RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

4 hours ago, Ker Ball One said:

Is the X-Plane Research program still worth doing early career?

I've read older Reddit comments from past years saying that it can be very good to gain funds, because you can quickly reuse the same plane to redo the same optional contracts, by safely landing, so no need to reintegrate.

But wasn't RP-1 rebalanced so that contracts don't pay out funding directly.  But rather you only get payments from the active program.  Which this one, pays smaller amounts but over the span of 14 years. 

Considering that's this program takes two program slots, there should be more lucrative programs to gain funding, making this kind of a waste for early career.

From what I gather, the reputation gained for each optional contract is still pretty small and that increase in program subsidy still isn't worth it.

Also, with so many tech tree nodes costing science in order to complete it's 6 contracts, and limited science to be gained at the lower altitudes, I'm not sure science would justify it either.

Am I missing something?  What is the primary benefit of the x plane research program in early career?

I needed it at the beginning to get ahead, I remember, because I didn't really want to do it. But then Mach 2 airplane was fun, it wasn't easy.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TomKerbal said:

I needed it at the beginning to get ahead, I remember, because I didn't really want to do it. But then Mach 2 airplane was fun, it wasn't easy.

Ahead in what way?  Funds, Reputation, Confidence, Science?

The reputation-subsidy relationship is new and nebulous.  The wiki mentions it plateaus over time.  But I'd like hard numbers (a chart), because on it's face, it seems like it's not worth it.

Edited by Ker Ball One

Posted (edited)

Yes. I think so.  No way around to avoid it, I remember.

Btw: Who needs KSP2 ?  :

Who-needs-KSP2.png

Mars Lander of my current version 63, about 1000 hours of work for the hole mission now...)

Edited by TomKerbal

Hey, I'm looking at adding some engines to the RP-1 tech tree- (Piston engines made during the 1930s-50s) They're currently non-rp-0 parts. How do I go about adding them to the mod and tech tree?

I would like to fly early science aircraft using props.... Given that the current state of RP-1 removes all props.... Are there any instructions outside of the Wiki (Wiki doesn't work) outside of it that?

4 hours ago, Fizwalker said:

Hey, I'm looking at adding some engines to the RP-1 tech tree- (Piston engines made during the 1930s-50s) They're currently non-rp-0 parts. How do I go about adding them to the mod and tech tree?

I would like to fly early science aircraft using props.... Given that the current state of RP-1 removes all props.... Are there any instructions outside of the Wiki (Wiki doesn't work) outside of it that?

Current RP-1 has zero science below 40 km (except for hypersonic flight, which good luck hitting that with a prop) so why?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Current RP-1 has zero science below 40 km (except for hypersonic flight, which good luck hitting that with a prop) so why?

I find it fun and challenging to build aircraft. I'm also using Kerbalism and using props makes sense for some of the tasks it provides. Lastly, it fits with the type of play I am  running through-- that of the Cold War. I am currently playing as the USAF. Having a B-29 or other craft available lets me fly the air launch side of things too.

I've always thought that this was an awesome time to be a part of and there could have been many ways to get to the Mercury program and beyond. Having the options to use props adds to my experience. I'm not trying to get them added to the basic RP-1 tech tree because I know it's not for everyone.... But I would like to get some help in modifying my own install. Again, I find this era fascinating and I want to add to the experience. 

Edited for clarity

Edited by Fizwalker

Posted (edited)

KCT allows me to simulate parts that are still being researched.  But not configure capsule crew experiments or processes, if they are still being researched.

Is there a way to perform simulated test flights with technology still being researched?

Edited by Ker Ball One

Fueling the Earth Drive in Earth orbit now(first of 3 tankers). AMADEUS (2nd Mars mission, version 65) is the name of mission & ship. Something with Mars and Destiny... I have to figure out yet....

Mission start is planed for 4.7.1988 (1988-07-04). Now it is 1987-01-18 .

AMADEUS-Erth-Drive-Fueling.jpg

A test crew has already entered the ship and made some tests (mission training for AdvApollo & Gemini-L is required for that, I found out :-D; good to know for the final crew).

TestCrew.jpg

On 6/3/2024 at 5:11 PM, Ker Ball One said:

The reputation-subsidy relationship is new and nebulous.  The wiki mentions it plateaus over time.  But I'd like hard numbers (a chart), because on it's face, it seems like it's not worth it.

Apparently if you are in the SpaceCenter scene, you get a LOT of info by hovering over your Reputation.  Including things like current Subsidy based on Reputation and the maximum Rep you can get until the subsidy is capped.  That's the relationship I was missing.  I don't see the wiki documenting that.

Also, although hovering over your Science gives your Total Science earned, hovering over Confidence doesn't (but maybe should), show the current Confidence-to-Science ratio.  I was able to find that info in the wiki, but it'd be nice for the hover info to tell you how close you are to the threshold that will lower your ratio. 

0-150 = 4:1,    >150-600 = 3:1,    >600-3100 = 2:1,    >3100 = 1:1

Next question that seems undocumented, is the DrawYearBasedMult function which changes your research rate based on (your current year)?  I would like to know how this works and how to optimize my space program research.  Apparently, researching later nodes too soon comes with a penalty.  I love the realism, because it ensures you don't get too advanced in tech much sooner than they real world history.

Edited by Ker Ball One