SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

why have then not cut holes for RCS already?

Wouldn't RCS be below the header tanks anyway? That would make things a bit simpler and potentially allow the crew to access the system from the inside in case something goes wrong.

Just now, Wjolcz said:

Wouldn't RCS be below the header tanks anyway? That would make things a bit simpler and potentially allow the crew to access the system from the inside in case something goes wrong.

Good point. Checked at the NSF and they say that the nose is part of the tank structure so RCS will be below. Having it high give better angular momentum but as you say it will be engineering space on an manned version and also easier to check on freight version as its inside the cargo bay making them easier to access.  

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

They tested the nosecone and either it went so well that it didn't get destroyed or the damage wasn't visible, or the tanks weren't pushed to their limits.

As I understand some pipe busted first but it could also be venting as in an non destructive test. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Bad weather?
It's just a question of the pilot.

Hide contents

aliens-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=121159ce917ef5be0a1fab3a6c13087ddf7c88c16

An lego spaceship. You can make them idiotic sturdy. Probably my last lego creation was kind of an space shuttle, an delta wing design with the old lego high sweep delta wings so above it looked like an star destroyer. 
Two set of wings, then an center with other plates and plates on top and bottom, think plywood. 
I found I could hurl this into the wall so I also made the superstructure the same way. 

The roof was hinged and tended to fall off same with the rear area or the shuttle cargo bay also the engines at the rear and think I had an top gun turret between them. and some front mounted guns like show above but it was an obvious crumble zone. 
My sisters kids inherited the lego and the ship survived them, the male is now an dynamiter, still it survived. 

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

An lego spaceship.

I just couldn't google out a screenshot from the Aliens with the Cheyenne dropship in lightnings and flames, so took the first similar image.

Just in case: to the right it's not Lance Henriksen, it's Bishop.