SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, NFUN said:

In terms of delta-v, but that's not what you're worried about if there's an emergency. If you're burning at apoapsis it's more difficult to control where you land because you have a smaller burn window (as opposed to effectively the entire orbit) unless you want to waste the delta-v in normalizing anyway, and it takes much longer to coast to a higher apo or down, and the re-entry is sharper and more dangerous with a more elliptical orbit

Great answer - thanks!

The second Polaris mission should be interesting as well. It likely also helps SpaceX with an HLS milestone. Once they can get SS to orbit, they can make a crew vehicle flight article (lunar type, no tiles flaps, etc). Place it in LEO, rendezvous with Polaris 2 Dragon, transfer crew. Crew validates life support and other functionality, returns via Dragon.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

...then leave flight article in orbit as a private space station? :o

Depends on what orbit. They certainly don't want it crashing randomly. Of course minus the need for Earth EDL, they could make it with 3mm steel (thinner?).

I would assume that they could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and leave it in an orbit to be used as a refilling target. If they refill it at all, they can boost it. If they can actually refill it a few times, it's not impossible to use it as a "Dear Moon" vehicle. Same drill, Dragon to bring crew, then propulsive flyby and return to LEO.

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

If something went wrong on an EVA while on that highly eccentric orbit you'd have to first lower your apogee quite a bit and only then do a deorbit burn not to stress the heat shield too much. By doing this EVA at that altitude instead you can directly deorbit if something happens that requires a return asap as long as there's someone ready to recover you near the splashdown zone

The difference between the orbital velocity in a 310x310 km orbit and the perigee velocity in a 310x1500 km orbit is only 252 m/s. That translates to a slightly higher re-entry speed, yes, but I don't believe the heat shield on Crew Dragon will care overmuch about that small of a difference. As @NFUN said, it's harder to control where you land if you are doing a deorbit burn from an elliptical orbit.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

FLunDoYWYAYqxj6?format=jpg

I am Iron Man.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

Looks like hard shells on the joints in order to solve the pressure ballooning problem.

That's precisely what it looks like.

Also precisely what I've been begggggging for, for...like three years now.

10 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Someone did a side-by-side of the old IVA gloves with the new gloves:

2086435.jpg

Looks like plate armor gauntlets:

2086623.jpg

Why reinvent the wheel? 

(Seriously.  I read an article probably 20 years ago that NASA had and was studying late medieval armor just for the articulation.  I think they've done it for deep sea as well.) 

Pretty amazing what a craftsman can do with a hammer! 

@Beccab

You know someone is serious when they make t-shirts and patches! 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

(Seriously.  I read an article probably 20 years ago that NASA had and was studying late medieval armor just for the articulation.  I think they've done it for deep sea as well.) 

Never forget the british moon suitBIS-suit-2-e1562079162571.jpg

1 hour ago, tater said:

Leaves an hole in the heat shield, perhaps an larger hexagonal hole with an tile on the end, but in this case just have an arm with an tile on the end extend, this can also be used for catching,
Yes an inside ring is probably an less stressed lifting point. 

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Why reinvent the wheel? 

Pretty amazing what a craftsman can do with a hammer! 

@Beccab

You know someone is serious when they make t-shirts and patches! 

foot-combat-armour-1520-1.jpg

The most insane part of the armor as I see it.
https://royalarmouries.org/stories/object-of-the-month/object-of-the-month-for-april-henry-viiis-foot-combat-armour/
It was made for an joist between Henry VIII and Francis I, King of France. 
Now stated in the article the rules was changed and an new armor with an skirt was created. 
tonlet-armour-tonlet-armour-1520.jpg

Indicating that the first armor had limited mobility and the skirt and new knees offered more mobility. Note this was not standard armor it probably cost as much off the GDP as an fighter jet. 
Worth it if the king lead his army in an battle, not for an joust the foot duel was canceled anyway for political reasons, the kings was even in points and most thought it was an nice end of the event.