Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yup, I like it ... However don't expect me to take the route that you have laid out as I make my own roads :cool:

That is the spirit !

Will you take a straight line ?

Btw, I have a problem, the gates I used in the mod Races! might be too small for large vehicles....<_<

Edited by Triop

3 hours ago, Triop said:

That is the spirit !

Will you take a straight line ?

Probably not ... I'll be looking for the best jumps along the way :cool:

Bill's Bad Beaver was designed for speed and I bet I could make her fly if I tried ... I can get her up to over 160m/s from the runway to the start of the hills and she does like to be airborne

3 hours ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

Are quadcopters allowed?

Did you read the OP? ... Do you know what the Dakar Rally is?

Quadcopters are not dune buggies or offroad trucks, so I would expect not

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yup, I like it ... However don't expect me to take the route that you have laid out as I make my own roads :cool:

Inb4 flying Delorians. 

EDIT: who's the forum user with Doc Brown profile pic? I'd like to see what kind of rover he would field. 

EDIT2: ah, yes. @Majorjim!. Care to join the fun?

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Just now, Spacetraindriver said:

Unfortunately the Dakar Limited is being delayed due to school and finals...:(

KullKhit, *kuch, you may do the Stages whenever you like, after Jan. 1st that is. :wink:

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Triop - What happened to Bill?

2 hours ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

Are quadcopters allowed?

Bill the kerbal.... Thanks DoctorFrankenstein for bringing him back to life, do you see now why that doesn't work ????

Edited by Triop

17 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Are planes allowed? The inclusion of drones and jet engines yet no mention of planes confuses my tiny mind. Are they drone copters, drone planes, or both?

If planes aren't allowed, can they be?

Google Dakar

You are free to set up a planes challlenge using my track, but this challenge is driving only.

Edit: "my tiny mind". . . Is this also your work DoctorFrankenstein ?

^_^

Edited by Triop

28 minutes ago, Triop said:

Google Dakar

You are free to set up a planes challenge using my track, but this challenge is driving only.

Edit: "my tiny mind". . . Is this also your work DoctorFrankenstein ?

^_^

I know Dakar is a car race, but drones are allowed, which made me wonder if planes are allowed. Also, how do you build a drone in KSP?

Edited by Fireheart318

3 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I know Dakar is a car race, but drones are allowed, which made me wonder if planes are allowed. Also, how do you build a drone in KSP?

Drone stand for unmanned vehicle, it doesn't imply what type of vehicle.

You building a drone by removing Jeb and place a probe core instead :)

I think we should try to get a fitting definition. 

Airplane/drone: controlled flight above terrain.

Jumping car/rover/truck: uncontrolled flight above terrain.

Basically what I would do is ban the use of moving control surfaces and extremely cheaty stuff like reaction wheels (like I've done with my race track).

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

I think we should try to get a fitting definition. 

Airplane/drone: controlled flight above terrain.

Jumping car/rover/truck: uncontrolled flight above terrain.

Basically what I would do is ban the use of moving control surfaces and extremely cheaty stuff like reaction wheels (like I've done with my race track).

IMO I think that it should be made clear that this is a rover race and that flying craft aren't allowed

However, I disagree with no moving control surfaces or reaction wheels as this is the Dakar and anything goes ... You should be able get through each stage by any means necessary as long as you aren't flying your way to the flag (hitting jumps is a different story :wink:)

EDIT: Perhaps adding a rule that states no powered flight is allowed ... if you end up airborne and are using jet engines as propulsion then your engines must not provide thrust if your barreling through the air after hitting a bump (some 'bumps' are bigger than others :wink:)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Inb4 flying Delorians. 

EDIT: who's the forum user with Doc Brown profile pic? I'd like to see what kind of rover he would field. 

EDIT2: ah, yes. @Majorjim!. Care to join the fun?

Thanks for thinking of me! With no time to build a new car I would use my Rage buggy:

RzrDSOu.png

With more time I would make something new.

53 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

EDIT: Perhaps adding a rule that states no powered flight is allowed ... if you end up airborne and are using jet engines as propulsion then your engines must not provide thrust if your barreling through the air after hitting a bump (some 'bumps' are bigger than others :wink:)

Exactly what I had in mind, using jets while airborne = flying and I will not allow it.

Welcome to the club Majorjim! &)

Edited by Triop

So Bill made some tweaks to his Bad Beaver and is now hitting 142m/s (511km/h) on the flats and averaging around 110m/s (396km/h) over the hills ... His Bad Beaver likes the air

'We can always get it up ... getting it back down is where you run into problems'

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Wow that speed.

I'm thinking of using my new Charger 3.0. Not nearly as fast (it tops out at 88) but it's fun to drive.

Watch out for the rough terrain ... low hanging parts are guaranteed to get knocked off 

I also suggest some drogue chutes to slow you down if you get airborne ... landing at over 50m/s tends to break stuff :wink: