Shower thoughts

p1t1o

If we told 1955's Werner Von Braun about every spaceflight achievement up to 1969, and then (without any extra context) told him where space-related progress is now, he'd probably start to assume there was a nuclear holocaust in-between that halted development.

Once you live a moment, it's lost forever. Eg. This thing I am writing right now will never happen again in the exact way it happened. Life will never be the same, every second, every moment, every minute, every hour, every day, every week, every year, every decade, and every century. 

Enjoy life while you can.

49 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Once you live a moment, it's lost forever. Eg. This thing I am writing right now will never happen again in the exact way it happened. Life will never be the same, every second, every moment, every minute, every hour, every day, every week, every year, every decade, and every century. 

My wife and I were reflecting on the fact that seven years ago we moved into our current house. And seven years from now our oldest will be moving out on his own. If you blink, you'll miss it.

12 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Sometimes when I used to think about this I used to get chills.

8 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Hey guys, please keep religion out of our friendly forum. As we've learned from experience, there's really no good way for religious topics to end. :)

Some posts have been removed.

"a post has been removed." 

Be specific. :P 

Meanie. :(

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

To what extent does the fact that most people still eat conventionally produced meat prove that those same people will rarely go out of their way to stop suffering if it disadvantages them?

And other things too, I suppose. Not just meat consumption :P

Edited by Earthlinger

Humans are near-perfect hunter-gatherer machines. Nearly all features on our body proves it. We have eyes that can focus really well on objects, the brains to think, along with speech, the bring up and discuss a hunting plan/strategy, we can sweat and cool ourselves while running, so we don't have to take a break to cool down, wich is a great advantage when you don't have the legs to outrun your target, so you instead can chase your target untill they get tired. Oh wait, we don't have fangs and claws? We have steady and strong hands to craft our own perfectly fine!

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Humans are near-perfect hunter-gatherer machines. Nearly all features on our body proves it. We have eyes that can focus really well on objects, the brains to think, along with speech, the bring up and discuss a hunting plan/strategy, we can sweat and cool ourselves while running, so we don't have to take a break to cool down, wich is a great advantage when you don't have the legs to outrun your target, so you instead can chase your target untill they get tired. Oh wait, we don't have fangs and claws? We have steady and strong hands to craft our own perfectly fine!

Bears. For what they are, bears are ridiculously smart. If they had opposable thumbs, we'd be in trouble. Aside from all of the scientific research that points to it, the anecdotal stories from the field are pretty amazing (and amusing) as well. I remember hearing a story from a ranger in Yosemite back in the 1970s. Back in those days, everyone locked their food in their cars to keep it away from the bears. The ranger told me that there was one particular bear who had discovered how to open Volkswagen Beetles. The Beetle, with the windows rolled up and the vents shut, was actually air tight. This bear had discovered that if he stood on top of a Beetle and jumped up and down, eventually the air pressure would make the door pop open and he could get inside and see if there was any food. But, after several aborted attempts, this bear figured out that it only worked on Beetles, he recognized the cars by their shape and would only attempt it on them.

41 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Bears. For what they are, bears are ridiculously smart. If they had opposable thumbs, we'd be in trouble. Aside from all of the scientific research that points to it, the anecdotal stories from the field are pretty amazing (and amusing) as well. I remember hearing a story from a ranger in Yosemite back in the 1970s. Back in those days, everyone locked their food in their cars to keep it away from the bears. The ranger told me that there was one particular bear who had discovered how to open Volkswagen Beetles. The Beetle, with the windows rolled up and the vents shut, was actually air tight. This bear had discovered that if he stood on top of a Beetle and jumped up and down, eventually the air pressure would make the door pop open and he could get inside and see if there was any food. But, after several aborted attempts, this bear figured out that it only worked on Beetles, he recognized the cars by their shape and would only attempt it on them.

Alot of animals are smarter than we think they are. I wouldn't be surprised if my cat got into some bad social interactions wich resulted in rivalry with other cats, considering she seems very hostile to other cats. Im pretty sure a cat-society is going on in our backyards that we just don't know of.

The medieval torture device "the rack", which slowly pulled you apart...

As they slowly tightened the ropes, the victims must have at first felt relief and pleasure, briefly, as their joints were given a good stretch.

Dont you sometimes feel like your spine and shoulders could use a good pulling?

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

As they slowly tightened the ropes, the victims must have at first felt relief and pleasure, briefly, as their joints were given a good stretch.

Dont you sometimes feel like your spine and shoulders could use a good pulling?

There's a reason why physical therapists are known as "physical terrorists". (I should know, I married one.)

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Intuitively they were anticipating tidal effects in a black hole proximity.

So this thought stemmed from the fact that I'd been reading way to much about moon landing deniers, to the point of even finding one that believes no human has even gone to space because we "weigh too much", and the fact I just got home and my wife was listening to NDT talking about AI.

So, if we were to create a vast society of intelligent computers based on human intelligence, there would have to be a portion of, uh, cognitively differently-abled AIs, right?  Ones that didn't believe that they were computers, but humans?

What if that's us?.  We're the moron computer-denying morons that have been locked away in our own server so we don't harm then general computer population with our backwards ways.