What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I got panarchist's permission to use PSA Greenhouse, yay!

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Oh, yes, I remember him.

It's the guy from the Night in Museum 2.

Hide contents

Night-at-the-Museum-2-featured-image-128

The thing to the left is the student.

I didn't know that Adsii was in night at the museum!

I'm going to rewatch it now!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

This morning marks the third day of the last week of the term. It is this time of the term, and it happens three times a year, that my small meager office on campus feels more like this:

SicilyTemple.jpg

And the emails and visits from students appear to regard me not as a lowly non-tenured guest professor of history, but as

WU77521A4.jpg

For those of you who do not know, that's Horace, the Egyptian sky deity. Anyhow, this time of the semester, I am besieged with requests, prayers, offerings, requests, and so forth, to allow those who have procrastinitus* one last opportunity to try and pass the course. So, this morning was no different than any of the other mornings so far this week. Lots of begging because of computer dying, boss is a jerk, boyfriend/girlfriend changed the WiFi password, Internet was shut off, you get the general idea. And as I said before, it's been this way each year, for three semesters, since I began teaching at the university level in 2004.

But this morning, in my email, was this request:

I need an extensen on my paper. My pet taranchula was abjected by aliens last nite.

Okay, I admit it. For some reason, this is funny. Yeah, a first year community college student - and this is his reasoning why he needs an extension. You know, it is such an original reason, I might just give in and let him have the one day he's asking for. After all... Folks, seriously, this is probably the funniest email I've received from a student in a very long time. :D:sticktongue:

https://slapwank.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Funny-Alien-Memes-1.jpg

*Procrastinitus: a dreaded disease that causes people to wait to the last minute on everything they do, to suddenly become overwhelmed by the amount of work they have to do. It results in a mental collapse and anguish. 

You made me think of this.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You should forward that to his English professor just so you can hear the screams from across campus. 

Hahaha! Listen, the person he has for English (this is his second attempt at the same course) is a person I consider a friend. I did forward her the email and her response was simply this:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. At least he's consistent.

And it leads me to this comment:

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

palpatine-star-wars.gif

Um, won't be able to share anything but the email with his English prof. There has to be something submitted for me to share the paper. He claims to have been to the campus writing center three times last week. Bad thing is they make everyone sign in who comes for assistance. I've checked. He's not been there. :o Actually, not that emoji. This one is more appropriate: :/

On 11/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

I watched independence day, and discovered that movies are a lot more fun when you haven't looked up how they end before they end.

This is a book, but still.

I read 2001 a space odyssey. It was really intense, because I knew Hal was going to turn evil. I don’t think I would have liked it that much otherwise.

On the topic of books -> films, there are times where the film does such a terrible hatchet job of the original story that it seems inconceivable how they’re going to manage to make the rest of the books into films due to glaring plot holes,

Example: Mortal Engines. You had ONE JOB, guys- blow up London. It was a crucial part of the sequels that London got blown up, indeed it’s a critical plot line through the fourth book (A Darkling Plain) that London blows up, and in the middle of nowhere too. But no, the filmmakers decided that it would be better for it to just… stop. Right in the middle of a very conspicuous valley in front of the big wall that is also an important part of the plot throughout the books, which London just blasted in half (which didn’t happen in the book at all!). I liked the books, but disliked the film because it merrily trampled over the story of not just the first book but the entire series, all for the sake of making the final battle have more explosions.

/rant :blush:

Update:

22 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

But this morning, in my email, was this request:

I need an extensen on my paper. My pet taranchula was abjected by aliens last nite.

There was no paper submitted by this student - even with the one-day extension. To be honest, I am not surprised. I think there's more going on in his life than what he's telling everyone. How do I know? Let me explain...

My-Sources-Aliens-Alien-Meme.jpg

Edited by adsii1970
XD Oh, I could not resist!

What is "necroposting"?

When somebody posts several months/years after the previous post.

Say, a year, or three, or even seven...

But this one is just 

Spoiler

71Dbog9DQ7L.jpg

Literally!

№ 6   16-09-2021 01:18

№ 5   26-11-2001 13:06

№ 4   26-11-2001 12:52

Edited by kerbiloid

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

What is "necroposting"?

But this one is just 

Hide contents

71Dbog9DQ7L.jpg

Literally!

Welp! That makes my 7 year necro look puny.

Edited by AtomicTech

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

What is "necroposting"?

But this one is just 

Hide contents

71Dbog9DQ7L.jpg

Literally!

I'm amazed that a website active in 2001 is still working in 2021 so that someone could access it, let alone post on it. :confused:

41 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I'm amazed that a website active in 2001 is still working in 2021 so that someone could access it, let alone post on it. :confused:

It was the most known Borland Delphi programming site in Russian, and it's still breathing.

2 hours ago, tater said:

I remember telling Steve Jackson how I met my wife playing Car Wars.

Yeah, I told him (and I think I told the story on here, but not sure) how I got into wargaming when I was 9 back in 1977. I saw an ad for Metagaming Microgames in the back of my brother's copy of Galaxy magazine. I thought it was something like those old Helen of Toy sets you used to buy in the back of the comic books, with the plastic soldiers and tanks, so I sent away for Ogre, a game of futuristic tank warfare (the first wargame designed by Steve Jackson), fully expecting to receive a set of miniature plastic tanks. And instead I received a rulebook, a paper map, and a bunch of cardboard counters. I was so disappointed. But then I started reading it and realized what it actually was, played it a couple of times, and I was hooked. The rest is history.

Back in 2017 Steve Jackson Games actually released a line of plastic miniatures for Ogre via Kickstarter. I bought in for a bunch of them, and I dropped them a line telling them this story, letting them know that I appreciated that they had finally shipped me the miniature plastic tanks I had ordered, and that I forgave them for the 40-year shipping delay. :D

12 minutes ago, tater said:

There was a previous set in the 90s of minis—I was talking to him because I helped him out with those (I have the set he gave me around here someplace).

Yeah, those were the metal minis. I wasn't into gaming as much when those were being produced. That was during my "Moving all over the planet" phase.

I just finished some updates for Linuxgurugamer's BrickMod Updated. 

I'm still kind of in awe that I'm getting to work with THE Linuxgurugamer.

I feel like I'm meeting my childhood hero and he's as awesome as I thought he was.