Shower thoughts

p1t1o

12 hours ago, cubinator said:

One day, someone is going to run DOOM on a human brain.

Kind of reminds me of Tynan Sylvester's theories on game design. He says that the game systems don't matter, only the model of those systems inside the player's brain. It's interesting how close that is to how AIs are trained to play video games. (courtesy of this blog on neural networks)

7 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Kind of reminds me of Tynan Sylvester's theories on game design. He says that the game systems don't matter, only the model of those systems inside the player's brain. It's interesting how close that is to how AIs are trained to play video games. (courtesy of this blog on neural networks)

That makes sense. For instance, every planet in KSP has a point-mass at its center, and the ground is a hollow shell. But our brains don't really know or care about that while casually playing the game.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

That makes sense. For instance, every planet in KSP has a point-mass at its center, and the ground is a hollow shell. But our brains don't really know or care about that while casually playing the game.

Except when your submarine glitches through the sea floor.  

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I remember playing Doom so much that I hallucinated the in-game sounds...

Late night in the college dorm.  Playing Doom for multiple hours, both on and off-line.  Step out of the room and walk down the hallway, where the only light is a couple of florescent lights, one at each end of the hallway.  And one of them is flickering.

And then a door opens just after you walk past...

3 hours ago, razark said:

Late night in the college dorm.  Playing Doom for multiple hours, both on and off-line.  Step out of the room and walk down the hallway, where the only light is a couple of florescent lights, one at each end of the hallway.  And one of them is flickering.

Did you try to take them out with your chainsaw?

4 hours ago, razark said:

I don't know about Doom, but one of the underground passageways in my dorm sounds straight out of Portal 2, from the hum of machinery to the sound the door makes when you open it. The walls are definitely portalable there too, white paint.

~1990. I had the first time playing LHX (DOS combat helicopter simulator), all night long.
Walking to the subway and later in the morning I was avoiding obstacles moving along the arc, sitting down by spiralling, and tilting back on stopping,

Two years later this repeated after the all-day-long  Fighter-Bomber on ZX Spectrum.

After several years of LHXing, the habit of attention focus switching through targets when walking along the street — I still have... 

The first night after Duke Nuk'em 3d I couldn't sleep, as I had never seen anything so much realistic, so laying in bed with closed eyes I was having an endless loop of me in the game locations with excellent CGI trying to realize how should I distinguish if this is a simulation or not.

Edited by kerbiloid

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

~1990. I had the first time playing LHX (DOS combat helicopter simulator), all night long.
Walking to the subway and later in the morning I was avoiding obstacles moving along the arc, sitting down by spiralling, and tilting back on stopping,

Two years later this repeated after the all-day-long  Fighter-Bomber on ZX Spectrum.

After several years of LHXing, the habit of attention focus switching through targets when walking along the street — I still have... 

I've had a habit of switching targets for like three years. It's helpful in dodgeball.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, cubinator said:

I don't know about Doom, but one of the underground passageways in my dorm sounds straight out of Portal 2, from the hum of machinery to the sound the door makes when you open it. The walls are definitely portalable there too, white paint.

Once I was near some buildings and it sounded exactly like one place in Half Life.

Is there anywhere/anyone that formally tracks the date? If so, have they been doing it for a significant length of time?

Like, everyone just seems to keep count of what year it is on their own, considering how seldom you hear the question "Whats the year again?" I mean, you hear that, but not often. And when you get an answer, nobody looks it up from somewhere to check, they just tell you what year they think it is.

I wonder if humanity has ever just kinda lost track of what the year is, and just collectively "fudged" it. We'd never know.

Probably its written down in too many places (eg: newspapers) to happen now, but in the past maybe?

How long have wwe been using the current yearly calendar on a global scale? (Probably not as long as I think, right?)

And more importantly, how did we convince everyone to use the same one, when we cant convince everyone to do anything today??

(I know it probably wasnt someone doing any actual "convincing" but a more natural process, but still, weird.)

What the year is, is probably the most agreed-upon thing on the entire planet.

Edited by p1t1o

7 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Chinese Calendar: 4714
Buddhist Calendar: 2560
Byzantine Calendar: 7526
Ethiopian Calendar: 2010
Hebrew Calendar: 5778
Holocene Calendar: 12018
Islamic Calendar: 1439
Japanese Calendar: Heisei 30
Thai Solar Calendar: 2561

My calendar: 242

5 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

How long have wwe been using the current yearly calendar on a global scale? (Probably not as long as I think, right?)

And more importantly, how did we convince everyone to use the same one, when we cant convince everyone to do anything today??

(I know it probably wasnt someone doing any actual "convincing" but a more natural process, but still, weird.)

It works, thats why.

53 minutes ago, razark said:
1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Chinese Calendar: 4714
Buddhist Calendar: 2560
Byzantine Calendar: 7526
Ethiopian Calendar: 2010
Hebrew Calendar: 5778
Holocene Calendar: 12018
Islamic Calendar: 1439
Japanese Calendar: Heisei 30
Thai Solar Calendar: 2561

My calendar: 242

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Jainism

"Most agreed upon" does not preclude the existence of other calendars, and the same question would apply to all of them anyway.

Just because theres a chinese calendar, doesnt mean most chinese people dont use [quickly googles...] the gregorian calendar.

If i walk into a cafe in Bangkok and ask someone what year is it, are they going to tell me its 2561?

Point being that the year is an entirely arbitrary thing, and there is no actual correct answer to what year it is, just that we all have some way to talk about it.

The reason the Gregorian one is the de facto standard is probably European colonization.