Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Just now, Lisias said:

There's a thing called "Opportunity Costs" - the money you had loose by not using the money on something else.

So, yeah. You lost some money. Not sure if this is recoverable, but you should be really liquided with these guys.

I know that, but most of the time you have to go in justice to expect some money and that means several years of procedure. Maybe it will be possible to find some solution without having to go in justice.

Typical. Whaddaya do after three days of rain? Go back to work after the long weekend. 

I so hope the forecast turns out wrong. But I won’t be surprised, it’s not called the Wet Coast for nothing, and Vancouver Island is about as we(s)t as it gets!

On 6/27/2018 at 8:01 AM, Delay said:

You see, when you say "ICE" I think of the German high speed train (InterCity Express).

So I guess my complaint for the day goes to the ambiguous name of an american railway system.

ICE? "InnerCity Express"? Which city? One city, Two cities? That city, this city, all the cities??? Sheesh! So ambiguous! All we know is it's fast. :P
At least the railway I mentioned says where it's going... Iowa, Chicago, and... Um, just east of those places. LOL

On 6/28/2018 at 4:33 PM, TheSaint said:

Why is it that two hours at home on the couch playing KSP lasts five minutes, while the last two hours of work at the end of the week lasts 743 years?

So that's why I can't get my Kerbal Instrument Panel built... I've spent several thousand grueling millennia stuck at work, and I've only had a couple minutes of build time! :confused:

Edited by richfiles

On 6/29/2018 at 12:33 AM, TheSaint said:

hy is it that two hours at home on the couch playing KSP lasts five minutes, while the last two hours of work at the end of the week lasts 743 years?

So, at work you live much longer.

4 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Is it really living though... ;.;

Life is like a high-eccentricity elliptic orbit.
Hours near the apoapsis at work, minutes near the periapsis at playing.

The closer is the eccentricity to 0, the happier is a person.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Life is like a high-eccentricity elliptic orbit.
Hours near the apoapsis at work, minutes near the periapsis at playing.

A good work balance is then like a circular orbit...?

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

When your hobby is your job.

Not always... It means you tend to enjoy work, but often, it can burn you out on carrying on with said hobby at home. That's why I got out of electronics as a profession. I never had the ambition to do any electronics of my own once I got home. Depends on the situation.

10 hours ago, richfiles said:

All we know is it's fast.

Depends. Between 160-300 km/h.

And I guess it connects all the (big) cities in Germany? Frankfurt, Berlin, Köln (Cologne), Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen, München (Munich), Nürnberg (Nuremberg), why do some cities have a different name in English (Today's complaint, I guess), the list goes on...

Not all in one route, though. ICE is not the route, but the name of the train used on it.

7 hours ago, Delay said:

why do some cities have a different name in English

Man, even here, it's like that. There's a town in southern MN called Mankato. I've been there many times. It's based off an old Native American word, Mahkato. I can just imagine the conversation in the 1800s...

Colonist A: "What do the Indians call this place?" (cause everyone called the natives Indians back then)
Colonist B: "I can't remember... M - Kato something... I don't remember, man! M... Man-Kato... Sure, that's close enough.
Colonist A: "Sounds good to me!"
Native: "They take the land for themselves, drive us away, cheat us... and then can't even speak our words right..."

Yeah... America has a crumby track record with getting names right...

Another nice worldwide practice - to name a new city "a new city".
Even not "new (something)", but just "new city".
Naples (Neapolis), Novgorod (two of them), Novi Grad, even Carthage.

Later somebody founds another new city, and calls it in the name of the previous one, like "Carthago Nova" (Cartagena), i.e. literally "new new city".

Later the new city extends, there appear "new town" and "old town", and here is a "new city of new city".

49 minutes ago, razark said:

mIWYOvX.png

Seriously?  "Excessive Heat Warning"?

Hide contents

7hhlWHT.png

To be fair, it is New York. You get down between those skyscrapers in the middle of summer where there isn't a breath of wind and you feel like you're living in the Devil's armpit.

4396843d47bc23dd1a27973a4f5a400d.jpg

Can we all take a second, actually no 41 seconds to appreciate the fact that there is an ad for an ad remover tool, that is 41 seconds long, on a YouTube video that is specifically about why ads just dont work anymore? I would rather spend several minutes taking a screenshot and posting about it here, rather than actually watching that ad. On a YouTube video about how ads just don't work anymore. That my friends is the definition of irony[1].

[1]I think... Here I posted right here so I don't get flamed for being wrong on the internet, or so it's faster and easier to call me on it. Your pick.

Irony
     The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning:
      "the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend."

As much as I would like to link the actual YouTube video (not the ad), I can't because they swear.

Edit:

8d0664d7aeaa5fe073bc4890efe86f31.png

It got better.

(Hint: Its by cracked on YouTube.)

Edited by Mark Kerbin
clicked tab a few to many times

On 7/2/2018 at 3:50 PM, TheSaint said:

To be fair, it is New York.

Right. Plus, they're standing around waiting for the rising oceans to engulf Manhattan... with hot water... really really really hot water.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Edit:

8d0664d7aeaa5fe073bc4890efe86f31.png

It got better.

Sure-fire method... top-right corner of the screen, little square red button with a white "x" in it.

My rag for the day;

The VA, "Arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment."

The Ferret, 30 minutes early, sits in waiting room 1 hour 30 minutes before seeing doctor. And that was just the start of the day. :angry:

Well... I am slightly annoyed.(wow that's the point of the thread *gasp*)

So for a little backstory I along with 11 other people was scheduled to go to Philmont Scout Ranch. Now apparently a fire has been burning the past week or so which has caused the entire season this year to be canceled about.... 2 weeks before we were going to go. And I was kinda looking forward to going so.... Yeah. That's a thing. Also not so sure how likely I am going to get another shot at this. Oh and it was also supposed to be a fun thing before the whole college admission thing for me at least so that's also mildly annoying. 

Nothing about it is really in my control but it's kinda annoying. Or more annoying? Idk

Also the stupid mobile editor is a paint work with..... 

It always terrifies me how quickly the weeks in a summer break seemingly swoop by, when the "summer break" feeling of it all just becomes a new normal. At the beginning I felt pretty much in control to do whatever I wanted, but with camps and online classes, that gets less so...

Well, I'm low on money but managed to build a very nice rig: Dual Quad Core Xeon @ 3.13GHz, 48 GB RAM, a bunch of HDs on RAID0 and RAID5 (with data being allocated accordingly) and a nice RX460 with 4GVRAM.

Everything was working fine, I was very satisfied with the thing - but then the GPU cooler failed. ON…SATURDAY… NIGHT.

So I'm playing again on that expensive potato called MacMini, with that beautiful Workstation turned off below my desk. On a extended weekend, and Monday is holiday here. Yeah, spare parts only on Tuesday.

Think on a very happy guy. This dude is not me. :huh:

Edited by Lisias

Murica is currently practicing for when climate change really screws us over. I mean we got freak flooding , massive fires, heatwaves... wait a second.... that sounds familiar.

Also all joking aside, ITS FREAKIN HOT AROUND HERE!!!!!