Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

5 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Watch out for the rough terrain ... low hanging parts are guaranteed to get knocked off 

I also suggest some drogue chutes to slow you down if you get airborne ... landing at over 50m/s tends to break stuff :wink:

Yeah I did the Elcano Challenge in 1.04 ... I know a lot about mishaps :D

Testrun with the new buggy: Stage 1, A fast stage with some hills.

KzIuySg.png

I had to stop for some sunbathing, that took a few minutes but I'm happy with my time.

Stage 2, Well, what can I say...updownupdownupdownupdown. :confused:

This happened 2x, but I miracly landed the right side up with no damage

nyX6P6J.png

Almost there...

d1RPKNR.png

Finish !

wPdjr6C.png

Now the car is ready to start Stage 3, but I'm scared after failing Stage 3 2x already....;.;

Edited by Triop

Stage 3, the hardest so far.

Drove completely the wrong way, steep hills, more braking than hitting the gas, BUT I MADE IT !

umonjna.png

L3Od7CP.png

Turned around here, to dangerous.

v0qIvzv.png

But I made it safe, next: Stage 4.

NcBxUK2.png

Stage 4, I was going to say boring, but fast.

Ac1enU3.png

And then 3.7 KM before the finish this happened...

07tENI6.png

Did reach the finish, but the car is beyond repair.

jaj97TY.png

0obOqu5.png

Dakar would be over for me.

FkaCVqM.png

But hey, the rollcage saved the kerbals life. ^_^

Edited by Triop

A tip guys, use the roadmap (I didn't), analyzing Stage 3 I saw I was going the wrong way from the start....

L3Od7CP.png

DzRSUf5.png

Also zoom out a lot to see what is coming....

Edited by Triop

Strange. I have the saved game installed but see no flags, The Races! mod opens it's GUI but shows no tracks.

Question: what terrain detail level will be mandatory? There's a huge difference between simple and max.

Edited by Azimech

7 hours ago, Triop said:

Just finished building a new buggy using my new frame, tests are looking good. &)

Looks great!! I too am making a new buggy, initial test are excellent, it might be the best handling rover I've ever made. It corners like it's on rails!

Just now, Majorjim! said:

Looks great!! I too am making a new buggy, initial test are excellent, it might be the best handling rover I've ever made. It corners like it's on rails!

I am learning that putting weight in the front creates downforce, so I as well am moving on:

Speeds and downforce is great, but crashes still hurts...:rolleyes:

Are you going to use the Races! mod for timing ?

Or would you prefer screenshots with the flag ?

I need feedback guys, use the mod or not.

15 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Great for a racetrack (just used my Charger on mine). For terrain ... I don't want too much grip.

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

I am learning that putting weight in the front creates downforce, so I as well am moving on:

I will ... but it doesn't work for me yet. Downloaded everything from the OP, installed it, put the .trk data in the Races! folder, nothing.

I don't see any flags either.

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Triop said:

I'm just using the flags and will use Vessel Mover to spawn a new buggy at the beginning of each stage (after the initial one) ... I'll take the hit of a few seconds at the beginning of each stage for ease of timing as I don't want to use the Races mod since there is too many files to download to set it up (perhaps packaging all the tracks into a zip might be in order)

11 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Great for a racetrack (just used my Charger on mine). For terrain ... I don't want too much grip.

I will ... but it doesn't work for me yet. Downloaded everything from the OP, installed it, put the .trk data in the Races! folder, nothing.

I don't see any flags either.

OK, That is information I need to know.

Anybody else has problems downloading/using files ?

No flags in the savefile ?

I will check it out later, real life gets in the way from time to time....<_<

1 minute ago, Triop said:

OK, That is information I need to know.

Anybody else has problems downloading/using files ?

No flags in the savefile ?

I will check it out later, real life gets in the way from time to time....<_<

Yeah and I wrote something else as well, a few of my posts back ^ :wink:

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm just using the flags and will use Vessel Mover to spawn a new buggy at the beginning of each stage (after the initial one) ... I'll take the hit of a few seconds at the beginning of each stage for ease of timing as I don't want to use the Races mod since there is too many files to download to set it up (perhaps packaging all the tracks into a zip might be in order)

What would you prefer ?

Flags or the Races! mod ?

I found the mod to be soooo simple and I'm looooooving it for timing.

Should I make a post where I explaine ?

Or should we stick to flag screenshots ?

Please give me feedback.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Strange. I have the saved game installed but see no flags, The Races! mod opens it's GUI but shows no tracks.

Question: what terrain detail level will be mandatory? There's a huge difference between simple and max.

I'm so sorry I've missed that, please notice that setting up a serious challenge + a teenage daughter = not even have time to pie.

13 minutes ago, Triop said:

What would you prefer ?

Flags or the Races! mod ?

I found the mod to be soooo simple and I'm looooooving it for timing.

Should I make a post where I explaine ?

Or should we stick to flag screenshots ?

Please give me feedback.

I'm so sorry I've missed that, please notice that setting up a serious challenge + a teenage daughter = not even have time to pie.

Hey, you don't have to explain nor apologize, we're all cool :-)

16 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm just using the flags ... one less mod to figure out and run as well as less stuff to download

One suggestion though: Try renaming the persistence.sfs to Dakar 2017.sfs ... It's easy to loose it or misplace it

Thank you for that information, uploading save files is new to me and the first reactions here gave me the feeling it worked, so I never checked.

In defence for the Races! mod, I think it is very simple to use, the best way to time a race.

It's a great mod that still works.

9 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Hey, you don't have to explain nor apologize, we're all cool :-)

I know that, Thanks for that comment, but you didn't answer 1 of my questions....^_^

Edited by Triop

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

Thank you for that information, uploading save files is new to me and the first reactions here gave me the feeling it worked, so I never checked.

In defence for the Races! mod, I think it is very simple to use, the best way to time a race.

It's a great mod that still works.

I know that, but I have respect (something you don't see very much nowdays).

Thanks for that comment, but you didn't answer 1 of my questions....^_^

I missed that too haha.

Okay, let's see ... I'm not sure what's wrong with the Races! mod so I'll stick to flags for now ... I might create videos, should be enough proof :-)

16 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I missed that too haha.

Okay, let's see ... I'm not sure what's wrong with the Races! mod so I'll stick to flags for now ... I might create videos, should be enough proof :-)

Video would be very cool.

I'm starting to think most people would like the flags to be the checkpoints, so I will drop the mod (or make it a sub-challenge,since it is completed.)

33 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

One suggestion though: Try renaming the persistence.sfs to Dakar 2017.sfs ... It's easy to loose it or misplace it

This is all new to me, I'll have to look into that tomorrow...

Goodnight guys.

I'll close off the day with this:

GTCfSgJ.png

LYykoBF.png

^_^

Edited by Triop

9 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I've never used the mod so I couldn't say. How do you time with the flags? Post a vid? 

I guess a screenshot with the time will have to do, and a shot of F3.

But guys, believe me, the mod is so simple and good for this challenge.

I will make a post tomorrow explaining it.

I to was sceptic, but the mod is so easy to learn.

Let Kottabos explain:

Solved the flag thing, was my own stoopidity. Did a test run. Couldn't help myself and was having too much fun, drove the entire thing in one go.

Nice route, @Triop! Didn't see much of the scenery though. Had a sort of ... ehm ... tunnel vision.

oc5PUP6.png

Afters passing stage 5 I thought it was the last ... drove towards finish. Oops, saw it on time, there's one more.

The mountains behind me I accelerated again. Wrecked a landing gear. Should've been a clear warning. I did it again, full thrust. This time I crashed it so hard ... lost the nose, front rover wheels, half of my engines and fuel tanks. My support landing gear kept it going so I stopped to reconfigure and limped home with a self-imposed max speed of 50.

7KmHked.png

Can't imagine anyone really being interested but I made a few videos along the way. I'll have to buy Bandicam for videos longer than 10 minutes and while driving it's not fun having to switch to desktop and check.

Edited by Azimech

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Can't imagine anyone really being interested but I made a few videos along the way. I'll have to buy Bandicam for videos longer than 10 minutes and while driving it's not fun having to switch to desktop and check.

If you're using windows 10 there is a built-in video recorder. Access it with "Win + G".

@Triop I know you're hard at work on this challenge already but do you consider making an official "Kerbal Dakar 2017" flag ? I'd love to customize my wreck rover with some, thanks to this mod :

Sorry, @Triop, this thread got a bit busy, so I kinda tuned out. 

I plan to just do screenshots, for my run. Videos are out of the question, and I'm on a bit of a mod purge spree. I think a screenshot at each gate, with log window open should be minimum proof, whatcha think Triop?

@Li0n, nice idea. I'd be happy to rock a race flag, myself. Seconded. 

@Majorjim! Glad to see you took the bait, haha. Your builds are always a good source of inspiration. 

Is the start date still Jan 1st? 

On 12/12/2016 at 4:59 AM, Azimech said:

I think we should try to get a fitting definition. 

Airplane/drone: controlled flight above terrain.

Jumping car/rover/truck: uncontrolled flight above terrain.

Basically what I would do is ban the use of moving control surfaces and extremely cheaty stuff like reaction wheels (like I've done with my race track).

My rover has an adjustable rear wing for downforce when needed as well as a reaction wheel for emergency adjustment mid-jump. Am I disqualified?