[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I noticed something with this mod just a bit ago, and I want to stress, I usually don't use this mod, I prefer Mech-jeb, but as this updated first I gave this a go to get my basic flight info, so it could very well be my unfamiliarity with the mod causing my 'issue'

The TWR seems to be off a bit. I built a craft in the vab, and Engineer showed I had a positive thrust to weight ratio of 1.22. when I launched, my craft did not have enough thrust to get off the pad, until I'd burned about a third of my SRB fuel, and then it lifted very slowly.

Again, I may just be at fault here, but I wanted to report it, just in case it was a legit issue, so someone else could look at it.

I noticed something with this mod just a bit ago, and I want to stress, I usually don't use this mod, I prefer Mech-jeb, but as this updated first I gave this a go to get my basic flight info, so it could very well be my unfamiliarity with the mod causing my 'issue'

The TWR seems to be off a bit. I built a craft in the vab, and Engineer showed I had a positive thrust to weight ratio of 1.22. when I launched, my craft did not have enough thrust to get off the pad, until I'd burned about a third of my SRB fuel, and then it lifted very slowly.

Again, I may just be at fault here, but I wanted to report it, just in case it was a legit issue, so someone else could look at it.

The mod defaults to vacuum TWR. Click on atmospheric in the KER window in the VAB to see the TWR for your vessel at launch

So I seem to have found some sort of bug. I've been using your mod for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen this, and I've isolated it to this mod since this is the only mod I have installed and the problem is not reproducible when the mod is removed.

When a ship is in flight, the game seems to freeze every second or so for a small fraction of a second, as if there is a brief CPU overload and the game is trying to catch up. The problem is exacerbated when in physics time warp, both when in the atmosphere and in space. At 4x speed, the game plays out at real time speeds due to the constant lag.

This problem is reproducible on my computer and happens shortly after the launch of any spacecraft and then persists once I return to the space center or enter the VAB. I even isolated this to a CPU issue by playing the game with minimum graphical load (1/8 texture resolution, 0x anti-aliasing, etc.). As you can see from my computer specs below, it should be more than capable of running the game at the lowest settings and has run previous game versions (pre-1.0) smoothly at max graphical settings.

Computer Specs:

Windows 7

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.2 GHz

16GB DDR3 1866Hz

GTX 770

Is there anything I'm forgetting to do in setting up your mod? Is there anything you need from me? I've searched online and only found a forum post from about a year ago with someone having the same problem on a mac. Again, your mod has worked flawlessly in the past and has just now begun to act up with the most recent update.

Lastly, thanks for pushing the update so quickly!

Icon is now present. Works in the VAB but not during flight.

Anyone else?

Yes, this same thing is happening with me. It would seem that the flight engineer part only is working in sandbox (maybe science) mode and not career. The icon is there but it is greyed out and unusable. Thank you for the quick update on this, one of the best addons I have ever used.

Figured it out. If you are having this issue, there is a setting when you are in the VAB/SPH for "career limitations". Uncheck what you want and it unlocks the flight engineer

Edited by BigCityTV

(1.0) Physicsless parts now add their mass to the parent part; this affects delta-v and thrust-to-weight. (One can build a rig that fires two identical SRBs side by side to prove this.) KER still doesn't account for that.

Edited by Spheniscine

(1.0) Physicsless parts now add their mass to the parent part; this affects delta-v and thrust-to-weight. (One can build a rig that fires two identical SRBs side by side to prove this.) KER still doesn't account for that.

This by the way is exactly what I've wanted physicsless parts to do since they became a thing.

It's awesome that this essential mod was updated so quickly! :)

Have you ever considered adding equivalent airspeed and mach number to the display options? In the new stock aero, these values will be useful to people flying all kinds of contraptions in the atmosphere. They're no longer useful exclusively to FAR users.

By the way, it also affects the CoM (if their parent is off-center). Unfortunately neither the stock editor CoM nor the KER flight engineer (thrust offset/thrust torque) display the effect.

Ah, I forgot that one in this code.

Edit : My earlier solution included the ressource mass.

you need to use part.GetPhysicslessChildMass() to get the physicless child part mass.

Edited by sarbian

So I seem to have found some sort of bug. I've been using your mod for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen this, and I've isolated it to this mod since this is the only mod I have installed and the problem is not reproducible when the mod is removed.

When a ship is in flight, the game seems to freeze every second or so for a small fraction of a second, as if there is a brief CPU overload and the game is trying to catch up. The problem is exacerbated when in physics time warp, both when in the atmosphere and in space. At 4x speed, the game plays out at real time speeds due to the constant lag.

This problem is reproducible on my computer and happens shortly after the launch of any spacecraft and then persists once I return to the space center or enter the VAB. I even isolated this to a CPU issue by playing the game with minimum graphical load (1/8 texture resolution, 0x anti-aliasing, etc.). As you can see from my computer specs below, it should be more than capable of running the game at the lowest settings and has run previous game versions (pre-1.0) smoothly at max graphical settings.

Computer Specs:

Windows 7

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.2 GHz

16GB DDR3 1866Hz

GTX 770

Is there anything I'm forgetting to do in setting up your mod? Is there anything you need from me? I've searched online and only found a forum post from about a year ago with someone having the same problem on a mac. Again, your mod has worked flawlessly in the past and has just now begun to act up with the most recent update.

Lastly, thanks for pushing the update so quickly!

i noticed this a few times yesterday myself. i didnt track it down to any mod yet though.

it reminded me of the old skyrim autosave bloat problem

Ah, I forgot that one in this code.

You need to use the rigidbody mass since that one will include the added mass from the child physic less part.

Is there some way to get down to the file without super-professional tools?

Yep, symbol is blacked out during flight.

Thanks for starting so fast with the updates btw!

edit: Nvm, it works in sandbox mode. Is it locked to technodes?

same here. also, am unable to edit or move the hud1 hud2 from default placement
Icon is now present. Works in the VAB but not during flight.

Anyone else?

Try the latest version. It works for me.

In career mode it always works in the VAB even if you don't have the KER parts on your vessel, but once you launch you need either an engineer on board or one of the KER parts onboard. If not, the icon is greyed out and you'll get no info. You have to unlock the parts first. They're in the very first tech node. It also works everywhere once you reach a level 3 tracking station. In sandbox mode all buildings are automatically level 3 so it works no matter what.

Run into an issue with installing the mod on 1.0 the flight engineer parts are available in the VAB/SPH but the toolbar does not show up at all in career or sandbox, i assume ive made a simple mistake with the install but cant seem to figure out what, help?

EDIT: guess it was just a bad install of 1.0, redownload/install with new zip program and plugin works

Edited by oldgreg92

Run into an issue with installing the mod on 1.0 the flight engineer parts are available in the VAB/SPH but the toolbar does not show up at all in career or sandbox, i assume ive made a simple mistake with the install but cant seem to figure out what, help?

I have this exact same issue. Just installed Mechjeb, and I have the same with that as well. Have the part, looks fine, but no toolbar/menu/option that I can find.

Anybody know what this could be?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.