[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

7 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Will remember that for when I toy with GPP in the future (using OPM (Outer Planets Mod) right now, and if you are using it with CustomAsteroids all the outer planets (including Jool) gain sub-systems of asteroids e.g. Sarnus has a fairly dense, low-inclination, low-eccentricity asteroid belt within its rings and Plock has a very sparse population on extremely high, multi-year orbits).

6 hours ago, Urses said:

The only thing i say is, GPP is a EyeCandy and One of the worlds wich is aktualy generated for playing well with USI Constelation.

GPP is indeed made for several of the USI mods. :wink: It's also about to become even friendlier to ART.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I tried adding a Rock cfg to the kontainers, 

And it was glorious. I needed a reason to practice texture switching on these kontainers. Now do I create my own branch in Github desktop in order to make a pull request...? 

v1Hw668.jpg

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

it's looking more like there's classes of efficiency parts and converters, and each class of one pairs with the appropriate class of the other - but neither are actually defined in the config files as far as I can tell

The class is the eTag attribute in config files (both in ModuleEfficiencyPart and in MKSModule).

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

And it was glorious. I needed a reason to practice texture switching on these kontainers. Now do I create my own branch in Github desktop in order to make a pull request...? 

<schnip>

Shove that in a PR (though maybe the Rock texture shouldn't be the same colour as the Dirt configuration?), all of us ART users need that! In my partial cfg I gave the tanks varying capacities of Rock that scaled with their dry mass ratio to the RA-350 (so one that weighed 0.375t would hold (0.375/0.15)*1750=4375 Rock). Not sure what i was doing wrong for the original texture paths, but <3.

Edited by voicey99

@voicey99 I don't know how to do a PR. This is my first time looking to commit something to a repo I'm not a member of. The Rock texture is slightly redder than the Dirt texture but if you need a unique color just drop a hex code and I'll adjust accordingly.

Or how about this. Somewhat and somehow eroded or acid-sprayed. The gold paint that once was now revealing copper. :P 

iKTi9OO.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

GPP is indeed made for several of the USI mods. :wink: It's also about to become even friendlier to ART.

In what way is GPP made for USI mods? I installed it once but then after finding it has a total absence of even just one little impact crater anywhere in the whole solar system my sensibilities where shocked so deeply I had to uninstall it again immediately.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yes like States by you and Gallileo at the OP. But i would not release a war between all LS and Colonisatuon Mods here to make it "clear here" we are the best :wink: And i will not say that i know wich way you will go next.

For ART is the Asteroid Belt in GPP a realy big step in the right direction!

@JadeOfMaar and @voicey99

It looks like my littel complaint brough a landslide down the hill :wink: What next? Full integration of alista's "Modular Containers" because he have Modular in the name?:kiss:

@notthebobo

This idea is realy good! If you are big build bigger:cool: I realy would See this concept as a Asteroid solution for far Space. Big Master surrounded by small at equator but kraken dislike it if there are to many Boulders docked on each other... Why i Must think at Perry Rhodan if i see your concept?

And the next step for USI would be something like "Gravitation asisted solar pumped orbital asteroid ressource processing" ? :D

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

@JadeOfMaar Thanks for ninjasupport! Realy appreciate /*hat lift/

25 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

In what way is GPP made for USI mods? I installed it once but then after finding it has a total absence of even just one little impact crater anywhere in the whole solar system my sensibilities where shocked so deeply I had to uninstall it again immediately.

Lol! In particular, resource distributions were meticulously configured and not left to the will of the RNG, to make everyone who uses MKS think a little differently and a little harder when they mount up their drills. :wink: If you look in its resources folder you will find a cfg for nearly every CRP resource, not just Karbonite. If and when you find a place that has no Ore, no Gypsum, no Water... or nothing but Water...that is on purpose. There is so much Karbonite you'll be able to do things with it that no one has ever tried before or things that are generally impossible in other solar systems, and 4 or 5 places to get Karborndum.

@Urses No one's bringing any argument or war between life support mods. With the amount of attention given to resources alone, every life support mod is well covered and should be at peace. About that asteroid belt... It's going to lose a bit in size. However, there are going to be asteroid belts elsewhere in addition to it. Custom Asteroids mod not required.

You're welcome btw /Ninjasupport

Edited by JadeOfMaar

23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol! In particular, resource distribution.../snip

@Urses  However, there are going to be asteroid belts elsewhere in addition to it. Custom Asteroids mod not required.

You're welcome btw /Ninjasupport

Yep like Gipsum OR Minerals..both at same Place? Run sweety :P

And for me i hope something like Cuiper...:)

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@voicey99 I don't know how to do a PR. This is my first time looking to commit something to a repo I'm not a member of. The Rock texture is slightly redder than the Dirt texture but if you need a unique color just drop a hex code and I'll adjust accordingly.

Or how about this. Somewhat and somehow eroded or acid-sprayed. The gold paint that once was now revealing copper. :P 

<schnip>

It's easy-ish© . Go on GH and click the "fork" button at the top right of the page-this will clone the repository to your account. Now go into your forked repo and make your changes as normal. Then, go into the main MKS repo and open a new pull request-after clicking "compare across forks", select your fork ("[YOURNAME]/MKS") from the "head fork" dropdown, "BobPalmer/MKS" from the "base fork" and "DEVELOP" from the "base". Now it will create a PR to add any changes ("commits") you've made in your fork into the main dev repo.

Perhaps hexcode #787373 would work (since that's the typical colour of most KSP asteroids, and therefore the rock)?

On a side note, might I request that Rock mining would be expanded to surface extraction as well as just asteroids? Maybe, for balance, it should only be directly mineable on rocky bodies with no overlying dirt or dust (Mun, Moho, Ike etc.), extractable from Dirt on dusty, soily or semi-icy bodies (Duna, Laythe, Eeloo etc.) and not mineable at all on wholly icy bodies (Minmus, Vall etc).

Edited by voicey99

6 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

The class is the eTag attribute in config files (both in ModuleEfficiencyPart and in MKSModule).

Thanks, I'd seen that on the ModuleEfficiencyPart but had been looking at ModuleResourceConverter_USI for the pairing, and hadn't thought to check MKSModule.

22 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

On a side note, might I request that Rock mining would be expanded to surface extraction as well as just asteroids? Maybe, for balance, it should only be directly mineable on rocky bodies with no overlying dirt or dust (Mun, Moho, Ike etc.), extractable from Dirt on dusty, soily or semi-icy bodies (Duna, Laythe, Eeloo etc.) and not mineable at all on wholly icy bodies (Minmus, Vall etc).

Hmm.  Interesting ideas here - I wonder if you could make Kerbals able to collect Rock on their own, at a small pace? (Or just add the resource extractor to the Konstruction counterweights.)  The idea being you don't 'mine' it exactly - you pick up whatever's loose and laying around.

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Thanks, I'd seen that on the ModuleEfficiencyPart but had been looking at ModuleResourceConverter_USI for the pairing, and hadn't thought to check MKSModule.

Hmm.  Interesting ideas here - I wonder if you could make Kerbals able to collect Rock on their own, at a small pace? (Or just add the resource extractor to the Konstruction counterweights.)  The idea being you don't 'mine' it exactly - you pick up whatever's loose and laying around.

Actually, it could be produced as a byproduct of other mining and refining. Say you're digging up metallic ore (presumable ilmenite, FeTiO3) on the Mun-on Earth the best iron ore grades are ~65%, which means for every kilotonne of metallic ore extracted you should get about 650t of useful ore for processing and 350t of rock tailings. As for drills, the vast bulk of what they dig up will also be rock, but this would be a vastly overpowered source of Rock unless toned down significantly.

Edited by voicey99

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Perhaps hexcode #787373 would work (since that's the typical colour of most KSP asteroids, and therefore the rock)?

Thanks. I updated the burn look to go with it. With the new and finished orange accents I think it will sufficiently stand out from every other tank texture.

If it's preferred that the bar grid on the normal vector remain orange -> white, rather than orange -> dark (see previous screenshot), let me know then I'll make thePR.

ayKSs9j.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Just now, RoverDude said:

@JadeOfMaar - Nice work!  Looking forward to the PR :)

RE surface rock as a byproduct, I'm fine with that.  Would be easy enough to have it as a converter byproduct on tier 1 materials, as well as adding it as a drillhead option.

If I were to PR that in, what ratio of products:byproducts would be looking at and what sort of drill output (same as Dirt?)?

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

If I were to PR that in, what ratio of products:byproducts would be looking at and what sort of drill output (same as Dirt?)?

Let's go with a 1:1 for processors (so there's still a lot of waste), and same rate as dirt for a dedicated drillhead.  So drilling is preferred, but a secondary side effect if you're getting stuff post processing.  Make sure when you add them to processors that they dump excess!  And thanks!

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol! In particular, resource distributions were meticulously configured and not left to the will of the RNG, to make everyone who uses MKS think a little differently and a little harder when they mount up their drills. :wink: If you look in its resources folder you will find a cfg for nearly every CRP resource, not just Karbonite. If and when you find a place that has no Ore, no Gypsum, no Water... or nothing but Water...that is on purpose. There is so much Karbonite you'll be able to do things with it that no one has ever tried before or things that are generally impossible in other solar systems, and 4 or 5 places to get Karborndum.

As it happens, I'm far enough in my new USI/GPP career to have just finished the resource scans for Iota/Ceti (Mun/Munmus replacements). Luckily, all seemed to be fairly normal.  Planned out where the bases should go and where the MPLs should go.  All pretty normal stuff from a gameplay experience, but a bit harder and visually awesome. Also used the dev version of Scansat and it worked really well.

Tough though

I have seen Rock more as a Dirt orbital edition:D

But if we see in more closely Dirt is something that goes through many chemikal processes and Rock is more the base stuff for it. More cristaline maybe vulkanik. Dirt is than more contaminated not realy efficient to reproces but realy light to find. Rock is more interesting because it is more nativ/natural and may contain something unic from the first days of universe in (Karbonite:wink:).

PS: never though how far one question can bring you! 

Thanks at @RoverDude , @voicey99 and @JadeOfMaar !

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

It's a box of rocks, it's going to get bashed around and that paint is going to come off. The burn might look a bit more natural as dispersed patches of flaky paint, but otherwise looks good to me.

I've been meditating on that already but for the time being I wanted to hold a lot to the convention of the other styles. Maybe I'll stray indeed and try to make some peeling paint effects too.

12 minutes ago, Urses said:

PS: never though how far one question can bring you! 

Amazing, huh. I'm seeing that for myself now, as you mention it.

The man has spoken! :D 

By the way, @RoverDude is it possible that I may put my hands on the Karbonite converter parts? Two of the modules are named LH2/Ox, Ox/LH2 when I believe it should be LH2(+O2) and O2(+LH2) as Oxygen, not Oxidizer comes out of them. Perhaps condense them into one module with dumpexcess = true on both outputs.

Edited by JadeOfMaar