SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Apparently it was a 9-engine static fire, so 4 early shutdowns is near 50% followed by an early test finish.

They'll 100% do another static fire IMO.

I figure this was all about characterizing the water system IRL and they'll take the data gathered from a few engines and extrapolate how the water system will perform under more thrust.   More real world, less modelled 

24 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Apparently it was a 9-engine static fire, so 4 early shutdowns is near 50% followed by an early test finish.

They'll 100% do another static fire IMO.

Yeah I feel like we've seen a bit better balance between ambition and caution lately. Happy to see no one's risking frying this thing right after it was installed.

13 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I was glad to see a significant reduction in excavation, thinking they tested all engines, but if this was only 5/33 of power that's still a bit too pad-rich exhaust.

58 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Where did you read that?

It was asserted in an NSF recap stream I think.

That said, their article on the test states a near-full set of 33 raptors with an intent to fire all 33.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2023/08/starship-booster-9-critical-testing-phase/#more-95083

Edited by RCgothic

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

I was glad to see a significant reduction in excavation, thinking they tested all engines, but if this was only 5/33 of power that's still a bit too pad-rich exhaust.

But now they have real world data they can extrapolate from.  Maybe they will increase the pressure and volume of water based on analysis etc

Was there any excavation? Honest question, I haven't had time to look at the normal deep dives

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I was glad to see a significant reduction in excavation,

where did you see any excavation? I only saw lots of vapor, nothing to assess the pad structure...

16 minutes ago, Elthy said:

where did you see any excavation? I only saw lots of vapor, nothing to assess the pad structure...

I would not expect any excavation, lots of steam and probably dust kicked up by overpressure outside the steel structure. 

2 hours ago, Elthy said:

One the video tater linked on the previous page, timestamp 3:10 there seem to be some big rocky things beyond the pad. Could be unrelated, or due to water erosion.

9 hours ago, tater said:

Never gets old.

[Redacted  for comity but you get my point.] I only say this as preamble to goddamn these completely trivial 1st stage landings of the absolutely impossible are dope as hell all day long.

Edited by Pthigrivi