Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

It's simple.

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScqEVVfkRUgEOURZrCOHLearthquake.JPG

Hmmm... OK, I have to complain that I may need a new keyboard after the massive coffee spit-take I just did.... roflmao

Thanks for the chuckle, this made my day!!!

:cool:

Stung by some insect on the foot. Now my ankle is decently swollen and in pain. Seems like there's a nice amount of fluid around the joint. So been spending a while hobbling around the house over the weekend. Have to go places tomorrow so.... That's gonna suck.

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Stung by some insect on the foot. Now my ankle is decently swollen and in pain. Seems like there's a nice amount of fluid around the joint. So been spending a while hobbling around the house over the weekend. Have to go places tomorrow so.... That's gonna suck.

Maybe go see a doc?

30 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Maybe go see a doc?

Probably should.....

might also just heal on its own IDK.

Edited by qzgy

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It's simple.

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScqEVVfkRUgEOURZrCOHLearthquake.JPG

24 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

You left out the best one. 

ilEaJw7.jpg

Where is this from? This is without a doubt one of the funnier things I've seen this year.

7 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Where is this from? This is without a doubt one of the funnier things I've seen this year.

A 1980's remake of Flash Gordan... Brilliantly campy. Instead of trying to modernize it, they embraced the campy with both hands, and did their best to recreate the feel of the original....

And by far the best performance was the brilliant Max von Sydow as Ming the Merciless...

opps... and just got ninja'd... lol

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Let me just add to all the other correct answers, this is not just a good movie, it's a shockingly good movie for how cheesily bad it is. It is the perfect answer for "how do you make a b-movie correctly?"

I dare you to watch this movie and NOT get pumped up every time Queen sings "Flash!" in the final climactic sequence.

Edited by 5thHorseman

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I dare you to watch this movie and NOT get pumped up every time Queen sings "Flash!" in the final climactic sequence.

You don't even need to see the whole movie just for that.

I bet most of it looks cheesy but hey, seems like a great cheese.

Edited by YNM

Watched a documentary about Titan I and II ICBM.

From 03:30 they show the team of engineers designing the rockets.
They look nerdish, well-educated and experienced...

Spoiler

Spoiler

... until at 03:50 one chief engineer starts explaining to another one how do the rockets work at all, using a simplified childish painting on a blackboard...

And the latter one listens with attention and visible understanding, nodding with head.

Currently talking to a flat Earther who seriously thinks that a globe would predict visible angular seperations of Polaris throughout the year. I've calculated that the angle is only 0.000004794°, but - of course - he claims these measurements are made up.

I'm getting frustrated at the stupidity of some of the humans on our planet.

But they need opposition; otherwise they could simply spread their beliefs and claim "We're not hearing anything going against our theory, therefore it must be true!".

4 hours ago, Delay said:

But they need opposition; otherwise they could simply spread their beliefs and claim "We're not hearing anything going against our theory, therefore it must be true!".

... well.

It's far better when you just sit back and wait for them to hit their own walls. I mean, I'm pretty content with having the Earth "flat", who needs to care when you have a water level to check your work.

But you can't never go significantly about the Earth with thinking it's a flat thing.

39 minutes ago, YNM said:

It's far better when you just sit back and wait for them to hit their own walls. I mean, I'm pretty content with having the Earth "flat", who needs to care when you have a water level to check your work

Sure, but is it (and this video) really applicable to a conspiracy theory that relies on people inside it to lack an understanding of physics? You can't educate these people.

I once ran the risk of falling for a conspiracy theory because I didn't question anything and lacked understanding of physics. I just don't want others to go through this as well and, unlike me, ultimetely end up actually believing it to be undeniably true when it really isn't true at all.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

But is it (and this video) really applicable to a conspiracy theory that relies on people inside it to lack an understanding of physics ?

Physics will come to haunt them one day anyway.

It's not worth dying over IMO. As long as they don't make someone dead.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

I once ran the risk of falling for a conspiracy theory because I didn't question anything and lacked understanding of physics.

You know better than I do of these people then.

14 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm getting frustrated at the stupidity of some of the humans on our planet.

A local Philosopher here use to say "Life is a scandal and a humiliation".

Opposing them is futile. You can't reason with a door, why should work with them? Just keep a hygienic distance while trying to dodge the destruction they are bringing to our civilization.

Sooner or later, Reality prevails - Natural Selection always find its way. Our job is to try to save some knowledge so the Next Civilization don't have to start from scratch all over again.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammar...

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

A local Philosopher here use to say "Life is a scandal and a humiliation".

Opposing them is futile. You can't reason with a door, why should work with them? Just keep a hygienic distance while trying to dodge the destruction they are bringing to our civilization.

Sooner or later, Reality prevails - Natural Selection always find its way. Our job is to try to save some knowledge so the Next Civilization don't have to start from scratch all over again.

However, these 'ones to dodge' can be found too easily- in fact, in religious groups(if you are in one), at workplaces, and (if unlucky) even withing your family.
Even some political interest groups have these wrong(well, if one might feel that it's too offensive, I'll change this term to 'thought to be inconsistent when applied to the observable world, and can repeatedly observe situations that are contradictory to the idea'.) views. 
But when this affects education-it can be quite destructive. There are groups that try to influence the public education system to exclude chapters related to darwinian evolution, scientific/technological progressions in the space industry(since they regard human going out into space is impossible), or even insist that the Earth should be noted as being FLAT!(run for your lives!

If people who believe in conspiracy theories or refuse to adopt 'scientific reasoning'(no, ones who reject scientific facts but agree to reasoning can easily be brought back into the correct course.) had not much influence to the society, they will be gone, or at least negligible, but in reality, they influence other people to fall into the same, misleading path. If we respond to those who are being irrational, at least those innocent ones might be saved.

(Seems like I heated up a little bit. Sorry for that.)

1 hour ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

They influence other people to fall into the same, misleading path.

It's not misleading - I do try to make my house's floor flat. And it is, to some extent.

The point is, it's all about convenience, it's all about what works and what not. An estate developer wants to "flatten" an acre of land ? Sure. You want to go laser-straight between London and Perth ? That's a no.

I guess more to the point is that the shape of the earth is within the least important things on people's list. As long as they don't try to keep it low when it should be on the higher end, it's fine.

2 minutes ago, YNM said:

It's not misleading - I do try to make my house's floor flat. And it is, to some extent.

The point is, it's all about convenience, it's all about what works and what not. An estate developer wants to "flatten" an acre of land ? Sure. You want to go laser-straight between London and Perth ? That's a no.

I guess more to the point is that the shape of the earth is within the least important things on people's list. As long as they don't try to keep it low when it should be on the higher end, it's fine.

Yes, I get what you mean, and agree with it. Maybe I went too far

2 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

If people who believe in conspiracy theories or refuse to adopt 'scientific reasoning'(no, ones who reject scientific facts but agree to reasoning can easily be brought back into the correct course.) had not much influence to the society, they will be gone, or at least negligible, but in reality, they influence other people to fall into the same, misleading path. If we respond to those who are being irrational, at least those innocent ones might be saved.

There's something called "affinity". People do not cope with things they do not have affinity with. There're no guilty or innocent here, only people coping with his own interests. Of course, educated people have educated interests - the better the education, the best informed are the interest involved.

Note that highly educated people can be evil, and terribly uneducated people can be good. Sometimes it's hard to tell good from evil.

2 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

(Seems like I heated up a little bit. Sorry for that.)

Don't be. You care, and it's hard to keep your calm when people gladly walks into a precipice. :) 

Just be cautious and do not care too much. They don't care at all. We "loose" you, we loose someone who cares. We "loose" them, there're hundreds to take the place.

Edited by Lisias
yeah. grammars. =P

I found this comic, a bundle of lovely conspiracy theories regarding the asteroid belt, the earth and the moon. And those were some very nicely thought out conspiracies!!

And now I can't seem to find it!! :huh:

Edited by Nivee~