Feedback from a newcomer

Hello respectful community and devs.

I bought the game recently and I am enjoying it. But there are rough edges around and I want to point them out.

I did play through all tutorial scenarios to make sure I am just doing dumb stuff all around so I had some initial knowledge when I tried to perform different stuff.

I am not off Kerbin just yet but I have quite a few successful orbital mission already.

1. Contracts.

Really many contracts have unclear objectives. For example contract for testing parts like couplers or chutes do not tell you details like the part HAS to be activated using STAGING when all requirements are met. I spent quite a lot of time to understand that. Same goes for parts like engines that have a rightclick option for running the test.

I had some problems understanding how do observation missions work as well as temperature/pressure tests and it was always an issue to spot required sensor in flight to rightclick it.

Jokes in mission descriptions are fine but there should definitely be exact clear explanation for every objective.

Missions with taking data on surface are really confusing until you have any means of travelling on ground like rovers or something. Landing a plane on this stage is even worse of a problem.

2. Planes

Planes are really confusing in every possible aspect. There are almost no means of navigation. And the most annoying thing there is no autopilot. While planes are obvious tools for taking test data with "below" alt, getting to the spot is really confusing with no means for warping. KSP runway location is also a problem to locate both in map mode and in navigation. I had too big of an issue landing plane cause I could not visually locate the runway as well. So for now I just ignore planes while they can be really useful.

3. Map

First and the most annoying thing is that KSP center is not visible on map. In both in-flight and from space center. I am sure showing KSP base on map with direction grid (like navball) would be great.

Second problem is night/dark side. I find is rediculous that space program with that high tech all around can't see the planetary map from map view. And in-flight especially on a plane I just can't see anything like a blind kitten. Really not good at all.

4. Stability Launch Enhancer

I am sure this one is meant to be used to stabilize rocket before launch cause sometimes rockets just fall due to wind or other stuff. But in my experience this thing only reduces launch stability as when it is released rocket experiences a major shake like one when physics ititialize before launch.

For now thats all. This is not some kind of a rage post or something. I just tried pointing out weak spots from a newbie standpoints as most veterans are too used to all of this stuff to actually notice it.

33 minutes ago, Pacifyer said:

3. Map

First and the most annoying thing is that KSP center is not visible on map. In both in-flight and from space center. I am sure showing KSP base on map with direction grid (like navball) would be great.

Common complaint of nearly everyone. And us old folk have a solution... take a KErman and go out and plant a flag at the KSC. I have a flag planted at the ocean-end of the runway. And it works pretty well. Just make sure you name the flag something you'll remember. I named mine, "KSC".

35 minutes ago, Pacifyer said:

I am sure this one is meant to be used to stabilize rocket before launch cause sometimes rockets just fall due to wind or other stuff. But in my experience this thing only reduces launch stability as when it is released rocket experiences a major shake like one when physics ititialize before launch.

There are many reasons this happens - the first being your rocket may not have enough thrust to gain quick speed. You can move your staging around in the editor or before you launch. What I normally do is to stage the engines first, then stage the launch clamps/stabilizers on the next stage. So, when I hit the space bar the first time, the engines ignite. When I hit the space bar the second time, the craft is released. This way, you don't have the launchpad drop.

36 minutes ago, Pacifyer said:

2. Planes

Planes are really confusing in every possible aspect. There are almost no means of navigation. And the most annoying thing there is no autopilot. While planes are obvious tools for taking test data with "below" alt, getting to the spot is really confusing with no means for warping. KSP runway location is also a problem to locate both in map mode and in navigation. I had too big of an issue landing plane cause I could not visually locate the runway as well. So for now I just ignore planes while they can be really useful.

Planes were an afterthought of the game, if you ask my opinion. Back in .22, we had some plane designs that most folks remember were quite nightmarish. What we have now is a big improvement. Again, see my response to #3 for the KSC location problem. There are some mods available which can act as an autopilot...

39 minutes ago, Pacifyer said:

For now thats all. This is not some kind of a rage post or something. I just tried pointing out weak spots from a newbie standpoints as most veterans are too used to all of this stuff to actually notice it.

No, most of us "veterans" have just learned to adapt to the issues you bring up. Believe me, the game is a lot better than those wee-early editions.

9 hours ago, Pacifyer said:

For example contract for testing parts like couplers or chutes do not tell you details like the part HAS to be activated using STAGING when all requirements are met.

I am not sure if I got it from a mod (doubt that), but I believe it actually says how you have to perform the test. Both in mission control and contract button in flight, when you expand it.

it was always an issue to spot required sensor in flight to rightclick it.

That's something I think you just get used to. After a while you remember how the experiments look like, and more importantly, where you placed them on your craft.

Landing a plane on this stage is even worse of a problem

What can I say, I have hundreds of hours poured into this game and I'm still Indiana Jones in terms of landing. And then there are people who land 80+ kerbal motherfship spaceplanes on other planets. I guess it's just skill.

Make sure you put a least two, symmetrical, or if rocket is tall enough and shaky in the first place, also some clamps near the top.

Didn't want to mention that so early, so you don't uh... Corrupt your beautiful stock game but, unless you got it on a console, well... Mods. There are autopilots, maps, physics-easiers etc, you name it.

Hi there, welcome to KSP and its forum.

I understand most of your points - from the point of view of a new player, there are definitely some less than intuitive things about this game. Squad has done a lot in recent versions to improve on that, adding better descriptions, more tooltips, a KSPedia, tweaked/improved tutorials, and more/better UI controls. But you're right, there is still room for improvement.

A few tips that may help you enjoy the game in its current form (without in any way diminishing your observations):

First: visit this forum, it's an amazing resource of all kinds of information that would otherwise not be obvious if tackling the game by oneself. You'll find that despite a bit of grumbling every now and then, this community is pretty amazing and very helpful to new players. Feel free to ask questions - you'll find that most if not all of the things you might run into have been encountered by others as well, and you'll get quick solutions or workarounds offered in no time.

About your 'most annoying thing': there is a little-advertised way of adding a permanent waypoint for the KSC in the stock game, through the debug console. From the Tracking Station (or while controlling a craft), call up the debug menu (mod-F12, where 'mod' is Alt on PC), and on the console command line enter the command '/ksc'. From that moment on, you'll have a waypoint in your game centered on the space center area, which will help to navigate. By default it only shows on the map/tracking station, but when you rightclick on the waypoint marker it allows to 'activate navigation', which will also show an indicator on your navball (four blue arrows pointing inwards). I add a few screenshots to clarify in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

ciZB3Vo.png

The debug console command '/ksc' adds a waypoint for the space center

c6rVVTv.png

Rightclicking the waypoint marker and selecting 'activate navigation' will make it show on the navball as well.

eWU7lO1.png

The navball will then show a directional marker (the blue arrows) that helps to keep the correct heading even when there are (almost) no visual reference points.

You also mention having an issue with the darkness on the map and inflight. This can be changed in-game to your preference, by using the three 'Ambient Light Boost' sliders in the settings (one for inflight, one for the map, and one for the editor). In-game you can find them under the Esc menu, Settings (scroll a bit down). See the screenshot below.

Spoiler

Q11n2Pp.png

Esc, Settings, scroll a bit down - the three Ambient Light Boost sliders can be adjusted to your personal preferences.

For locating the runway from a plane, I do what @adsii1970 suggested, with a little addition: instead of just one flag, I plant two of them, one at each end of the runway. With two flags, besides simply finding the runway, you can also use the markers as visual aids in aligning with the runway direction - just keep them overlapping as you approach and you are pretty much perfectly aligned for landing. Just remember to place the flags a bit beyond the outer edges of the runway (which includes the slope down to the flat KSC terrain) - otherwise the game will keep complaining that there is a 'craft' already on the runway.

Keep playing, and keep posting your observations.

Edited by swjr-swis
crouching fingers, spurious chars

OK, I agree with pretty much everything already written... And for the record, I used to do the flag thing for the runway as well, until I got to where I just know where it is.

But as far as something else the OP mentioned:

19 hours ago, Pacifyer said:

Missions with taking data on surface are really confusing until you have any means of travelling on ground like rovers or something. Landing a plane on this stage is even worse of a problem.

This is exactly what you need to build to explore the ground, a rover of some kind.  And big hint:

Spoiler

There's a lot... and I mean a LOT... of available biomes built into the Space Center itself that can be explored using a simple rover with some science equipment on it.

Building a rover, and some sort of delivery system, be it spaceship or blimp, is one of the more challenging parts of the game, and can get quite elaborate... like my airship Annabel Lee, which can carry a variety of rovers, or even smaller exploration balloons, for exploring Kerbin, and maybe Eve and Laythe later on:

GseUD89.png

Building rovers is one of my favorite things to do... and again, you can get really crazy finding ways to use them.

Edited by Just Jim

On 2/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, Pacifyer said:

1. Contracts.

Really many contracts have unclear objectives. For example contract for testing parts like couplers or chutes do not tell you details like the part HAS to be activated using STAGING when all requirements are met. I spent quite a lot of time to understand that. Same goes for parts like engines that have a rightclick option for running the test.

I had some problems understanding how do observation missions work as well as temperature/pressure tests and it was always an issue to spot required sensor in flight to rightclick it.

Jokes in mission descriptions are fine but there should definitely be exact clear explanation for every objective.

2. Planes

3. Map

Second problem is night/dark side. I find is rediculous that space program with that high tech all around can't see the planetary map from map view. And in-flight especially on a plane I just can't see anything like a blind kitten. Really not good at all.

1. They actually do specify if you read the full contract description closely. Assign the science test part to an action group if you have trouble right clicking it.

2. Kerbnet let's you set way points, use those for navigation. You can also click your contract waypoint in map view and set it to display on your Navball. Your Navball not only tells you the cardinal direction you are travelling but also the degrees of your heading. Physical time warp is possible for planes, just hold Alt and hit > or < only goes to x4 max though. You only think you need an autopilot because you have the weakest starting jet engines, once you have better ones you can be on the other side of Kerbin in like 5 mins.

3. Once again, set a waypoint with Kerbnet, or plant a flag out there and name it KSC, or make a mini rover, name it KSC and drive it out there. Use your imagination!

4. Not sure what you mean, haven't seen this myself; although I rarely use the launch stabilizers. When I do I stage them with the engines or just before the engines.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

On the rare occasion I play career, on the test contracts, I will right click on them before launch, pin them, and move them over to the side of the screen.  Then I don't have to go looking for them when it comes time to test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.