Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

The Soviet Union is holding America's beer. Poor quality image but it shows the scale of the two ideas floated back in the 50s and the 60s. Nuclear earthworks included, just how we like 'em.

ComparisonGCNA-NAWAPA1.gif

Given the magnitude of the undertaking, the concern of Canadian conspiracy theorists that the US would conquer them to facilitate this didn't sound too far-fetched.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I hope this isn’t considered political…

MVKHOjL.png

I thought exactly the same when I read about: on KSP, my Kerbals were saved more than once by putting parts between them and whatever is approaching fast (usually the ground), and so that parts get destructed absorbing part of the impact, saving the green critters from pooffing,

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

on KSP, my Kerbals were saved more than once by putting parts between them and whatever is approaching fast (usually the ground), and so that parts get destructed absorbing part of the impact, saving the green critters from pooffing

These parts are most often called "engines" or "Lander Propulsion System".

2 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

These parts are most often called "engines" or "Lander Propulsion System".

That's the interesting part: structural panels are excelent shock protections!

When building things with command seats, I build a "tub" around the pilot using the structural panels - TwealScale helps a lot. My Kerbals survive rate on... "landings"... improved a lot.

I still need to work on the vessel survivability, though... 

20 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I hope this isn’t considered political…

MVKHOjL.png

Before I clocked out of Telegram for my vacation, I caught the earlier reports based on lower-resolution photos, where this was thought to be more deception camo like the one recently introduced on warships. To me, it even looked like the digitized edges of this:

Spoiler

HA6801-1.jpg

ROFL. Granted, one major threat category are attacks with quadcopters and small drones launched just outside the base in 'mainland' Russia. There was a ferocious flame war between the don't-rock-the-boat and the we're-beset-by-idiots camps of Z-Telegram whether covered and reinforced hangars or at least airplane-sized "cope cages" are a worthwhile idea.

Because this seems to be the product of a scream of "DO SOMETHING!!1!" after two shredded Il-76s, two burnt-up Il-76s and a burnt-up Tu-22M within the space of a week.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:01 PM, Lisias said:

Gee!!!

Now I need to build this on KSP!!! The craziest thing able to land on water that I had seen! :) 

bvp-111.gif

3bb111.jpg

http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp111.html

This is just kerbal because an bug loading the model. 
ujSXJOE.png
I say the hinges tended to do this. 

Now this idea makes some sense on an warplane, first its so ugly its stealthy, and few want to look at it for an long time to line up a shot. 
Also simply spiral downward and the enemies will assume your plane is already destroyed and leave you alone. 

Edited by magnemoe

Yesterday I was googling V-1 et.al. and realized that it's not just an cheap, expendable, vulnerable semi-plane semi-missile.

Letting alone its foreign clones (US, SU, Japan), it's a whole Kerbal set of parts for crewed pulsed-jet planes.

https://bunkermuseumantwerpen.be/en/re4/

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/german-luftwaffe-warplanes-1939-1945-fieseler-fi-103-v-1-fzg-76-fi-103r-reichenberg-re-i-ii-iii-iv-v-survivors

Spoiler

Uwe-W-Jack_re4-optim.jpgFi103Re_types-optim-pyckotla8nico75gy7jy

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yesterday I was googling V-1 et.al. and realized that it's not just an cheap, expendable, vulnerable semi-plane semi-missile.

Letting alone its foreign clones (US, SU, Japan), it's a whole Kerbal set of parts for crewed pulsed-jet planes.

Do a google for Lippisch P.13a - a god damned COAL fuelled fighter. And the thing were intended to be unarmed, its goal (by using coal - yeah, bad joke) was to ram the poor bombers in their way.

Can't be more steam punk than that!

scale_1200

"Yours is made of plywood!"

Spoiler

N2kQ2ze7PoU.jpg?size=1024x819&quality=96

From Sweden's 1990s future tank selection process. The one on the left was Sweden's own proposed super-duper tank with both 140 mm and 40 mm cannons. There was one problem, though...

Fisher XP-75 Eagle .

Sell a plane project, go to the warehouse for old sparing parts, slap them together and get a hell of a (weird) plane.

1280px-P75A_Eagle.jpg

To keep design and development of the new system short, the idea presented was to build an aircraft out of proven portions of existing airframes with the entire concoction fitted around the Allison V-3420. Outer wing surfaces were pulled from a P-51 Mustang while the wings themselves were originally slated to resemble the inverted "gull wing" implements as found on the Vought F4U Corsair fighter. The inverted gull wings were dropped from the design and, instead, the wings of a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was used in its place though the undercarriage of the F4U was still selected for use. The empennage was to be made up from the system of a Douglas Dauntless dive bomber.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.php?aircraft_id=420

--- post edit ---

Found this video explaining the development.  Fast forward to the 50% approximately and enjoy the engineers getting screwed ont the SPH! :D

Edited by Lisias
Adding video.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

To keep design and development of the new system short, the idea presented was to build an aircraft out of proven portions of existing airframes with the entire concoction fitted around the Allison V-3420. Outer wing surfaces were pulled from a P-51 Mustang while the wings themselves were originally slated to resemble the inverted "gull wing" implements as found on the Vought F4U Corsair fighter. The inverted gull wings were dropped from the design and, instead, the wings of a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was used in its place though the undercarriage of the F4U was still selected for use. The empennage was to be made up from the system of a Douglas Dauntless dive bomber.

The designer of Su-25, upon transferring to MiG, ran a project for post-apocalyptic variants of the aircraft (I'm being literal). It included uglies such as this:

Grunin_35.jpg

During WWII, the Australians were among the nations that rushed to develop a tank industry ex nihilo, and unlike many, the Australian Cruiser series didn't turn out too bad, just a bit underarmed - and completely overshadowed by industrial powerhouses, relegating it to training use. However, the Aussies keep at it for most of the war, and that included cramming the 17-pounder gun into one of the later ACs.

However, they did not immediately have the 17-pounder on hand, so for recoil testing they created a surrogate using 25-pounder gun-howitzers... plural.

sentinel21-7809ebf31f34195661ac007e78ed2