Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

2 minutes ago, DDE said:

But how can I look on the bright side if the sensors that indicate where the bright side is got fried?

IR horizon sensor looks at the warm side, only the IR-bright one.

The star sensor look at the stars, i.e away from the Sun.

Happily, the solar sensor stays intact and looks at the bright side.

2 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

*facedesk*

Are they going for 15 years on the ground?

In Russian social media the MLM “Nauka” is often expanded as “Misfortunate Laboratory Module” instead of “Multipurpose”. 

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

(Tries to find out a Russian social media writing in English...)

Not in English, I did a rough translation from

Spoiler

Многострадальный Лабораторный Модуль

"It looks like our rocket is missing a crucial piece of therma-"

"It is not a problem until somebody says it's a problem. If that happens, whoever says there is a problem will receive the blame for the problem."

"It looks like I was mistaken. There is no problem."

It's still much better than when the excessive parts keep lying on table when you have reassembled something, and make you decide if disassemble it again or leave it as is, as the parts are obviously excessive, because otherwise they would not be lying on table.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, Codraroll said:

"It looks like our rocket is missing a crucial piece of therma-"

"It is not a problem until somebody says it's a problem. If that happens, whoever says there is a problem will receive the blame for the problem."

"It looks like I was mistaken. There is no problem."

The buck stopped with the propellant handling team.

Challenge to Apollo by Asif A. Siddiqi states that before dying, Glushko told one of his aides to ensure his ashes were kept in an urn so that they could be taken to the surface of Venus. Did this actually occur, and is it known if Venera-D will carry them?

It's barely 8:30 AM and I've already had my laugh for the day.

So, the first bit of spyware is apparently a bhangmeter:

According to evidence gathered by a NATO member state’s intelligence agency, the new systems will house a nuclear explosion detection mechanism to feed warning data to the Russian nuclear command-and-control system, which in turn will send the information to the Cheget, the nuclear briefcase always carried close to President Vladimir Putin.

Aside from trying to imagine a situation when that could become problematic, NAVSTAR sats carried those from the very beginning.

And the second bit

“The most worrying new payload is a signals intelligence system that will give target location data on NATO surface vessels to the Russian naval forces to support engagement with long-range anti-ship missiles such as the 3M-54 (Kalibr),” said a source from the European agency, who was not authorized to speak on the record.

sounds suspiciously like someone confusing the GLONASS/Uragan series with Liana and Pion series. And then, yeah,

(yes, the mention of EKS Tundra is superfluous if we're talking about explosions)

I did find OKR Ruveta as a Ministry of Defense program in Reshetnev's FY2016 report. Yandex spits out a bunch of returns regarding Liana that don't actually contain mentions of Ruveta, as if there's some sort of an association in its AI engine... ah, never mind, this article is such an excellent bit of scaremongering that the Russian-government-run InoSMI has stayed up late yesterday to publish a translation, which is affecting Yandex.

Edited by DDE
Spelling and flow of text

This year, it is set to launch its new K2 satellite system in combination with a planned expansion of ground stations that would give GLONASS greater accuracy.

The peaceful and friendly K2 is aggresively met by the Western insinuators.

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg