• Christopher Eccleston
    • David Tennant
    • Matt Smith
    • Peter Capaldi
    • Jodie Whittaker
    • Peter Cushing
    • John Hurt

• 4 weeks later...

I had to go with Tom Baker, although I'd put in a plug for Matt Smith for the 2000's era.  (Which is interesting, because I am not sure I liked his portrayal of the Doctor best... but I think the writing during that time period was top-notch and they did some of their best shows.)

• 3 months later...

There are many kinds of doctors. I'm that cat who never liked Doctor Who, but I will certainly name off a few honorable mentions. Here are my...

Favorite fictional philanthropists physicians:
Stephen Strange 
Henry Moreau
Otto Octavius

Historical Healers:
Stephen Hawking
Carl Sagan
Carl Jung

I'm pretty sure each one of these doctors would punish "THE" Doctor Who in one way or another.
...Well, tbh Doc Ock would probably have his BadS served to him via Dalek dome-plate and Dr. Moreau would get himself killed by his own Beast-Men, but the rest of my short list here would almost certainly out-think all of the Doctor Which! :P

Doctor Donna, of course. :)  But since that's not an option, Peter Capaldi.

Am I really the only one who likes Peter Capaldi? And there are Christopher Eccleston fans? 

Well, let me justify my preference for Capaldi: first of all, I'm excluding the first half season after the regeneration, as those are often the weakest for any doctor, and were especially bad for Capaldi. I think Capaldi just edges out David Tennant and Matt Smith (who I would rate slightly above David Tennant, but possibly only because of writing and story quality), because first of all, I think he captures the quirky and dramatic nature of the doctor better than the others, who played the doctor straighter. Second, as an older actor, the writers can avoid a companion-doctor romance more easily, which I think is better as those romances always have to end badly, and I think they make the companion's character more flat, as there is nothing going on with them outside of the adventures they have with the doctor.

I'm also ignoring the old doctors, since I've seen very few of those episodes.

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Am I really the only one who likes Peter Capaldi? And there are Christopher Eccleston fans?

Yes and yes...

I mean no and yes...

I already wrote in here I'm a big Eccleston fan... In fact, I'll re-post why... just because it's so good.

This was the scene that got me back into watching the new Dr. Who... Up until then I'd been on the fence about a reboot... But this... this was dark... and y'all know me... I love all things dark!!!

And I really did like Peter Capaldi... I just wasn't terribly pleased with some of the writing when he first showed up. But that's not his fault... that's the writing staff. I thought he was quite a good doctor:

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes and yes...

I mean no and yes...

I already wrote in here I'm a big Eccleston fan... In fact, I'll re-post why... just because it's so good.

[...]

This was the scene that got me back into watching the new Dr. Who... Up until then I'd been on the fence about a reboot... But this... this was dark... and y'all know me... I love all things dark!!!

And I really did like Peter Capaldi... I just wasn't terribly pleased with some of the writing when he first showed up. But that's not his fault... that's the writing staff. I thought he was quite a good doctor:

[...]

That makes sense, I just prefer the lighter side of the show. :) 

And I agree, some of the early writing wasn't very good, the way Clara seemed to hold it against the doctor for changing was particularly unbelievable. But I do like the over-the-top-ness and how gregarious and unselfconscious his portrayal of the doctor is.

11 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

And I agree, some of the early writing wasn't very good, the way Clara seemed to hold it against the doctor for changing was particularly unbelievable. But I do like the over-the-top-ness and how gregarious and unselfconscious his portrayal of the doctor is.

Yes, exactly! It's a little off-topic, but if we did a thread on favorite companions, Clara would be dead last on mine. All the other companions, male, female, or alien, all seem to have some sort of quirky character flaw(s). But Clara was just too perfect, to the point of being boring, and not a good companion IMO. Nothing against the actress, she's cute as a button... I blame the writers. They were trying too hard to replace Amy.

But Capaldi's version was beautifully flawed, and very comical. I just don't think he got a fair start.... again, blame the writers.

Edited by Just Jim

I was really excited about Capaldi, even though my only exposure to him was in Doctor Who as Caecilius and Torchwood.

I agree with Jim.  I don't care much for the Capaldi episodes, but it's moreso the writing and the fact that I just loathe Clara than his portrayal.  She was good for a one-off in the asylum, nothing more.

I would have much rather seen Sally Sparrow and whats-his-name Larry Nightingale come back than Clara.  Those two were way more interesting.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would have much rather seen Sally Sparrow and whats-his-name Larry Nightingale come back than Clara.  Those two were way more interesting.

The couple from "Blink?" Absolutely!!!

They would have been great companions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.