SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Im pretty sure some other nation/company will build a better version of the BFR, like how the Soviets built the Buran shuttle, wich was in theory way better than the STS.

Doubt it. The final version of the STS was nothing compared to what it should have been, and hampered at every level.

BFR is clean-sheet.

Fully reusable has been the goal to reduce cost since the 1960s. Read Phil Bono's book. And reusable without doing much to the vehicle, like an aircraft. Space will stay the way it has always been until we hit that milestone. BFR/BFS is a game changer as @KSK said above.

Im pretty sure some other nation/company will build a better version of the BFR, like how the Soviets built the Buran shuttle, wich was in theory way better than the STS.

Oh, sure. But aside of Blue Origin everyone else just sit on their hindquarters, watch and draw plans on paper. SpaceX already does have a significant headstart.

Hmm. This isn't easy and SpaceX and BO are the only ones to reuse large portions of their rockets so far. It would take years to develop a rival for the Falcon 9 let alone the BFR.

Fire

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Doubt it. The final version of the STS was nothing compared to what it should have been, and hampered at every level.

BFR is clean-sheet.

BFR, will have to become something, and we don't know yet if it will become worse or better than expected.

5 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Hmm. This isn't easy and SpaceX and BO are the only ones to reuse large portions of their rockets so far. It would take years to develop a rival for the Falcon 9 let alone the BFR.

Fire

I agree with that to be honest, the Buran took, 15-20 years to build after the announcement of the shuttle. But i never mentioned it would be done quick.

25 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

It was delayed into ceramics class... I don't know anyone in that class, I've missed a week and I'm behind, and no smartphone or anything.

That must hurt. If it delays another forty minutes there's a two-hour break where I can launch it. I even made a pin for my shirt- but I'm not going to show you; I'm not an artist. Also, I didn't know the forum had a "hot topic" notification- look at the reply count in the "Science and Spaceflight" directory.

26 minutes ago, KSK said:

Because, if it works, it'll provide what the STS was originally intended to provide. Cheap access to space with a fully reusable launcher based on a fly-back booster and an orbiter. And I'm talking cheap as in 'worth using to launch any payload that SpaceX have previously put into orbit, including the stuff they launched on Falcon 1.'

It'll also be the first ever honest-to-goodness sci-fi grade spaceship in history. Get it to orbit, fuel it up, point the nose at the second star on the right and light the engines. Next stop: Moon, Mars or, for uncrewed payloads, pretty much anywhere in the Solar System.

And yes, that's a huge, quite possibly unrealistic or unachievable 'if'. But, by all the gods, if something like that isn't worth striving for - and throwing Falcon Heavy under the bus for if necessary - then I really don't know what is.

This so much. Falcon heavy is awesome and I'm really hyped about this launch BUT BFR will open a whole new age of spaceflight if they can make it work

Edited by tseitsei89

3 minutes ago, Scotius said:

"Clock management"? What in the space does that mean?

Probably that they will time the launch to one of the preprogrammed fight patch to get into the right orbit and get the right ejetion angle.

37 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Oh, sure. But aside of Blue Origin everyone else just sit on their hindquarters, watch and draw plans on paper. SpaceX already does have a significant headstart.

To be fair, ULA has made good progress on the Vulcan booster, whose engines should be reusable. I'm still a bit resentful of the monopoly they had before SpaceX, but it's made substantial progress away from being a paper tiger.

Anyways, kudos to @KSK for summing up my opinion on BFR: hardly a guaranteed success, and it won't be man rated for a while, but huge if it works the way Musk wants.