How do you place wheels on abomination like this?

If you try a quadriped with stearable back axis? I know not the mass but the biggest landinggears at side gonduls up front and paired mediums at the back for stearing on the ground. If you are able to stear with your tailwings and maybe rcs than switch the backwards one for large and front one for giant versions.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

Throw some girders and struts on it to match the desired wheel placement.

E: Even better, create a launch carriage you can jettison right after takeoff. Then place wheels on the other parts so they can land independently.

Edited by regex

Place a wheel on any part of the ship that you think might come into contact with the ground, including nose, tail fin and wing ends, bottom and top. Otherwise you'll never know for sure.

Edited by cubinator

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

Looks like you have an uncrewed, airbreathing assist stage to help the main crewed part get to orbit, right?  Well, one alternative is to just tweak the design to make it easier to put wheels on.  Instead of having one big airbreather mounted underneath, what about two long/skinny airbreathers mounted on the left and right sides of the orbiter?  That way, you can mount the landing gear on the orbiter in conventional fashion and it takes off just fine.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Even better, create a launch carriage you can jettison right after takeoff. Then place wheels on the other parts so they can land independently.

Without further detail I'm inclined to agree to this. 

Depending on how each part recovery will be handled (stage recovery /independent landing on runaway /whatever) and how each part fly/land may allow something different. 

3 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Why can't it be on top like @fourfa mentioned?

I'm guessing there.  But assuming he is relying on those engines in the lower part for takeoff,  he don't want this unaligned thrust causing pitch down. 

Or maybe he just reached something that actually fly* and is concerned with the effort needed to find this "equilibrium"  again if much is changed. 

*even if only as in is such a abomination that the ground rejects it.  (no intention to disrespect your creation. Just sharing how I feel with my attempts with the same concept, my abominations) 

If you want to keep the general shape, i'd probably go for something similar to this:

Spoiler

S4uWS2I.jpg

Once in the air you can detach the front landing gears. ( I'm asuming the lower fuselage is going to be detached when it's bingo fuel ).

Or you could turn upside down the front part of the lower fuselage, leaving the intakes closer to the ground and put the landing gears there.

But what i'm really wondering is... how is going Jeb to get inside the cockpit?

Edited by Ozelui

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.