Make flags readable without a Kerbal nearby(and other flag peeves).

Okay, so a couple days ago, I wanted a screenshot of a flag I had planted on a mission at the landing site, for my fanfic. I had forgotten to take a picture of its plaque when I planted it, and I wanted to go back to get a picture of the plaque. No problem, right? I went to the Tracking Station, and "flew" the flag. I right clicked on it. There was only Focus and Reset camera (if I remember correctly), no Read plaque option! It turns out that to read the plaque, I would have to send a Kerbal halfway around the world! I think that @SQUAD  should add command module functionality to flags so that we can read them without Kerbs around. Another suggestion: make flags editable. I made a few typos in my memorial flags, and now I can't fix them. Yes, yes, I should have looked it over, but my computer was running slow, and I'm impatient. Either way, making flags editable would be a good idea.

7 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

should add command module functionality to flags so that we can read them without Kerbs around.

While it's really no skin off my back, I don't think they should at all.   I guess it's one of the cool things in the game, that you have to get a kerbal close enough to it to read it.

now I can't fix them.

Check your persistence file, you should be able to find it and edit it there.  Make a backup first. 

I would have to send a Kerbal halfway around the world! I think that @SQUAD  should add command module functionality to flags so that we can read them without Kerbs around.

On a side note, you can "cheat" your way to the flag. It' what I do to setup a Scenario when something goes wrong on the shooting (a constant) and I need to redo the thing, but forgot to hit the QuickSave button (another constant).

Also, I would love to be able to plant multiple, different flags in the same mission.
It would also be awesome if I could plant flags on my vessels and carry them around like a parade vehicle...

On 9/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, kerbalstar said:

should add command module functionality to flags

So we could literally redefine "flying" our flags? LOL sounds kerbal enough to me!:D

1 minute ago, Dark Lion said:

Also, I would love to be able to plant multiple, different flags in the same mission.
It would also be awesome if I could plant flags on my vessels and carry them around like a parade vehicle...

So we could literally redefine "flying" our flags? LOL sounds kerbal enough to me!:D

Oh right, I was going to say that Kerbals should be able to carry multiple flags, at the penalty of increasing their mass. During a flag planting ceremony for dead Kerbals (coming in Chapter 4 of my story) it doesn't feel particularly ceremonious to have another Kerbal have to run out there to plant the other flag. It would be cool if you could put them on your vehicle! :D

19 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Oh right, I was going to say that Kerbals should be able to carry multiple flags, at the penalty of increasing their mass. During a flag planting ceremony for dead Kerbals (coming in Chapter 4 of my story) it doesn't feel particularly ceremonious to have another Kerbal have to run out there to plant the other flag. It would be cool if you could put them on your vehicle! :D

Try save file editing. Go there and put as much flags as you need on your kerbal.

As they say though, make a backup. I haven't tried this before and I don't know if it'll work.

5 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Try save file editing. Go there and put as much flags as you need on your kerbal.

As they say though, make a backup. I haven't tried this before and I don't know if it'll work.

I know, but I would like a stock solution, or at least one that doesn’t risk breaking my save. Thanks though!

On 9/28/2018 at 2:06 AM, kerbalstar said:

I thought you could go back to your pod and get another flag?

I may be entirely wrong about this as I've never actually done it.

I just remember hearing you could?

6 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I thought you could go back to your pod and get another flag?

I may be entirely wrong about this as I've never actually done it.

I just remember hearing you could?

Yes you can. The pod was in the Admin building pool a good distance.away. It was easier to take the other Kerbal over. That said, running back doesn't feel very ceremonious. I meant that you should be able to take multiple flags upon exiting your command module.

33 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

I meant that you should be able to take multiple flags upon exiting your command module.

Ehhhhh.... I dunno....  Sorta strikes me as unrealistic... but we are talking about a game about little green men, so....   I think this would be completely acceptable as a mod, but probably not a stock feature. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Ehhhhh.... I dunno....  Sorta strikes me as unrealistic... but we are talking about a game about little green men, so....   I think this would be completely acceptable as a mod, but probably not a stock feature. 

How do you think taking multiple flags is unrealistic, as long as it increases the Kerbals mass? Just curious, as the flags seem pretty small and easy to stow.

1 minute ago, kerbalstar said:

How do you think taking multiple flags is unrealistic, as long as it increases the Kerbals mass? Just curious, as the flags seem pretty small and easy to stow.

I'm thinking from a historic point of view, they only ever carried one flag I believe. 

Now the mechanism to do exactly what you want is sorta already in the KIS mod, I don't know if there is a flag object available, but if I were to do this, I would want to physically move all 9 or so flags to the kerbal, and then have it take from that inventory.

But I can imagine a lot of good uses for this, like setting up race courses around the KSC

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I'm thinking from a historic point of view, they only ever carried one flag I believe. 

Now the mechanism to do exactly what you want is sorta already in the KIS mod, I don't know if there is a flag object available, but if I were to do this, I would want to physically move all 9 or so flags to the kerbal, and then have it take from that inventory.

But I can imagine a lot of good uses for this, like setting up race courses around the KSC

Fair point, you're right.

Good idea, thanks.

That's a good idea!

18 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

I would like a stock solution, or at least one that doesn’t risk breaking my save.

Plant a big bunch of flags, then collect them all with one kerbal. Boom, you have a kerbal that has tons of flags.

(I haven't tried this as well. So don't blame me ;))

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

40 minutes ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Plant a big bunch of flags, then collect them all with one kerbal. Boom, you have a kerbal that has tons of flags.

(I haven't tried this as well. So don't blame me ;))

Fair point, but I would still have to get multiple Kerbs or trips to get those flags. Good idea for sometimes though.

I understand where you guys are coming from with having a bunch of the same flag, but that wasn't really what I meant. I was thinking of the ability to take different-looking flags on a mission, as opposed to a single flag, or many of the same flag. The flag-bearer kerbal could find this advantageous, I'm sure @kerbalstar, as then you could have a special "monument" for each lost kerbal, if you preferred. 

Me, I'd just want different flags for one mission so I'd have an excuse to create a flag-bearer of my own. That kerbal would have a different flag for every planet it touched. Or maybe just for launching multiple vehicles in constellation which could re-designate their flags based on their obejctives. Just thinking out loud there.

Edited by Dark Lion

7 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

I understand where you guys are coming from with having a bunch of the same flag, but that wasn't really what I meant. I was thinking of the ability to take different-looking flags on a mission, as opposed to a single flag, or many of the same flag. The flag-bearer kerbal could find this advantageous, I'm sure @kerbalstar, as then you could have a special "monument" for each lost kerbal, if you preferred. 

Me, I'd just want different flags for one mission so I'd have an excuse to create a flag-bearer of my own. That kerbal would have a different flag for every planet it touched. Or maybe just for launching multiple vehicles in constellation which could re-designate their flags based on their obejctives. Just thinking out loud there.

Good idea on the different flag per Kerbanaut there @Dark Lion!

I like that idea too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.