Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

26 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Since it was invented for a small group of students to share notes and homework assignments, you're probably right.  It was several years old before you could even sign up without a .edu email address.

By definition then, it was not "social media" yet.

Facebook probably wasnt really social media either when it was made to compare the attractiveness of people around campus.

But regardless of any possible altruistic roots, the point still stands today - facebook's purpose is not to deliver benefit to the user. They offer benefit in order to achieve their main goal but its not their purpose or priority.

Im not even really saying that this is "Bad", its a commercial business, keeping an eye on the bottom line is one of the keys to success in any business.

But some people do not see facebook as a business and think it is some kind of benevolent agent of social evolution and expect facebook to provide services such as protection from Bad ThingsTM and end up being the most likely people to get hurt in some way or other.

Knowing what facebook is is how you will get the most out of it for the least price.

I can't understand why anyone would want a Facebook account.  No thank you.

16 hours ago, tater said:

My wife tried to make a coffee this morning, and the super automatic espresso machine dispensed from the steam wand, instead of the infuser. First world problems, right? Looks like a bad solenoid, need to send it to Colorado to be repaired, else I have to take it apart myself (last repair I did myself, this one seems more complex).

I could just replace the machine, but it's done well (more than 25,000 espresso shots pulled in its lifetime so far), so I'm waiting to get the estimate for repair.

What do you think of those Keurig machines?  My wife keeps hinting she wants one.  I keep vetoing it... for the amount of coffee we drink here, I think that machine is a waste.

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

What do you think of those Keurig machines?  My wife keeps hinting she wants one.  I keep vetoing it... for the amount of coffee we drink here, I think that machine is a waste.

I hate the coffee that comes out of them, frankly.

A friend has a nespresso machine, in addition to his real espresso machine, and it makes a decent cup, however. Perhaps the Keurig coffee I have had at the car dealership service area, or at the kids' orthodontist is not the best example of that system (cheaper pods used, maybe?). I would look for someplace where you can actually try them (Williams Sonoma?). My espresso machine was a gift from my wife, and we've had it maybe 10 years. I know it was absurdly expensive, but given the number of drinks it has made, the cost per cup is very low, and dominated by the bean cost. The automatic is nice because it's a button to turn it on, a button to make espresso, and another to deliver water (an Americano for me is a double espresso, and I have the water dispenser set to add a small amount of water. Very easy to do when bleary-eyed :D

2 hours ago, tater said:

I hate the coffee that comes out of them, frankly.

A friend has a nespresso machine, in addition to his real espresso machine, and it makes a decent cup, however. Perhaps the Keurig coffee I have had at the car dealership service area, or at the kids' orthodontist is not the best example of that system (cheaper pods used, maybe?). I would look for someplace where you can actually try them (Williams Sonoma?). My espresso machine was a gift from my wife, and we've had it maybe 10 years. I know it was absurdly expensive, but given the number of drinks it has made, the cost per cup is very low, and dominated by the bean cost. The automatic is nice because it's a button to turn it on, a button to make espresso, and another to deliver water (an Americano for me is a double espresso, and I have the water dispenser set to add a small amount of water. Very easy to do when bleary-eyed :D

Only expensive machines can make good coffee unfortch.

I've never had a "pod" coffee of any brand that did what it said on the tin. Or that was better than instant tbh.

#unapologeticcoffeesnob

Edited by p1t1o

6 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Only expensive machines can make good coffee unfortch.

I've never had a "pod" coffee of any brand that did what it said on the tin. Or that was better than instant tbh.

#unapologeticcoffeesnob

I was surprised by his nespresso.

My espresso machine makes a passable pull, once dialed in for the beans. The beans are really critical, GIGO. My friend buys some small roaster pods for the nespresso, that likely helped. On my espresso machine, the roast matters a lot. My other friend with the semi-auto machine tamps the coffee himself, and he pulls really nice shots---it is just too much work, however, particularly at 6:30 am.

My chief complaint with the pod coffee machines is the expense. Even if you use a generic brand it still comes out to almost a quarter a cup for crappy coffee. We buy whole bean coffee and it comes out to about a dime per cup for excellent coffee. It's a no-brainer. 

49 minutes ago, tater said:

I was surprised by his nespresso.

My espresso machine makes a passable pull, once dialed in for the beans. The beans are really critical, GIGO. My friend buys some small roaster pods for the nespresso, that likely helped. On my espresso machine, the roast matters a lot. My other friend with the semi-auto machine tamps the coffee himself, and he pulls really nice shots---it is just too much work, however, particularly at 6:30 am.

I dont mind grinding and tamping, but what I hate is the vibrating rumble noise that electrically driven machines make. Not great early in the morning either.

We've just bought our first house and are shopping for an espresso solution, I really like this kind:

espresso_elektralever.jpg?Popup=1

Edited by p1t1o

33 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My chief complaint with the pod coffee machines is the expense. Even if you use a generic brand it still comes out to almost a quarter a cup for crappy coffee. We buy whole bean coffee and it comes out to about a dime per cup for excellent coffee. It's a no-brainer. 

I make two cups of coffee a day.  One to drink while getting ready, and one for the drive to work.

I've yet to see a coffee pot that works well on a small scale like that, so I'm happy with my pod-coffee.

That's the benefit of the espresso machine. You make exactly as many coffees as you want, no more.

I'll make my wife a latte or cappuccino sometimes, and my daughter likes those (or just steamed milk) as well.

The noise of the machine (with bean grinding) is certainly an issue, but I never grind beans until I make coffee, anyway, so the grinder noise happens if the machine does it itself or not (much louder than the brewing noise).

30 minutes ago, razark said:

I make two cups of coffee a day.  One to drink while getting ready, and one for the drive to work.

I've yet to see a coffee pot that works well on a small scale like that, so I'm happy with my pod-coffee.

We have a coffee machine with an insulated carafe. My wife makes a half-pot one morning, the next morning the rest is still warm and tastes good.

But, hey, I just spent $200 on board games last week, I'm the last guy to tell other folks how to spend their money.

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

We have a coffee machine with an insulated carafe. My wife makes a half-pot one morning, the next morning the rest is still warm and tastes good.

I suppose I must now look into this and see what I can find.

13 minutes ago, tater said:

That's the benefit of the espresso machine. You make exactly as many coffees as you want, no more.

I had an espresso machine at one point.  More effort than I would be willing to go through after dragging myself out of bed.  Automated, however, might be acceptable.

11 minutes ago, razark said:

I suppose I must now look into this and see what I can find.

I had an espresso machine at one point.  More effort than I would be willing to go through after dragging myself out of bed.  Automated, however, might be acceptable.

This is the one we use now:

Cuisinart DTC-975BKN Programmable Automatic Brew-and-Serve 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker

We had another one before that had a vacuum bottle carafe that worked even better, but it broke and we couldn't find one that was similar for a reasonable price.

We had a Keurig, it was ok for a small cup, but too weak for the big mug I prefer. The cost of the pods was ridiculous to me, and the refillable pod was too much hassle. We went back to a classic drip maker. 

We once had a pot with the thermal carafe, but never did see just how long it would stay drinkable. I think that machine broke down. Not sure what happened to the carafe. 

Nowadays, I get up and pour three cups from the drip machine (B&D I think): my morning mug and two Thermos travel mugs; one for my coffee break and one for my wife when she gets up 2-3 hours later. (I get up at 310 am to be at work for 450). Those Thermos mugs are great, which they should be cuz they’re not cheap 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

In the end, if you like it, its good coffee and nobody can argue.

Whats that? You want some really obscure coffee trivia?

Did you know that you can add a surprisingly large quantity of coca-cola to a coffee before you start to notice anything weird?

It meshes with the flavour almost completely, doesnt curdle, the first thing you notice as you add more is the sharpness of the fizziness coming through.

Told you it was obscure ;)

Edited by p1t1o

9 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

It meshes with the flavour almost completely, doesnt curdle, the first thing you notice as you add more is the sharpness of the fizziness coming through.

How would you not notice the SUGAR?

I don't care for    bean juice   coffee... Or    leaf soup   tea... I almost never drink sugary beverages anymore. Still, muh caffeine...
I'm stuck buying these sugar free caffeinated flavored packs that you mix in a bottle of water. I mean, they're not bad, and there's a few good flavors, but it's about the only thing left that I drink regularly anymore. All the coffee discussion just reminds me that my beverage choices are bland, and that I really dislike hauling the water refills in or going outing winter to refill the water jugs from the filtered water dispenser at the shop down the street. At least it's warming up, and the water is only 25 cents per gallon for the inconvenience of hauling it yourself.

Edited by richfiles

10 hours ago, richfiles said:

I'm stuck buying these sugar free caffeinated flavored packs that you mix in a bottle of water.

At first glance, a neo-luddite is trolling the techno-nerds.

At second glance, an advanced techno-nerd is trolling the regular ones.

As obviously in the future there will be no "natural coffee in grains" for the coffee-machines, but just "sugar free caffeinated flavored packs that you mix in a bottle of water a coffee-machine mixes in its entrails".

14 hours ago, tater said:

How would you not notice the SUGAR?

Coke is sweet but you'd still have to put in about a quarter mug to add another teaspoonful, and then you're also adding a quarter mug extra water.

I suppose if you dont take sugar it would be more noticable, but my empirical work was....not exactly robust ;)

On 3/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, razark said:

While I often complain about other people's lives, what exactly is it that makes yours so complainable?

I realise it could be worse but a close reletive died my cat died. I lost most of my freinds and other things I don't really want to say here so yeah it's pretty crap at the moment

Edited by Vanamonde
Mind the language, please.

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I suppose if you dont take sugar it would be more noticable, but my empirical work was....not exactly robust ;)

Yeah, I drink coffee black. Every once and a while I'll put a splash of cream in (as breakfast).

4 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, I drink coffee black. Every once and a while I'll put a splash of cream in (as breakfast).

I was in the Navy. Nobody in their right mind drank Navy coffee black. That stuff was awful. Non-dairy creamer powder and sugar made it palatable. Never got out of the habit. (Although I use real cream or milk now.)

35 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I was in the Navy. Nobody in their right mind drank Navy coffee black. That stuff was awful. Non-dairy creamer powder and sugar made it palatable. Never got out of the habit. (Although I use real cream or milk now.)

Going out on an emergency call just after brewing a fresh pot, returning hours later to all but an inch of coffee left in the pot (evaporation, old reliable "Mr.Coffee").  Sludge.  You don't know what you're missing.