Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

This is some news from awhile back.

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_establishes_deep_space_exploration_laboratory_999.html

As you can see in the link, China has established its first deep space exploration laboratory. It is located in Hefei. Its goals seem somewhat unclear but I bet that future lunar samples and the Mars sample return will initially be sent here.

Also, the announcement mentioned something I was unaware of-

The CNSA will support the lab to join the construction of major engineering projects, including the fourth phase of the lunar exploration program, the planetary exploration program, the international lunar scientific research station and the asteroid defense system, according to CNSA head Zhang Kejian.

------

https://www.space.com/china-reusable-rockets-for-astronaut-launches

China's next-generation crewed launch vehicle, tentatively called Long March-5DY, has been confirmed to be reusable. It will launch the Next-Generation Crewed Spacecraft to Tiangong, while a three core version will launch it to the Moon.

It uses a completely different recovery system. While it uses grid fins for maneuvering like F9, it will instead be caught with wires.

This makes it the first "real" rocket to move towards "catch" type recovery instead of propulsive landing EDIT- FIRST AFTER SPACEX, AND CATCHING FROM A GROUND FACILITY SPECIFICALLY  (the Chinese New Shepard I posted about awhile back doesn't count IMO. It seems pretty unlikely to succeed).

t33JVZtQPnFTfhu6nGq5U5-970-80.jpg

Based on this graphic, it is intended to launch from Wenchang Space Center on Hainan island. It still lands downrange, not doing RTLS, but instead landing on some sort of island. I think this will be dumped and instead a recovery ship will be used, because that would limit the available orbits (I think. Someone can correct me if I am wrong).

Also based on the graphics shown, it is still unclear whether the NGCS will have a launch escape tower or an integrated one like Crew Dragon. I personally lean towards the former, because based on the level of development of the NGCS, a lot would have to be undone and redone in order to accommodate the Dragon style system.

------

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-03-19/Wuhan-aims-to-become-China-s-valley-of-satellites-by-2025-18wyiGNs6XK/index.html

Wuhan is offering incentives for sat manufacturers to move or begin their operations there.

------

Chang'e 5 is a bigger thing than most realize.

China's first Moon rocks ignite research bonanza https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00683-6

About half a dozen papers have been published on the Chang’e-5 samples in the past six months. And last week, at the Lunar And Planetary Science Conference in Houston, Texas, a session on China’s lunar missions saw roughly a dozen studies presented.

--

“There are a lot of young Chinese researchers getting involved,” says Clive Neal, a geoscientist at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, who has worked on Chang’e-5 samples with collaborators in China. Several postgraduate researchers and students presented work on the lunar samples at the conference in Houston, he says.

--

Last July, the China National Space Administration released the first specimens to scientists across China. Some 17.5 grams of fine-grained powder and solid rock were distributed for 31 scientific projects selected from 85 applications. Several further rounds of applications to work with lunar samples have followed.

--

But Hsu says there will be a lot of groups trying to solve the mystery and gain other insights about the Moon. He has seen many researchers join the field since the arrival of the Chang’e-5 samples. This year, his laboratory received more applications from students keen to join their graduate programme than they could accommodate. “This has never been the case before.”

Lin expects even more researchers to get involved. Within the next decade, China is planning a sample-return mission to the Moon’s south pole and another to Mars.

“Twenty to thirty years ago, this was just a dream. Now it has come true,” says Li.

------

Here is some info on the Long March 9's second stage engine-

------

Finally, the China-ESA Einstein Probe has passed a major review. It will launch in 2023.

https://spacenews.com/china-to-launch-einstein-probe-in-2023-to-observe-destructive-cosmic-events/

Edited by SunlitZelkova
Made a huge mistake in a statement

34 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

This makes it the first "real" rocket to move towards "catch" type recovery instead of propulsive landing (the Chinese New Shepard I posted about awhile back doesn't count IMO. It seems pretty unlikely to succeed)

I don't know what you mean by "real rocket", but the US used to catch Corona spy sat film canisters out of the air. That was decades ago.

11 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

deep space exploration laboratory

They will send the samples not only from the lunar and Mars may have in the future, but also from the asteroids.

"The follow-up deep space exploration will be long-term and continuous. " Wu Weiren, cheif designer of China's lunar exploration project, revealed that "one of the main tasks of the follow-up is to detect asteroids in deep space, collect samples and take them back. In the future, we are also prepared to carry out exploration of other planets traversing the solar system. For example, consider the possibility of detecting Venus, detecting near-Earth asteroids that threaten the Earth, and achieving early warning, defence and disposal of them, and so on." He revealed that some of the missions have been included in the planning and demonstration. (transcript of the original interview in Chinese

"On the 100th anniversary of the founding of the New China (well, PRC, that's the some kind Chinese version political & historically correct way to call the name), I hope we can probe the edge of the solar system 100  astronmical units away." He said.

32 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

recovery ship

Personaly I prefer the ship idea. But those three artificial islands in South China Sea I don't think they can't be used in this way: if they're not big enough, make it as big as they want:ph34r:. But anyway, the process now just "ha your ideas looks great, let's discuss it". Still don't reach "that's it let's do it" stage.

37 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Moon rocks

My friend in Beijing said she was already saw it physically at the National Museum of China. Really jealous on it.

And the YF-90 engine. All I can found is they completed 40 test with two other engines: YF79 & YF102's whole system test and YF-90 semi-system tests. The so called semi-system test probably like this before: fuel ingection but no ignition.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:30 AM, steve9728 said:

Oh wait... I found the something about YF-130.  Because it is a pure Chinese video without subtitles I won't post it here. The video shows CCTV went to the CNSA Fifth Research Institue and filming the "full working conditions semi-systematic test run" for 5 seconds of the YF-130 engine: fuel ingection but no ignition.

Well if you really want to watch... here it is: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1VK4y1G7K2?from=search&seid=14739954875701782702&spm_id_from=333.337.0.0

Fast forward to 06:34

15 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't know what you mean by "real rocket", but the US used to catch Corona spy sat film canisters out of the air. That was decades ago.

I meant a launch vehicle that is highly likely to become operational.

The problem of the orbit of launching satellite on Hainan Island has never been entirely arbitrary: if we launch to the south-east way, we also have to consider not having the wreckage of the rocket hit the Philippines. Personally I think Taiwan is the best place for us to luanch something. But, well, in macro terms "that day" is already counting down, so let's talk about it until "that day".

After looking the orbit of Tianhe core module, it was launch to the north-east way of the island. This direction don't have any island anyway.

Edited by steve9728

On 3/30/2022 at 8:17 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

This makes it the first "real" rocket to move towards "catch" type recovery instead of propulsive landing (the Chinese New Shepard I posted about awhile back doesn't count IMO. It seems pretty unlikely to succeed).

Rocket Lab has captured with a helicopter.  And aerial capture is not new at all.  There was a lot of buzz on the net about how SpaceX would catch boosters and several theories involved wires as in the PRC concept, but SpaceX went with the catch arms as they'd be safer, more reliable, and allow rotation to the side and lowering/raising/stacking.  The cables will likely be plagued with uncontrollable bouncing and swaying is my guess which will increase dynamic stresses on the hold points on the booster quite a bit.  I imagine if SpaceX had the catch tower concept going before that Falcon 9 RTLS would be caught instead of propulsive landing; and it still could be probably.  There will be a catch tower at Canaveral soon if all goes to plan, so maybe they will try that for a legless F9 and get even more payload capacity.  Falcon 9 is a "real" rocket also.  So it has that going for it

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

[snip]   I think that most of the current "Under Development" Chinese designs are never going to fly.  That just how things work with rockets, some government funding and competition with another country gives way to some innovation and start ups but they all die off or fail  (Unless your SpaceX).

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

[snip]

Well actually the commercial space company in some way is "we got some big bosses who earn lots of *** money, so let's (CNSA) take the lead and let them throw them *** money into the sea". The other one like the Changguang Satellite which focusing on the high resolution satellite and Tianyi Space which focusing the SAR satellite and so on, also have the technolegy and ecnomic founding by the government and CNSA. I think just like the Space X: Falcon 9 couldn't come out from nowhere right? Some technology if only depends on CNSA to develop it, it will have fanancial problem. Leading and involving private capital is a good and somewhat "catfish effect" thing to do so. If you understand what CNSA did as a somehow 'video game', those comercial company is 'DLCs'.

As for why 1/10. I think somehow their thought is they don't think what they did is "we don't know its cool enough to show it": there are already have the block of the Chinese possitive information on the net anyway. Let those guys insist them though as long as they can.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

2 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Well actually the commercial space company in some way is "we got some big bosses who earn lots of *** money, so let's (CNSA) take the lead and let them throw them *** money into the sea". The other one like the Changguang Satellite which focusing on the high resolution satellite and Tianyi Space which focusing the SAR satellite and so on, also have the technolegy and ecnomic founding by the government and CNSA. I think just like the Space X: Falcon 9 couldn't come out from nowhere right? Some technology if only depends on CNSA to develop it, it will have fanancial problem. Leading and involving private capital is a good and somewhat "catfish effect" thing to do so. If you understand what CNSA did as a somehow 'video game', those comercial company is 'DLCs'.

As for why 1/10. I think somehow their thought is they don't think what they did is "we don't know its cool enough to show it": there are already have the block of the Chinese possitive information on the net anyway. Let those guys insist them though as long as they can.

I think there may be a bit of a language barrier here, the 1/10 was only meant to say that 1/10 of the PRC space news in Chinese language ends up translated to English typically.  Some people like to hear the other 9/10 even if it is boring to others, just as we like all the boring details of any space news :)

9 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I think there may be a bit of a language barrier here, the 1/10 was only meant to say that 1/10 of the PRC space news in Chinese language ends up translated to English typically.  Some people like to hear the other 9/10 even if it is boring to others, just as we like all the boring details of any space news :)

Actually many of them was published with English but if people not speacking Chinese you really don't know how to find them. That's really annoying me somehow: do you know how cool you did, CNSA? And well... you know, just like what I share about the science rack will be use on the space station in future, that things really don't have any English translated introduction (yet) except the two of them was already mounted on the core module.

Edited by steve9728

On 3/30/2022 at 9:32 PM, darthgently said:

Rocket Lab has captured with a helicopter.  And aerial capture is not new at all.  There was a lot of buzz on the net about how SpaceX would catch boosters and several theories involved wires as in the PRC concept, but SpaceX went with the catch arms as they'd be safer, more reliable, and allow rotation to the side and lowering/raising/stacking.  The cables will likely be plagued with uncontrollable bouncing and swaying is my guess which will increase dynamic stresses on the hold points on the booster quite a bit.  I imagine if SpaceX had the catch tower concept going before that Falcon 9 RTLS would be caught instead of propulsive landing; and it still could be probably.  There will be a catch tower at Canaveral soon if all goes to plan, so maybe they will try that for a legless F9 and get even more payload capacity.  Falcon 9 is a "real" rocket also.  So it has that going for it

Nope.

True.

And now that I am reading what I wrote, I completely forgot to write “first after SpaceX”… whoops.

Also, what I meant was “terrestrial catch”, like from a tower as opposed to aerial. I personally view Rocket Lab’s as being a sort of extension of the Corona catch method mentioned above. It’s still innovative, but not as groundbreaking as SpaceX’s.

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Tianzhou-2 re-enter atmosphere over the South Pacific. It has been on mission for 10 months and one day.

Thank you Tianzhou-2!

The mission badge on the enginer's shoulders who was on the site:

0077-Nzxhly1gqo3m7h3gej30u00tvagk.jpg

The mission badge design by the 8th institude and can buy it online: 

006-HGq7aly1gvet6er1lcj60u00tfgsg02.jpg

Spoiler

They can be conbined

20220331174848.png

Edited by steve9728

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Falling booster. 

Damn I've trying to do some April fool!

Spoiler

U2142P27T1D529539F3DT20081110131446.jpg

But this is not. This is the a scaled-down model of Tengyun Project's Reusable Test Spacecraft technology verification. There has been a lot of hype by the FT and other media for some time because the CZ-2F/G launched a full-scale proof model of this at August last year and its re-entry velocity reached the threshold for intra-atmospheric hypersonic velocity. What was they said? Orbital bombers?

Edited by steve9728

A large amount of content has been redacted and/or removed due to getting into politics (which are not allowed here-- c'mon, folks, you know this!) as well as off-topic matters.

Please avoid politics and try to stick to the topic.  Thank you for your understanding.