What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 12/28/2017 at 9:28 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m shocked that even in the SE United States, it’s even warm enough to grow any plant. With stuff like Winter Storm Benji and this massive Artic cold plunge, I doubted that anywhere would be safe from the cold. 

Quick follow-up on this... now it's getting cold enough at night here I may have to bring my plants inside... brrrr...... 

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I spent the first three hours of 2018 trying to steal some guy's socks on an inflatable obstacle course.

Like some American Ninja kind of course??? 

I tried playing orbiter on my laptop, it works! On 2fps that is.

The only games i can play on that thing is ThePowderToy and maybe even a little Minecraft.

Im not a gamer guy but i think i would like a new laptop, the one i got now has been through some stuff. Is 5 years long enough to ask for a replacement?

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Im not a gamer guy but i think i would like a new laptop, the one i got now has been through some stuff. Is 5 years long enough to ask for a replacement?

I think 5 years is definitely long enough to ask for a replacement, though if your desktop is powerful, your parents might only be willing to buy something with average performance.

Heck, my PC is 2 years old and my parents are already suggesting we buy a better one :D

On December 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Earthlinger said:

Everyone seems to be getting new laptops, and I'm just sitting here with my i3 processor like, 'Haha, have fun guys..!" :D

Also, four dots! :)

*Is using a 2012 Toshiba laptop* I don't wanna talk about it 

On January 1, 2018 at 7:55 AM, Aperture Science said:

Mate, my laptop has a dual core Celeron. I have to measure my framerate in frames per minute.

Sounds like me playing f1 2016

(fun fact: I got so used to the lag, when I played f1 2013 (with no lag at all), I couldn't hardly drive it was so twitchy. :P 

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Quick follow-up on this... now it's getting cold enough at night here I may have to bring my plants inside... brrrr...... 

*Its so cold the highways are icing over* :mad:

Had no school today due to Winter Storm Grayson dropping a foot of snow on us. With all that free time, I decided to search for more planet candidates in K2 Campaign 14 data. I found quite a LOT, including four 3-planet systems, a likely Hyper-Earth, a Mercury-sized candidate orbiting every 6 hours, some Earth-sized rocky planets, and more. My cat Pumpkin and the new foster cat (both of which I mentioned last week) were able to bond a lot today as well, so much so that by the end of the day they were laying on the same bed together. 

There’s no school tomorrow as well, so who knows how many more planets I’ll find, or how the cats will continue to accept each other. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Had no school today due to Winter Storm Grayson dropping a foot of snow on us

Only a foot and school gets canceled? :D Up here it takes more than that. 

I got a message on my recently-created Soundcloud from a friendly robot who is a "talent recruiter" and would like me to buy her advertisement packages to help me spread word about my good music. It seems I will have to stay vigilant for those pesky robots. A few real humans have listened to my music, though, including the creator of the software I use!

This just happened...

I was heading home from a friends, coming north on US-19, when suddenly I see a wall of flashing lights headed my way...

I don't know exactly what's going on, but I counted 15... FIFTEEN... cop-cars headed south, really, really fast... :0.0:

I didn't catch if there was a car in front of them, but I have a weird feeling I may have just seen a high-speed chase.

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

... but I have a weird feeling I may have just seen a high-speed chase.

Either that or a 50% off sale on Crispy Creme Doughnuts.

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This just happened...

I was heading home from a friends, coming north on US-19, when suddenly I see a wall of flashing lights headed my way...

I don't know exactly what's going on, but I counted 15... FIFTEEN... cop-cars headed south, really, really fast... :0.0:

I didn't catch if there was a car in front of them, but I have a weird feeling I may have just seen a high-speed chase.

Psss...Which way did they go? Can I come out yet?

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I lived in Brussels (Belgium) for all of 2016 and part of 2017. So I was around for all those terrorist attacks/raids. Literally saw convoys of military trucks and police cars daily, though none of them were chases.

20 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

I lived in Brussels (Belgium) for all of 2016 and part of 2017. So I was around for all those terrorist attacks/raids. Literally saw convoys of military trucks and police cars daily, though none of them were chases.

I wondered the same thing... the Pulse nightclub is only a few hours from here, and there are uncountable other targets in Orlando or Tampa/St. Pete...

But I've been all over the local news websites and nothing... Weird.

The only big news is a store only a couple miles from here sold a $450 million Mega Millions jackpot ticket last night. But no-one I know has called me freaking out... bummer... :P

Went to my friend, Diego's b-day party tonight. He's a hunter (along with his entire family), and enjoyed all sorts of meats they procured themselves. Elk, antelope, and big horn sheep as some of the larger critters, as well as fish and roe, etc. Meat and excellent wine. Great time.

Oh... wow... I just realized what I've been doing this morning, and it's kind of funny.

For all those people, myself included, who thought you'd never, ever use one of these goofy math problems in real life... check this out... this was my morning project.

If an airship is leaving an island and heading approximately 1000 kilometers east at 60 m/s, and a Platypus amphibious rover is leaving the exact same island, heading approximately 150 kilometers southwest at 15 m/s... calculate how far apart (time) each must leave so they reach their destinations at approx. the same time... 

Yeah... and I said I'd never do these again... thanks KSP... hehehe  :sticktongue:

(Oh, FYI... I already know the answer...) 

Edited by Just Jim

Blinds* update: Day 2.

The blinds* are (somewhat) working again! We got close to making them work again several times, but the wire/string/belt/whatever always loosed enough to break away. We put a screw into the coil to act as a hook because the original one broke off too. Then some of the blinds* weren't connected to another properly, we accidentally connected the coil in the wrong direction (rolled clockwise instead of counterclockwise),...

In short: Problems were solved, new problems arose.

The belt also broke off that screw. Understandable; these blinds* aren't light, they weigh quite a lot. The working solution was, ironically: Moar Screws!

I can't fully open the blinds* unfortunately, but I can open them to about 4/5. That's enough for me.

* I don't think "blinds" is the appropriate word to use, since blinds are on the inside of the building. These are on the outside and solid, not folding.

8 minutes ago, qzgy said:

@CatastrophicFailure pointed me to the show 'Firefly'. Watched the first episode of it today. My impressions? "Ehhhh its quite slow"

Maybe it gets better later.

Yes... it does... I got hooked around episode 3... I think it was the 3rd... Called Bushwacked

And completely hooked bad by Ariel, when you start to learn the real truth about River... :wink:

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

@CatastrophicFailure pointed me to the show 'Firefly'. Watched the first episode of it today. My impressions? "Ehhhh its quite slow"

Maybe it gets better later.

@Just Jim beat me to it. Also, what episode are you starting with? They were broadcast out of order, and that’s usually the preferred way of watching them. :) But make sure you watch The Message last. Because.... reasons.... ;.;