SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, tater said:

Early on we saw those cleaned lines a lot for reused boosters. Maybe it's based on data they got during the previous launch that triggers a check?

Well B1051.5 isn't the flight leader, so that agrees with what you're saying if they're being a little more cautious with B1049.6.

9 hours ago, tater said:

They've built 40 Raptors.

ULA is still waiting on a "not pathfinder" Be-4, right?

I need to keep this on hand for discussing hypotheticals, haha. It's very interesting.

Raptor doesn't need the pintle injector because it is a gas-gas rocket, I believe? Interesting that the turbopump flameout is the limiting factor, rather than a loss of choke in the engine throat. I guess with a super high pressure engine that's to be expected.

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

New downcomer, thrust puck and legs!

(also, it's definitely a launch pad and not a water tower).

Are those the new legs or the same design?

8 hours ago, Flavio hc16 said:

So we now know that Starship can hover 

I think we always knew that.

9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

SN5 had miniscule v1.0 legs, these are apparently 60% longer v1.1 legs, possibly for SN8. 

Hard to tell just by looking. I wonder if they use hydraulics or if they are single-use crush cores.

From the webcast:

Untitled.png

Is this the first look we've gotten at the resting-nests for the fairing halves? Looks like an inflatable.

Falcon 9 is in startup.

Liftoff. Go Starlink! Go Falcon 9!

Untitled.png

Look at that beautiful vapor cone.

MECO, successful stage separation, and MVac light!

Successful fairing separation. These are reused Starlink fairings.

She says they will be doing a single-engine landing burn all the way, which makes sense given that this is their first time doing a sixth landing with one booster.

Entry burn complete. It feels like it is coming in faster than normal? Or maybe it is just a clearer picture.

Falcon has landed!! Congrats SpaceX on the sixth sequential landing of a booster!

Maybe its just me not having watched a landing for a while but that one seemed especially smooth with very little use of the cold-gas thrusters on the way back down.

3 minutes ago, KSK said:

Maybe its just me not having watched a landing for a while but that one seemed especially smooth with very little use of the cold-gas thrusters on the way back down.

I got the impression they were taking it real easy the whole way up. MECO happened at like 90 kilometers, and they took over two minutes to get above 100 km. No pushing envelopes, just a slow, paced ride to orbit.

7 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I got the impression they were taking it real easy the whole way up. MECO happened at like 90 kilometers, and they took over two minutes to get above 100 km. No pushing envelopes, just a slow, paced ride to orbit.

Apart from the 6th landing. :) That was pushing the envelope a bit and why the nice slow-paced ride to orbit makes perfect sense.

*knocks on wood* They're certainly starting to creep up on that 10x reuse goal!

13 minutes ago, KSK said:

Guess they hit the mark pretty well and its no boostback burn here, just the braking burn so no need to turn around fast, they probably also do correction during the braking burn. 

Those Starlink sats have to be really helping livestream coverage. I don't think we've ever seen consistent landing feeds on several launches back to back  before.

I thought SN6 would get SN30+ Raptors. I guess SN8 will get those.

I wonder if the September presentation for Starship will be postponed. A lot of milestones are coming up within the next couple months or so: SN6 and possibly more 5 hops, Raptor SN50, SN8 belly flop attempt, SN9 stacking, High bay completion, and the start of Superheavy construction. I think it'd be really cool if we saw a Superheavy prototype and SN8 (if it survives) or 9 standing together for the presentation. That would go a long way if they talk about orbital attempts in 2021.

Edited by Spaceception

8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Given that things are still very much in flux I wonder if they would ever consider doing multiple downcomers from the small tank to follow the heat shield and provide secondary cooling.

As it will probably be empty during reentry that would be pointless, if its filled heating it up will just get more LOX to boil off.
If follows the wall outside in the LOX tank as they don't want to push it trough the bulkheads to close to the edge. 
Benefit of having it inside the tank is that pressure difference is lower Now you could probably put it in the raceway but it might not be room.
Now one idea could be to use an thicker methane downcommer and use that as the header tank for methane. it don't looks to be an valve between the header tank and the downcommer anyway. But they might want it high for balance. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

As it will probably be empty during reentry that would be pointless, if its filled heating it up will just get more LOX to boil off.

That would be the point. The header tank will be full and downcomers would be as well, so you end up with heat transfer from the plasma to the tiles, from the tiles to the steel, and from the steel to the LOX. LOX boil-off maintains main tank gas pressure, which you need for RCS