SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

On 8/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, CBase said:

Actually I don't think Elon even cares about your, mine or any public opinion about starship at all.

This is obviously untrue. They release PR videos every launch, they have an active social media presence, Musk does publicity talks, etc.

This static test fire was again at only 50% thrust level. We were misled into thinking a 50% test was sufficient to judge the full thrust burn the last time.  The only way to be sure is to do a full thrust static burn to judge the water deluge system then.

Bob Clark

Edited by Exoscientist

1 hour ago, Exoscientist said:

The only way to be sure is to do a full thrust static burn to judge the water deluge system then.

Why not full thrust test a previously 50% thrust tested deluge during a test launch if a test launch is going to happen anyway? Given the 50% test takes much of the guessing away wrt to extrapolation to full thrust (or enough anyway) and a full thrust test without a full fuel mass load and full test payload could be more far more a test to failure of the launch clamps than of deluge. 

And remember that the Boca Chica "water deluge" is effectively a 6-way, double-depth KSC "flame trench".   They adjusted the deluge timing and I think still have some increase in deluge pressure and water volume they can work with given whatever results of 50% test.

The new foundation isn't going to fail again. It's over two meters thick reinforced concrete capped with steel and with many more support pilings than previously.

Even absent the deluge system it wouldn't be going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

if you want to make an omelet, you need to break some eggs. 

Except when those eggs might be other people’s heads.

Bob Clark

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

Why not full thrust test a previously 50% thrust tested deluge during a test launch if a test launch is going to happen anyway? Given the 50% test takes much of the guessing away wrt to extrapolation to full thrust (or enough anyway) and a full thrust test without a full fuel mass load and full test payload could be more far more a test to failure of the launch clamps than of deluge. 

And remember that the Boca Chica "water deluge" is effectively a 6-way, double-depth KSC "flame trench".   They adjusted the deluge timing and I think still have some increase in deluge pressure and water volume they can work with given whatever results of 50% test.

Sorry, SpaceX used up their “because SpaceX says” so cred, by their no flame trench, poor FTS, bad stage separation mistakes. If they think this water deluge system will work at 100% thrust, then prove it by actually testing it at full thrust.

Bob Clark

53 minutes ago, Exoscientist said:

SpaceX used up their “because SpaceX says” so cred, by their no flame trench, poor FTS, bad stage separation mistakes. If they think this water deluge system will work at 100% thrust, then prove it by actually testing it at full thrust.

They will during the next launch in which the conditions will be ideal for a 100% thrust test of the deluge.  And again, it is effectively a 6-way flame trench at twice the big KSC depth below the engines.

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

The new foundation isn't going to fail again. It's over two meters thick reinforced concrete capped with steel and with many more support pilings than previously.

Even absent the deluge system it wouldn't be going anywhere.

They’re also wise to wait as long as they can for a full thrust burn. Concrete that thick takes a long time to fully cure. 

They also didn't really have any credibility when they said they would land and reuse rockets, or fairing halves, or send people to the ISS... Or falcon heavy... Or 60+ lunches a year... Do I need to keep going?

5 hours ago, tater said:

They have no idea what they are doing, they're just like people blowing up stuff in KSP, they have no models where 50% tests give them useful data.

Later today:

Also them (tomorrow):

they must play kerbal like i do, i cant remember the last time i killed a kerbal, unless it was on purpose. one paige kerman comes to mind.