SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

not nominal = you need to burn most of your propellant to put it where its supposed to be, shortening on-orbit life. otherwise they go to the home for wayward starlink satellites = anywhere they land.

4 hours ago, tater said:

Static fire of B12

Not as exciting as the recent dynamic static fire in the far east, but awesome just the same.  Not bad for merely being of partial duration.

Imagine the acceleration if those clamps failed with such a huge TWR given no SS  and probably only partially fueled like that.  Could really show China how a true dynamic static test is done, by golly 

20 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Imagine the acceleration if those clamps failed with such a huge TWR given no SS  and probably only partially fueled like that.  Could really show China how a true dynamic static test is done, by golly 

If super heavy is 200 tons with 200 tons of propellant, the TWR would be about 19.

21 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If super heavy is 200 tons with 200 tons of propellant, the TWR would be about 19.

I guess they triple checked the hold down clamps and hard points on ship to ensure no unplanned flights. Did they not add extra hold down wires to the top on earlier tests? 
And obviously an kill trust if any of the clamps got issues. 
Thought earlier about what would happen if one of the clamps did not release, I say either the clamp or the hardpoint on ship would give very fast. 

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I wonder how much DV that dragon has as an independent vehicle

They were kind enough to give us all of the info, I forget where, but presumably at the presentation they did. 30 tons wet, 16 tons of fuel. At least at the last time they gave us the numbers, Draco has 300s of isp. 2.24km/s.

Falcon Heavy expendable would leave this in lko with about 30 tons of propellant left in s2. That would be roughly 2350m/s. Allowing for slop, this craft could reach a Moon flyby with 1440m/s remaining. That's comparable to Orion.

Granted you can't just straight up put crew on this as it would probably not have a functional abort system due to the trunk depending on how it is attached. But this could very well be an audition to replace Orion.

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Lunar tourist flybys would be cool

I wonder what the fastest trajectory is to the Moon and back? Free-return trajectory and 5 days (Apollo 13)?

Imagine taking the week off of work for a casual swing-by of the Moon

On 7/18/2024 at 4:54 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

They were kind enough to give us all of the info, I forget where, but presumably at the presentation they did. 30 tons wet, 16 tons of fuel. At least at the last time they gave us the numbers, Draco has 300s of isp. 2.24km/s.

Falcon Heavy expendable would leave this in lko with about 30 tons of propellant left in s2. That would be roughly 2350m/s. Allowing for slop, this craft could reach a Moon flyby with 1440m/s remaining. That's comparable to Orion.

Granted you can't just straight up put crew on this as it would probably not have a functional abort system due to the trunk depending on how it is attached. But this could very well be an audition to replace Orion.

To me this lock like they have removed the heat shield and mated the capsule to the double length trunk who now is full of fuel tanks and has lots of extra drako engines. I assume they done this not only to save weight but also to have one common fuel system. Docking this will require more fuel than an normal dragon as its much heavier. 

Using this to the moon. Use crew version, so two fuel systems, trunk and capsule.  For abort, perhaps has the trunk split halfway up. lower part holds the fuel tanks with tanks expand up into upper part who holds radiators and solar cells making the lower trunk an extra stage. 

6 hours ago, magnemoe said:

To me this lock like they have removed the heat shield and mated the capsule to the double length trunk who now is full of fuel tanks and has lots of extra drako engines. I assume they done this not only to save weight but also to have one common fuel system. Docking this will require more fuel than an normal dragon as its much heavier. 

Using this to the moon. Use crew version, so two fuel systems, trunk and capsule.  For abort, perhaps has the trunk split halfway up. lower part holds the fuel tanks with tanks expand up into upper part who holds radiators and solar cells making the lower trunk an extra stage. 

As long as separating capsule fuel from trunk, make the trunk methalox with vacuum raptor merlin and put the heat shield back on the capsule.  So trunk is basically stage 3.

Edited by darthgently