Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

El Grando Smokio

I'll have two number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

Edited by Guest

Couple of good ones come from Schlock Mercenary's "Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries"...

2. A sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on. (Consultation with IRL veterans has resulted in a more generalized "An NCO in motion outranks a clueless butterbar.")

3. An ordinance technician at a dead run outranks everyone.

14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"

17. The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.

29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy; no more, no less. (An often forgotten lesson from life, no?)

31. Only cheaters prosper. (Alternately, "he who fights fairly, loses.")

32. Anything is amphibious if you can get it back out of the water.

35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. (Popular with the veteran community, that one. :rolleyes:)

41. "Do you have a backup?" means "I can't fix this."

70. Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

And, finally, the most popular one of the bunch...

Maxim #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "Open fire!" and "reload."

Other assorted bits of wisdom I've accrued over the years...

(insert profession here) training 101: NEVER. TAUNT. MURPHY. lol.gif

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it."

Equipment that can't perform up to spec gets replaced. Equipment that won't perform gets abused until it will, or until it can't. (Field confirmation provided by numerous mechanics.)

And finally, my rule for life:

"Never argue with drunks, idiots, internet trolls, and/or conspiracy theorists. They'll simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

9 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

31. Only cheaters prosper. (Alternately, "he who fights fairly, loses.")

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair." - Jeff Cooper

4 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

A few more words on this please?

A quote from TheSaint on sidearms? You do know Jeff Cooper? Author of many influential books on firearms and self-defense, originator of the Four Rules of Gun Safety, founder of Gunsite Academy. He was, very famously, an advocate of the 1911 pistol. Personally, I think the second part of Cooper's quote is more relevant today than the first. I like a 1911, I own one, I wouldn't argue with someone who chooses to carry one. But personally I think there are better choices for sidearms/carry guns these days.

Cooper always said that while he would always choose a 1911 first, if he had to choose a high-capacity 9mm handgun, his choice would be a CZ 75. And, amusingly, we just bought one of these for my wife to try out for her new carry gun.

Some gems from the T-800 "Terminator": (can you guess which one of my favorite movies I ran across on Netflix?)

"I'll be back"

"Hasta la vista, baby!"

John Connor: You can't just go around killing people!
The Terminator: Why?

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle"

John Connor: Jesus, you were gonna kill that guy.
The Terminator: Of course; I'm a terminator.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Some gems from the T-800 "Terminator": (can you guess which one of my favorite movies I ran across on Netflix?)

"I'll be back"

"Hasta la vista, baby!"

John Connor: You can't just go around killing people!
The Terminator: Why?

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle"

John Connor: Jesus, you were gonna kill that guy.
The Terminator: Of course; I'm a terminator.

A few years ago I was picking my buddy up at the airport in Las Vegas before we joined our other friends out in Death Valley. I saw him standing at the loading zone, so I threw on my sunglasses, rolled down the window, pulled up next to him, and said in my best deadpan Ahnold Schwarzenegger/T-800 accent:

"Come with me, if you want to live."

21 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

"Try not. Do! Or do not. There is no try." Master Yoda

Oh well, if you're going to quote Yoda...

"I've got a bad feeling about this..." - Just about every Star Wars character ever (well, the good guys, anyways. It would be interesting to hear James Earl Jones say that line...)

Aw man, the terminator movies are masterpieces...

I might use this for wedding vows:

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!

(My Love, Im talking about my Love for my fiance)

**edit**

Now the wedding vow idea has got stuck in my head, theres a lot of material. You could do a whole speech.

"Fiance, one of the reasons I stick around is because of the way you are like Dutch, from Predator. Because some damn fool accused you of being the best."

Edited by p1t1o

5 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Aw man, the terminator movies are masterpieces...

I might use this for wedding vows:

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!

(My Love, Im talking about my Love for my fiance)

**edit**

Now the wedding vow idea has got stuck in my head, theres a lot of material. You could do a whole speech.

"Fiance, one of the reasons I stick around is because of the way you are like Dutch, from Predator. Because some damn fool accused you of being the best."

I think this is a great idea. So you probably shouldn't do it. ;)

6 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I think this is a great idea. So you probably shouldn't do it. ;)

Yeah, I was quite enthusiastic about it until I imagined the front row, consisting of Finaces grandma and mother and my Parents, along with probably a few other types and Im up there going...

<lips too close to mic> "...YOU'RE SO LIKE ARNOLD SHWARZENEGGER..."

...and the look on Fiance's face.

She'll either kill me or have me sectioned, either way I'd probably be leaving in an ambulance.

Edited by p1t1o

7 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Yeah, I was quite enthusiastic about it until I imagined the front row, consisting of Finaces grandma and mother and my Parents, along with probably a few other types and Im up there going...

<lips too close to mic> "...YOU'RE SO LIKE ARNOLD SHWARZENEGGER..."

...and the look on Fiance's face.

She'll either kill me or have me sectioned, either way I'd probably be leaving in an ambulance.

It's funny, because when I think of all the ways we could have done silly stuff with our wedding, I'm pretty sure my wife would have gone for probably 90% of them. (Because if she weren't a nutter like me, I wouldn't have married her. :) ) But my mother-in-law would have murdered both of us in our sleep....

• 2 weeks later...

...Believe in yourself, not in the you who believe in me, not in the me who believe in you, believe in you, who believe in yourself...

-Kamina, TTGL 2007