[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

@RoverDude I've also noticed an inconsistency in life support window reports. It shows over 3 years of hab for 12 kerbals in VAB, but only shows 1 year for five kerbals when the base is actually deployed. All the hab modules are turned on.

yHqv95R.png

vY5np4W.png

Edited by sh1pman

Local logistics tab seems bugged as well. It offers me to transfer LF/O, even though there is no LFO storage on the "MatKit Delivery" vessel. On the other hand, it doesn't allow me to transfer materialkits when there clearly is a storage for them availible on both vessels.

m43YvwH.png

Edited by sh1pman

How does the Scout landing module's "weight transfer" feature work?  Does it just move the Scout's CoM around within its bounding box to try to center the vessel's overall CoM?  Or is it something more magical than that?

Also, @RoverDude, I think the labeling on the weight transfer activate/deactivate button may be inverted: when I click "Disable Weight Transfer", the CoM marker moves downward and toward the centerline of my lander, and when I click "Enable Weight Transfer", it moves upward (away from the Scout at the bottom) and off-center.  (Edit: nevermind, it's something else; see #1107.)

(I'm trying to troubleshoot a rocket with a Scout-based lander that pitches severely during launch if I have unbalanced Ranger parts attached around the base of the Scout.  I think the problem is just that the attached parts are shifting the CoM more than the Scout's weight transfer is able to compensate for, but I'm not certain since I'm unsure of how the weight transfer works.)

Edited by Wyzard

19 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

How does the Scout landing module's "weight transfer" feature work?  Does it just move the Scout's CoM around within its bounding box to try to center the vessel's overall CoM?  Or is it something more magical than that?

Also, @RoverDude, I think the labeling on the weight transfer activate/deactivate button may be inverted: when I click "Disable Weight Transfer", the CoM marker moves downward and toward the centerline of my lander, and when I click "Enable Weight Transfer", it moves upward (away from the Scout at the bottom) and off-center.

(I'm trying to troubleshoot a rocket with a Scout-based lander that pitches severely during launch if I have unbalanced Ranger parts attached around the base of the Scout.  I think the problem is just that the attached parts are shifting the CoM more than the Scout's weight transfer is able to compensate for, but I'm not certain since I'm unsure of how the weight transfer works.)

It disables physics on the child parts and adds the weight to the scout. So no actual limits on the amount it will transfer.

Also the button is the correct way around for me.

WvtiarM.jpg

It'll only do this for parts with 'ModuleWeightDistributableCargo' though. What parts have you got attached?

@sh1pman I assume you have a supply of Machinery nearby? I don't see a kontainer of it anywhere in the picture (dunno if you have some in the modules themselves), but for some bizarre reason inflatable hab modules need it to run (if the module isn't full it will run at proportionally decreased effectiveness)

Also, use the arrows at the top of the local logistics window to switch cargo lists. When three or more vessels are nearby, they simply switch target vessels but when it is only two vessels I think they list (from L to R) cargoes that can be transferred between your vessel and the other vessel, all cargoes your vessel has, cargoes that can be transferred between the other vessel and yours and all cargoes the other vessel has. Not sure why it doesn't list MKT, try twiddling with the top arrows to bring up different lists. It only lists these for warehouse-enabled parts, but LF/OX are included by default.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

@sh1pman I assume you have a supply of Machinery nearby? I don't see a kontainer of it anywhere in the picture (dunno if you have some in the modules themselves), but for some bizarre reason inflatable hab modules need it to run (if the module isn't full it will run at proportionally decreased effectiveness)

Also, use the arrows at the top of the local logistics window to switch cargo lists. When three or more vessels are nearby, they simply switch target vessels but when it is only two vessels I think they list (from L to R) cargoes that can be transferred between your vessel and the other vessel, all cargoes your vessel has, cargoes that can be transferred between the other vessel and yours and all cargoes the other vessel has. Not sure why it doesn't list MKT, try twiddling with the top arrows to bring up different lists. It only lists these for warehouse-enabled parts, but LF/OX are included by default.

The hab modules are full of machinery. 

YjtRoeR.png

7 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

but for some bizarre reason inflatable hab modules need it to run (if the module isn't full it will run at proportionally decreased effectiveness)

It's not bizzare when you understand the concept. The inflatables are just empty spaces when inflated. MaterialKits are then the structural supports, the floors, dividing walls, storage spaces and worktops and other things like that. Machinery is then the actual equipment and machinery the module needs to run. So in a hab module that would be beds, couches computers, pin ball machines, things that will be consumed and need replacing over time. So the more things like that in a hab the better the rating. A Hab with no machinery would be like a prison cell.

12 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

It disables physics on the child parts and adds the weight to the scout. So no actual limits on the amount it will transfer.

Ah, OK, that makes sense.

I did some more experimentation and found that the weight transfer just doesn't seem to work at all for some parts — including the MK-V Supply Redi-Pak that's attached to it on my lander.  I've created issue #1107.

Just now, Wyzard said:

Ah, OK, that makes sense.

I did some more experimentation and found that the weight transfer just doesn't seem to work at all for some parts — including the MK-V Supply Redi-Pak that's attached to it on my lander.  I've created issue #1107.

Ahh ok, i thought that'd would be the issue. I did a pass across the MKS parts and updated a few with this module last release. I hadn't thought to check the Kontainers, i'll do that now and get a PR submitted with the fixes.

@dboi88 I suppose that does make sense but what doesn't is the fact that only the inflatable habs need machinery. Maybe this could be extended to all habs (and possible use ColonySupplies or something to distinguish it from industrial machinery, since you don't need sofas, tvs and lampshades to run a smelter).

Just now, voicey99 said:

@dboi88 I suppose that does make sense but what doesn't is the fact that only the inflatable habs need machinery. Maybe this could be extended to all habs (and possible use ColonySupplies or something to distinguish it from industrial machinery, since you don't need sofas, tvs and lampshades to run a smelter).

Hmm i hadn't realized the other habs didn't use it, not sure why that is i agree they should all use machinery. Maybe RoverDude has some insight. ColonySupplies are purposefully an endgame resource (very complicated manufactoring process) so that wouldn't work for habs. You could add another named resource but it wouldn't add enough value. It's simple enough that everything uses machinery.

You don't need those things to run a smelter but you do need machinery . . 

I just hope he doesn't extend it yet, I have yet to add machinery kontainers to all my bases and stations so if he makes all habs require machinery to soon all my kerbs will grump out instantly thanks to the habs shutting down.

@Wyzard I've submitted a PR with the fixes, for now you can edit the .cfg's and add the below to the parts that aren't working. (or any other part you want to take part, i've added it to lots of other kontainers and parts)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeightDistributableCargo
	}	

15 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

If I have a crewed 'Duna' Logistics module on the surface, and a rocket within 150m, is it possible to use logistics to push all the rocket's contents into planetary storage so that the rocket can be disassembled for Material Kits?

You'll need some material kits storage connected to the Duna logistics module. Then when you push with local logistics to the storage onboard the extra will be sent to PL.

Or if you connect using KAS pipes you can turn off the tank with the material kits and it'll send it to PL that way.

Edit, sorry misread and though it was only materialkits you were wanting to trasnfer, you'll need storage for the resources you want to transfer as well.

Edited by dboi88

Right, narrowed down the hab issue a bit. It doesn't look like the hab-quarters is functioning, unless it is a coincidence that the hab time of the colony when displayed in the VAB with 5 kerbals after the quarters has been replaced by non-hab modules (in this case landercans) is exactly the same as the remaining hab time of the existing colony plus its MET.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Right, narrowed down the hab issue a bit. It doesn't look like the hab-quarters is functioning, unless it is a coincidence that the hab time of the colony when displayed in the VAB with 5 kerbals after the quarters has been replaced by non-hab modules (in this case landercans) is exactly the same as the remaining hab time of the existing colony plus its MET.

It's the Inflatable Hab set to Hab-Common that isn't producing the correct effect. It has a multiplier of 5.2 but only increases the hab timer by around 100 days when switched on and off.

So it was all a coincidence then? I did notice the lack of hab-common effect so I remade the base in the VAB-replacing the quarters with non-hab modules and the common with a module that only added crew cap and kerbal-months-both yielded similar results. Given the discrepancy between it being turned on and off, it it possible that it is only adding the hab time and not the multiplier?

PS imgur is down (at least for me) so that link above doesn't work right now

Edited by voicey99