[0.17] RedStar co-op Airplane parts v0.4.1

vvaris

Interesting, I got similar report earlier, which part you are talking about? This is the reason why I have test pilots :P Mod development is rather slow at the moment, I try to find some time in next month or so.. But it will be awesome eventually. :D If you could make a special "lets play" concentrating on this mod that would be great. ;)

Schweet :) Well, here's my testing, without looking too much into the "manual". In my opinion common sense should be enough for a click and fly game as KSP to make some planes, so I might be a little... frustrated at you. But once that is fixed, this mod definately comes high on the prio list to install. The most annoying thing I do consider a "bug" is at the 2:55 mark.

Watch this, highlighted out my testing on the mod: http://www.twitch.tv/sceppie/b/334680987

Also note that parts snap off because of crossusing mods, so not really your fault. Although attaching an engine shouldn't really break a fuselage.

Edit: Oh boy, I'm embarrassed the way I complain about "the mod author" in the first minute... I've definitely not shown the good side of me there, my sincere apologies :/

Edit 2: I've read up on "known issues" I guess I should've done that earlier. This is really the annoying part what makes the mod troublesome. It's like an achilles heel. Come on collabs, make some noise for vvaris here!:

As far as I understand there is no way currently to have the attach node have an 5 degree rotation, so at the moment we are limited to attaching the first fuselage part to the adapter using the surface snapping. After connection the adapter it is good idea to rotate the command module (ejection seat) 5 degrees so you can continue building in straight line after the adapter. You can rotate any part a 5 degrees at a time if you press SIFT+W,A,S,D,Q or E. If you wish to reset the rotation press SPACE.

SU adapter is difficult to attach to anything, using surface snapping works but is troublesome.

Edited by Sceppie

dear all,

I would like to share with you my space airplane. it uses the saucer engine and burns zero fuel. It lands as a normal plane in any planet with atmosphere and lands as a spaceship in planets without air. To land as a plane the wings retract close to eachother and for landing without air they retract as an "X" and has lights to illuminate the runway or the land on which it is approahing. It has also a decoupler in case any accident occured and a small plane equiped with a small fuel tank will fly away from danger and land as a normal plane and for any bad reason this small plane is damaged too, the pilot can eject and land with a parachute!

Safety is very important in my ships and I usualy put 3 safety backup to save the pilot life because that's the most important thing! So this mod with eject seat is very important for the safety and right of kerbins

Edited by ramy

Schweet :) Well, here's my testing, without looking too much into the "manual". In my opinion common sense should be enough for a click and fly game as KSP to make some planes, so I might be a little... frustrated at you. But once that is fixed, this mod definately comes high on the prio list to install. The most annoying thing I do consider a "bug" is at the 2:55 mark.

Watch this, highlighted out my testing on the mod: http://www.twitch.tv/sceppie/b/334680987

Also note that parts snap off because of crossusing mods, so not really your fault. Although attaching an engine shouldn't really break a fuselage.

Edit: Oh boy, I'm embarrassed the way I complain about "the mod author" in the first minute... I've definitely not shown the good side of me there, my sincere apologies :/

Edit 2: I've read up on "known issues" I guess I should've done that earlier. This is really the annoying part what makes the mod troublesome. It's like an achilles heel. Come on collabs, make some noise for vvaris here!:

Haha, No I love the critics!:D I think I deserve it since I have come blind to these issues. Now I understand the problems you are having better. The reason the SU fuselage is so fragile is that I originally designed it to be fragile to counter balance its great lift rating and to make it more challenging to land. But I see now it doesn't work really like that, Its hard to get it to stay one piece, even more so with the default landing gear since they don't have suspension. I think they need to be tweaked a bit.. Hmm the parts are somewhat in wrong orientation, need to fix that also. the back canopy rotation is off because that part is now decoupler, and it needs to be pointed that way to decouple in right direction, I'm not 100% sure tho..

Thanks for the video, I try to find time to make some changes and develop the mod further.

<cut> Thanks for the video, I try to find time to make some changes and develop the mod further.

I think loads of people would have this on their list of awesome mods if this is all fixed :) awesomesauce!

why do you have to rotate the rear attach node on the SU adapter 5 degrees? just make the mating surfaces between those parts be perfectly vertical, then have the attach node not rotated. I think a picture will explain it better, so here is one i just sketched up:

fTFmg.png

why do you have to rotate the rear attach node on the SU adapter 5 degrees? just make the mating surfaces between those parts be perfectly vertical, then have the attach node not rotated. I think a picture will explain it better, so here is one i just sketched up:

Yes, this is the best solution I came up with too. I would need to remake the SU-adapter and and create a second cockpit with the angle so it fits with the adapter seamlessly. This would make these parts useless with other parts. I'm going to consider this once I have time to develop the mod again.

Edit: The angle can be only in the cockpit/adapter, the fuselage produces lift and doing this for the fuselage would probably screw up the lift vector.

Edited by vvaris

Actually vvaris, I think I found a way to orient an attach node any number of degrees that you want:

In the part.cfg, the attachnode line looks something like this:

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 75.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -76.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -51.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1

The first three values are x,y,z coordinates, very obvious. The next three values are the part-oriented x,y,z values for the direction of the attach node. If you want to try angling the part down, say, 30 degrees, try taking the sine and cosine of 30 degrees and drop it in there:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 75.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.8660, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -76.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.8660, 0.0

And the part will try to attach at 30 degrees off. I have to admit, I love the parts and would hate to see you waste time re-doing a model when this fix should work (I think). If you already thought of it and it didn't work, sorry for wasting your time.

Edited by ferram4

I will gladly be a test pilot if you need one. I frequently do Kerbal Space Program livestreams on my Twitch.tv page, where I built aircraft (mostly planes) that push the limits of my own imagination.

So yeah, Check out my Twitch if you want to see what I build and the quality of my streams, and email me if you will give me the amazing honor of testing your mod.

Twitch.tv: http://twitch.tv/wdgames2010#

Email: [email protected]

Actually vvaris, I think I found a way to orient an attach node any number of degrees that you want:

In the part.cfg, the attachnode line looks something like this:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 75.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -76.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

The first three values are x,y,z coordinates, very obvious. The next three values are the part-oriented x,y,z values for the direction of the attach node. If you want to try angling the part down, say, 30 degrees, try taking the sine and cosine of 30 degrees and drop it in there:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 75.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.8660, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -76.0, 0.0, 0.5, 0.8660, 0.0

And the part will try to attach at 30 degrees off. I have to admit, I love the parts and would hate to see you waste time re-doing a model when this fix should work (I think). If you already thought of it and it didn't work, sorry for wasting your time.

Cool! I was wondering what values they are. I'm gonna try this once I have time. Thank you very much for the info!

This is an great mod using it I made a F-35 Raptor from The First Transformers movie... and no not from Generation 1.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34925[/ATTACH]

It does seem to like to flip out of control some times so I'm going to try and fix that.(If its possible)

Edited by jason0735

An update on how things are going?

Thanks very much for the amazing parts :)

I'm doing some contract work 24/7 at least until half of next month :S I try to pick up the mod soon after that and do some much needed textures / bug fixes. I was thinking also a spacepod with ejection seat.. :P

• 6 months later...