Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

12 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

2 days until the flag drops. You in?

WHAT! I've only got two days left? I thought I still had 2 months. Oh well. I'll see what I can whip up anyway. I'll be more prepared for next year. 

49 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Finally ready with all of my R&D!! Cant Wait until Sunday:)

One question, will the stock and modded craft have different leaderboards and/or be in different categories?

I'm pretty sure modded and stock are in different categories. I also remember reading something about there being different sub-categories - electric only, fuel/electric, etc.

@Triop, am I right?

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

I'm pretty sure modded and stock are in different categories. I also remember reading something about there being different sub-categories - electric only, fuel/electric, fuel only, etc.

@Triop, am I right?

@TheEpicSquared, Going to be exhilarating! I wonder which one of us has engineered the better craft:) Who knowns, we have similar tastes, perhaps we engineered the same buggy :cool: We wont know until Sunday!  

46 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

2 days until the flag drops. You in?

I just downloaded the course and read the OP - so RL permitting I'm in. Prolly come in last but will enjoy anyway :)

23 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

I just downloaded the course and read the OP - so RL permitting I'm in. Prolly come in last but will enjoy anyway :)

I would be happy if i finished.

Edited by rkarmark

37 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I'm pretty sure modded and stock are in different categories. I also remember reading something about there being different sub-categories - electric only, fuel/electric, fuel only, etc.

@Triop, am I right?

I think fuel only would be one category too much. I'm guessing no-one will disable their motors and there's no reason to.

Was difficult, but I've finally made it through Stage 7.  So, yeah, definitely looking forward to this.  Won't win any prizes because this thing isn't exactly super fast, but on flat-ish ground, she'll haul upwards of 35 m/s, on actual flat ground, we're looking at 40 m/s, and I do anywhere from 10 to 25 m/s on the average brake-riding hill.

Haven't bothered calculating my time from this run, just was for practice.  I know it could be faster because I went way too wide in stage 5 or 6 and had to drive back to the flag, then I had multiple times where I overshot the flag at 15 m/s with the brakes on and had to back up to get my screenshot, so I'll have to work on that.

Just kinda proud it only took me 5 redesigns to come up with a craft that could survive all 7 stages of the Rally.

3 hours ago, Benji13 said:

WHAT! I've only got two days left? I thought I still had 2 months. Oh well. I'll see what I can whip up anyway. I'll be more prepared for next year. 

As far as I am aware we have until the last day in January to submit our entries 

On 10/12/2016 at 0:07 PM, Triop said:

The challenge will start 1st January 2017, with stage 1.

So is the plan to just do stage 1 on New Years Day and submit times with pics for stage 1 only before going on to stage 2 at a later date? Is it a 14 day event like the RL Dakar?

I have finally completed a circuit with a car. My biggest challenge seems to be the keyboard map. There has to be a way to make it so the button to make the car go is not the same as pitch forward. That one thing seems to cause almost all my crashes and spinouts by making the nose of my car dip after a jump if I don't get my finger off the button in time.

Is there a way to alter the keyboard map to allow me to use another button (any other button) to make the car go?

35 minutes ago, CranialRectosis said:

I have finally completed a circuit with a car. My biggest challenge seems to be the keyboard map. There has to be a way to make it so the button to make the car go is not the same as pitch forward. That one thing seems to cause almost all my crashes and spinouts by making the nose of my car dip after a jump if I don't get my finger off the button in time.

Is there a way to alter the keyboard map to allow me to use another button (any other button) to make the car go?

Its in the setting menu under 'other' I think. My controls are I= accelerate k= reverse and j and l for steering

40 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'm a VERY good pilot and a mk2 hovercraft is more or less a ground plane with smaller wings

AJ7B51M.png

This was what I attempted it in (stage 2 killed it)

Categories...Since I'm thinking every design will be unique, it's hard to make categories.

I will make a new thread on 1-1-17 where you can upload and discuss your results.

Remember, winner will be known in February, not sooner. ^_^

3 hours ago, CranialRectosis said:

So the simpler solution is to turn off my SAS wheels by default and assign them an action key. This way SAS isn't pitching my car forward in a flip for every jump.

Life is one big IQ test, particularly before lunch...:blush:

Edited by CranialRectosis

3 hours ago, CranialRectosis said:

The way I deal with this is is to drive in docking(translation) mode. That does require a little keyboard binding change; settings->Input->Vessel and then under Wheels enable "Docking (Translation)" for each of the WASD key bindings (IIRC "Staging" and "Docking (Rotation)" are enabled by default, I set it so all three are enabled).  
In flight hit "del" to go into docking mode ("ins" takes you back to staging mode) and then WASD gives you fwd/bck, left/right driving controls as expected without SAS input. (you can also then hit space to toggle Docking (Rotation) mode and then you get SAS input with the WASD keys (handy for making quick adjustments).

I've got a Q around taking the screenshots for the end of a stage. Having to come to a complete stop at stage-end flags feels a bit odd (from a race point of view), but also there can be an issue; if the rover has taken damage and some parts are misaligned it can produce phantom forces which in some cases can make it impossible to stop the rover completely (it keeps creeping/juddering forwards or backwards at~ <1m/s).  Sometimes this can be fixed with a quick tap of timewarp, but not always (if the forces are too great) in which case it requires getting the driver out and back in again, which adds some time before you can take a screenshot when fully stopped. 
Could we consider allowing moving finishing shots?