SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

28 minutes ago, insert_name said:

SpaceX got another X-37b launch, this time on falcon heavy, wonder why they are using it instead of regular falcon

https://spacenews.com/u-s-air-force-x-37b-spaceplane-to-launch-on-a-spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket/

That’s an awful lot of extra delta-V there… could an X-37 survive reentry from medium/high orbit?

32 minutes ago, insert_name said:

SpaceX got another X-37b launch, this time on falcon heavy, wonder why they are using it instead of regular falcon

https://spacenews.com/u-s-air-force-x-37b-spaceplane-to-launch-on-a-spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket/

The article mentions radiation durability testing; could they be using heavy to get to the outer Van Allen belt?  That would be interesting

5 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That’s an awful lot of extra delta-V there… could an X-37 survive reentry from medium/high orbit?

If not, they could mildly aero brake to a get lower apoapsis, then adjust from there to a gentler reentry perhaps

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think, by deduction, they must be at least testing this capability. Perhaps they are testing out new thermal systems?

Short of an actual license, isn't this one of the best indicators of an upcoming launch? Adding onto all the other notices we've seen like road closures, and maritime warnings over the Gulf and Hawaii, everything is starting to line up. They have to be hearing good things internally from the FWS that they're about to wrap up.

2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Short of an actual license, isn't this one of the best indicators of an upcoming launch? Adding onto all the other notices we've seen like road closures, and maritime warnings over the Gulf and Hawaii, everything is starting to line up. They have to be hearing good things internally from the FWS that they're about to wrap up.

The next tweet says:

"For those curious: Installation of the FTS charges requires a launch license. If they're taking the explosives right now, it's probably gonna show up today. "

2 minutes ago, tater said:

The next tweet says:

"For those curious: Installation of the FTS charges requires a launch license. If they're taking the explosives right now, it's probably gonna show up today. "

Oh, it's HAPPENING happening. I hope it launches on the 15th, that's probably the only day I have a chance of seeing it live, since I either have work or school most of the week. Next launch attempt I'm hoping for is during my lunch break :D

8 hours ago, tater said:

The next tweet says:

How about the module SpaceX blew up using FTS charges, it would newer launch, it was just an test object. 

10 hours ago, tater said:

The next tweet says:

as i understand it the only agency that still hasn't signed off is fish and game. 

idk what kind of game you're going after if you need starship to take it out. but that sure would be an interesting hunt. wonder what the bag limit is for cthulhu.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

How about the module SpaceX blew up using FTS charges, it would newer launch, it was just an test object. 

i guess it would fall under commercial demolitions regulations. 

At moderators - my posting from an Alt is at the request of @Dakota - please excuse the violation of forum rules.  We're trying a workaround to get me access to Sci & Space again.  Obviously, these posts are off topic for my favorite thread.

I'd ask them to be deleted once this test is complete.

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Nuke said:

idk what kind of game you're going after if you need starship to take it out. but that sure would be an interesting hunt. wonder what the bag limit is for cthulhu.

FWS was apparently worried about some sort of shark being killed by SH, SpaceX asked them how many such sharks in the different regions of the Gulf, FWS said they couldn't tell them because the shark locations are secret to avoid illegal fishing (shark fin), SpaceX apparently asked how they could calculate the probability of randomly hitting a shark without that information... took a while to work out. Probability is ≈0, as one would expect (small shark, big ocean, tiny time interval of risk, etc).

38 minutes ago, tater said:

FWS was apparently worried about some sort of shark being killed by SH, SpaceX asked them how many such sharks in the different regions of the Gulf, FWS said they couldn't tell them because the shark locations are secret to avoid illegal fishing (shark fin), SpaceX apparently asked how they could calculate the probability of randomly hitting a shark without that information... took a while to work out. Probability is ≈0, as one would expect (small shark, big ocean, tiny time interval of risk, etc).

...but if it saves 0.0001 sharks per annum, because precautionary principle 

41 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

When talking commercial airplanes, probabilities of 10^-6 are considered significant.

Of course, there are a lot more commercial airplane flights every day than space launches.

Yes, and those also tend to result in the possibility of multiple human deaths vs the incredibly unlikely chance a certain type of shark (likely a singleton) happens to be in a few square meters of water, near the surface, during the few seconds of SH impact. In the case of the shark, it's important to realize they can't have a zero probability of harm standard, or they'd have to disallow all watercraft. Boats/ships can and do collide with sea life, and the gulf is full of watercraft. Also, every other rocket except F9 drops stages in the ocean as SOP.

Edited by tater