Mountain Lake Landing Challenge PART II-Underwater exploration

4 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Wow, that is really interesting. I'll make a note up top.

The depth was kind of a bonus anyway, and the challenge of it was squeezing into the small space.  As far as I am  concerned, this gets top marks. I look forward to seeing your entry!

Thanks! It was kinda driving me nuts. I figured I was the odd one out, and had a hunch about the terrain mesh changing with the graphics settings. Turns out I was right.

Yes, can confirm; terrain height can vary quite a bit with terrain quality setting. (I'm assuming because they use less polygons/triangles?)

This can even force easter eggs underground where you will miss them!

I recommend playing on high terrain detail even on a low spec computer, because it can actually change the gameplay, not just the graphics. Looking forward to more pics from your submission @sturmhauke!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

• 3 months later...

This is my take on this second landing.

I flew the plane from the ksc and landed just outside the forbiden area to have a quicksave close to the lake ( it took half a dozen tries or so to get everything right ).

Nothing too special:   flaps, reversed goliaths and a few separatrons for a rocket assisted take off did the trick.   My minisub was able to reach 402 m ( not 403, because it is a bit bulky ).  

4 hours ago, Ozelui said:

This is my take on this second landing.

I flew the plane from the ksc and landed just outside the forbiden area to have a quicksave close to the lake ( it took half a dozen tries or so to get everything right ).

Nothing too special:   flaps, reversed goliaths and a few separatrons for a rocket assisted take off did the trick.   My minisub was able to reach 402 m ( not 403, because it is a bit bulky ).  

You've really got these slow landing planes down.  I also loved the VTOL submarine in the bay! 

I'm glad to hear you liked it, actually the original recovery method for the submarine was an inflatable airlock to grab it and pull, but I wasn't able to make it work, so in the end it was the submarine who had to save the gap.

In the first take off ( that ended in explosions all over the lake :D ) the plane was ALMOST capable of getting out, so I took the cheapest solution with the JATO ;) 

Edited by Ozelui

10 hours ago, Ozelui said:

I'm glad to hear you liked it, actually the original recovery method for the submarine was an inflatable airlock to grab it and pull, but I wasn't able to make it work, so in the end it was the submarine who had to save the gap.

In the first take off ( that ended in explosions all over the lake :D ) the plane was ALMOST capable of getting out, so I took the cheapest solution with the JATO ;) 

Don't forget to grab the awesome badge created by @sturmhauke. Scroll up a bit for it.

• 5 months later...

Craft used for the challenge: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Kalypso

Kaptain Kousteau Kerman and the krew of the Kalypso set out to explore the depths of the Mountain Lake. It is a beautiful afternoon!

O8xZFXn.jpg

It awaits just behind the river bend!

2CmFrQJ.jpg

Commander Jeb Kerman prepares to lower the Kalypso onto the lake's surface.

TaaKhnr.jpg

"Not zat lake Jeb you imbecile! You call zat a lake? Zat is barely a puddle!"

yc00ONX.jpg

"Ze ozzer lake!"

apavUzD.jpg

WIU37Ii.jpg

kzKy4uZ.jpg

"Très bien, here we are, Valentina get into ze Navtilvs and explore."

GxtOpDs.png

"I have reached the deepest point of the lake, Kaptain. The manometer reads -593 metres."

5NcIZBL.png

Carefully, Valentina reverses out of the pit at the bottom of the lake...

8625q4S.png

...and begins her return to the Kalypso.

VJJzW8q.jpg

AVm9Tf6.jpg

yT9hLjB.png

Meanwhile, night has fallen. The Navtilvs is back in her dock, and Jeb takes off for the return trip.

puFS8rb.png

IaHXgpv.png

After a short flight, the Kalypso and her krew are back at the base camp area!

v0P1Jg2.jpg

Kaptain Kousteau Kerman and the Kalypso have completed yet another successful exploration of Kerbin's waters!

n4mgsTk.png

Edited by Guest

The terrain settings/depth thing is really weird, the manometer did read -593 which is nearly 200 m more than the other contestants. I doubt I really found a deeper spot in the lake though...

6 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

The terrain settings/depth thing is really weird, the manometer did read -593 which is nearly 200 m more than the other contestants. I doubt I really found a deeper spot in the lake though...

There is some very weird stuff in that lake.   I once used the Mission Builder to place myself at the bottom and somehow placed myself under the lake in the vast global ocean core.  I was able to putter along from that lake to the next one and then bash my way through back to the surface.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.