What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

It's true. There are a lot of towns that are smaller, and we probably wouldn't be happy living there. It's a balancing act.

Big enough for Walmart, small enough for no hi-rises.

Chilliwack has grown from 82k to 97k since I moved here in '06. I've lived in smaller towns in the 15-45k range,  but mostly grew up in Vancouver. so I'm not completely gobsmacked in the big cities.

But yeah, driving through LA was insane. Greater Vancouver tries to emulate it, though...with half the lanes...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

16 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Big enough for Walmart, small enough for no hi-rises.

Chilliwack has grown from 82k to 97k since I moved here in '06. I've lived in smaller towns in the 15-45k range,  but mostly grew up in Vancouver. so I'm not completely gobsmacked in the big cities.

But yeah, driving through LA was insane. Greater Vancouver tries to emulate it, though...with half the lanes...

Three Walmarts, actually. But yeah. We were talking with the kids about it when we were out in Orange County for Christmas with my wife's family. We were all, "So, you know how it takes us an hour-and-a-half to drive from our town to Phoenix? You can drive from one side of Los Angeles to another for an hour-and-a-half and never actually leave the city." They couldn't wrap their head around it.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Chilliwack has grown from 82k to 97k since I moved here in '06.

You did a hard work...

We have a (mini-town?) between two cities. and it takes a half of the total 40 min road duration to pass through this mini-town due to its traffic light.

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

My kids were supposed to be back in school this Tuesday, but the Pause button has been pushed for a week while the schools switch gears back to online

Do not like. Where is the anti-like button?

2 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

I had a military MRE. I didn’t really like it, (it was some kind of pasta) but the rock hard cookie was pretty good! The flameless heater was neat.

Please note, I am not in the armed forces.

When I was a kid my dad was a supply sergeant in the Army National Guard. My brother and I spent a lot of time hanging around the armory while my dad was working, and we wound up eating a lot of C-rations. Not MREs, this was pre-MRE days. These were honest-to-God MCI C-rations, the rectangular cardboard boxes loaded with steel cans. I always liked the canned pork, but my brother preferred the chicken or turkey loaf. But the absolute gold was the chocolate disks that came in some of the dessert cans. They were hard as rocks, apparently formulated to not melt until the cans did. But man did we fight over those things. Good times. :)

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Oh, did you get the one that says to prop it up on a “rock or something?” :D

Yeah. It was hilarious. Had a good laugh out of that. Used a few heat pads, like the ones that you put under pots.

It was chicken pesto pasta.

Yesterday I got a new school blazer, unfortunately I’m built like a belter so the shoulders are way too wide.

Today we visited the dentist, I was terrified.

They found holes, so I’ll have to go back some time so that I can undergo a medical procedure that would in all probability scare Frankenstein.

Snow day!

6 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Yesterday I got a new school blazer, unfortunately I’m built like a belter so the shoulders are way too wide.

Today we visited the dentist, I was terrified.

They found holes, so I’ll have to go back some time so that I can undergo a medical procedure that would in all probability scare Frankenstein.

Getting cavities filled usually isn't too bad; sometimes dreading something can make the experience worse. The main thing to be careful of is after they numb your lips/cheek; I once chewed the crap out of my lip because I couldn't feel them.

11 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Dental sedation is finally a thing. They can knock you out to varying degrees to minimize the (mental) trauma. 

Sorry, I don’t mean to plug anything, but this old dog learned a new trick. I made my first instagram reel ever, in support of my wife’s Pampered Chef sideline!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYaRYKvpGX3/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Hmm, needs some work on embedding, at least from mobile 

Just tried to google a medieval (not modern) picture of the flat earth lying on the elephants and the turtle, but surprisingly got none.
Only the modern ones.

A lot of other elephant miniatures, a lot of celestial spheres, but no mdieval discworld stuff.

Did the medievals even know that they were believing in that zoo?

Though, the medieval elephants themselves look great.

Spoiler

medieval-elephants2.jpgmiddle-ages-elephants1-1200x646.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX7xrSCu75NwzM1WUfGfc386b6d1d7588f5576d94ae19c5bb9a52--mediev

Edited by kerbiloid

On 1/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, kerbiloid said:

Just tried to google a medieval (not modern) picture of the flat earth lying on the elephants and the turtle, but surprisingly got none.
Only the modern ones.

A lot of other elephant miniatures, a lot of celestial spheres, but no mdieval discworld stuff.

Did the medievals even know that they were believing in that zoo?

Historical popularity of flat earth belief in Europe is extremely inflated.

17 minutes ago, DDE said:

Historical popularity of flat earth belief in Europe is extremely inflated.

But elephants? Where are elephants? The medieval artists should draw a lot of them in the astronomy and geography schoolbooks, but I can't remember any.

So for Christmas, my daughter and her bf bought me a few books: The Apollo Murders (which was a great read; highly recommended for space fans), as well as Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I just picked that one up when I only now notice that it's a sequel to The Shining, which they also gave me. It's been decades since I read that one (scared the crap out of me the first time, just like The Amityville Horror did) and it's not on my shelf so I put it there for future reading. But now I see I need to read that one first. So here goes....

Let's make a summary.

1. A horror book had scared you.
2. You keep it somewhere deep in the shed and didn't want to open it anymore.
3. Unexpectedly there appeared its sequel.
4. You feel an unconscious call to find the elder book where it lives now, open it, and combine both parts...

Did I miss something?

Don't forget to properly self-equip before reading.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by kerbiloid

31 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The Apollo Murders (which was a great read; highly recommended for space fans)

Reading it right now, One of the best books ive read, great book, great author (also my favorite astronaut).

17 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Let's make a summary.

1. A horror book had scared you.
2. You keep it somewhere deep in the shed and didn't want to open it anymore.
3. Unexpectedly there appeared its sequel.
4. You feel a n unconscious call to find the elder book where it lives now, open it, and combine both parts...

Did I missed something?

Don't forget to properly self-equip before reading.

Hide contents

giphy.gif

Yeah, that about sums it up. Put that way, it sounds like there should be a screenplay (soon to be a major motion picture!) in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, I have neither a chainsaw, a shotgun, nor Ash available to me. Not even a Necronomicon. Hope the power doesn't go out while I'm reading it, given the snow and ice storms parading through here. It's like wintering at the Overlook Hotel here right now...

mispelled Necronomicon. Probably not a good thing to do.