The little lander challenge: Complete

This challenge has not became a big challenge (though I hope it does). But thank you for the advice, the rules have been updated.

Due to how inconvenient it was, there is no time limit for this mission :D

Edited by Guest

Here I got my boy the micron SB on the launchpad.

6-5-2020-10-24-24-AM-0wppl3zp.png

And here it is inserting itself into a munar orbit.

6-5-2020-10-22-33-AM-4n4gpdgt.png

That's pretty noice. Noicer than kerbin falling below the horizon

6-5-2020-10-22-47-AM-ti4mvnft.png

O wait, what is that, the anomally I was searching for?

6-5-2020-10-21-53-AM-xfmcocwe.png

Very much yes.

6-5-2020-10-21-35-AM-ocvf2uke.png

6-5-2020-10-21-23-AM-20ulsg2b.png

though this specific spot is too steep for this lander, me is gonna move 4 inches closer.

6-5-2020-10-21-11-AM-aykpefkz.png

Now hopefully this lander can stay vertical when the sun goes down.

6-5-2020-10-20-58-AM-aqecvu4g.png

6-5-2020-10-18-22-AM-h1l3umru.png

Nice.

Edited by Dirkidirk

Hey I noticed that you submitted something @Dirkidirk. I have a few questions

1. Where you able to preform the science and transfer the data back to kerbin

2. Where you able to hop to two biomes or easter egg (I noticed that you got to the easter egg but you have to land on top of it.)

3. Do you have more info on craft cost, part count, etc.

I would also need images of the following three questions. This only makes it possible to score 100%. 

Great submission.

To anyone that is working on the Round 2 submissions I have an update. Flagship mission patches will be redesigned and no longer will it be the background of your color but the destination. I am also going to vectorize your lander and put it in the patch. That is only for Flagship level though. Would anyone like to see an example of flagship level? I can put up KSP and show you...

Edited by Guest

On 6/5/2020 at 11:14 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

1. Where you able to preform the science and transfer the data back to kerbin

While I was able to do science, I wasn't able to transmit it due to the fact that past me didn't realize that the 5 charge stored by the probe core wasn't enough to transmit the science, until I was on the saucer clicking transmit.

Which means that I'm going to fly AGAIN.

6-8-2020-11-59-20-AM-z1ccpofg.png

6-7-2020-8-33-19-PM-2ttplria.png

If you look very closely at the bottom of the screenshot, you might be able to see the monolith.

6-7-2020-8-32-50-PM-v5xqbwue.png

6-7-2020-8-32-22-PM-5tgv23wt.png

The monolith is now clearly visible.

6-8-2020-11-58-24-AM-mlgzml4b.png

Nice

6-7-2020-8-31-56-PM-ubulkbhg.png

Nicer...

6-7-2020-8-31-26-PM-tdvvblf1.png

6-7-2020-8-31-16-PM-cbrszsda.png

Where you able to hop to two biomes.

Yes

6-7-2020-8-30-46-PM-4355s4du.png

6-7-2020-8-30-28-PM-oeqd5oj4.png

6-7-2020-8-30-00-PM-plppw1xm.png

craft cost, part count, etc.

It costs 25700, has 41 parts, and weighs 1.200 tons.

6-8-2020-4-58-24-PM-zynpqfks.png

Also, I just realized that this thing is flown by hal

6-7-2020-8-29-49-PM-3kqnm0mo.png

Nice.

Edited by Dirkidirk

@Dirkidirk You can set your antenna to partial transmission. That way you can transmit data even when you don't have enough batteries. You only need a power generation surplus. Time warp if the power generation is slow.

My submission for round 2 is the Sarnus Explorer:

It landed on the following moons of Sarnus from the outer planets mod: Hale, Ovok, Eeloo (at its new location) and Tekto. It has two science parts: Thermometer and Barometer. The highest scoring location is Tekto with an orbital speed of 707m/s and an atmosphere height of 95,000 km.

Destination scoring: distance: 40 points, size: 20 points, atmosphere: 30 points, total 90 points.

Size:  small: 15 points

Cost: 49,994 funds

Lander type: No biome bonus, because all visited moons are below 790m/s.

Engine and probe core does not touch ground, no landing stage, single stage for all landings. Aesthetic lander (I would think so. I used real landing legs instead of cubic struts for aesthetic reasons). Goes on multiple celestial bodies.

Does this entry qualify for flagship class?

gST6x7m.jpgisqh1vc.jpgqY42GYp.jpgANDtAJD.jpgOxI3Ftj.jpgT15NcM2.jpg

Mission report: https://imgur.com/gallery/g4qQF7Z

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/EveMaster/Sarnus-Explorer

6 hours ago, GRS said:

Pretty sure it will...the target i set is way too hard that i don't think i can get Flagship class...

I still think I will make it an honary Flagship class because of how hard a place you chose. But your's might outscore everyone anyway even with no flagship class entry.

365, and it is a flagship class level entry congrats. I will DM you the patch you get @EveMaster

EDIT: I will probably show everyone it to see what a flagship patch looks like!

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

365, and it is a flagship class level entry congrats. I will DM you the patch you get @EveMaster

Thank you very much for this patch. I included it in my sigature.

Could you explain the following parts of my score please? How did you get a destination score of 160 for my submission? What about the 10 points for flew to Moon and Biome hop? I visited 4 moons. I could not undestand my scoring when looking at rules in the opening post.

For future rounds, I suggest to be as precise as possible. For example: Is a specific bonus once per submission or once per landed body. Which bonuses can be combined? Is decoupling or staging allowed when landed, on the surface, on a suborbital trajectory during ascent or descent?

1 hour ago, EveMaster said:

Thank you very much for this patch. I included it in my sigature.

Could you explain the following parts of my score please?

I think something what scored wrong in submission. I will check...

Final score @EveMaster is 305 points. The Biome hop good and Flew to moon are my basic point way of saying that the mission was 100% complete.

Spoiler

1. Destination

You got 90 points for destination. Of which was broken up into this

Tekto was 20 points and it's atmosphere was above 70,000 meters so that's another 30 points

In the system you where in it was far enough to have 40 points.

2. Size

That was fine since it was small. so 15 points there

3. Cost

You had no penalties on cost

4. Lander Type

You got 90 points from your lander

5. Flagship level

you passed flagship level so you got the badge and 80 points.

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Final score @EveMaster is 305 points. The Biome hop good and Flew to moon are my basic point way of saying that the mission was 100% complete.

Your spreadsheet and my calculation says a total of 295. I'm so fair to notify you, even if that means I get less points.

Another suggestion for future rounds: In my opinion it would make the scoring easier when leaving out points for parts that are essential for the mission and are the same for every submission such as reaching orbit in round 1 or landing on a moon in round 2.

53 minutes ago, EveMaster said:

Your spreadsheet and my calculation says a total of 295. I'm so fair to notify you, even if that means I get less points.

Another suggestion for future rounds: In my opinion it would make the scoring easier when leaving out points for parts that are essential for the mission and are the same for every submission such as reaching orbit in round 1 or landing on a moon in round 2.

Oh shoot it was 295! Really sorry everyone, I am not doing this on purpose.

2 hours ago, EveMaster said:

Yeah it will probably not be part of scoring in round 3 for that reason

16 minutes ago, GRS said:

Thanks @The Doodling Astronaut

That thing really eats a massive amount of Delta V...so, i'll spend time on it...what i probably can't get is the multi-world landing

Well your submission will probably be the most difficult. And for that reason I might make it a selected flagship class for the difficulty of your destination.

3 hours ago, AHHans said:

Hmmm... Are there any destinations in the stock game that are worth 90 points?

You bring up a pretty good point! Wait a minute....

Edited by Guest

Flagship class has been tweaked for people who want to get it but don't have mods or have a really hard destination that might not really work with Lander design. NOTE this is no ways at all to make Flagship class easier, the other two ways are about just as hard. This allows people to be able to flagship class in their own way. Take note to this @GRS, @AHHans, or anyone else who tries to do Flagship Class:

"I have recently got a lot of questions about what flagship class is and what's the bare minimum for it. I have tweaked a little about it and here is the three ways to get Flagship Level:

1. Lander Type

As done before you can complete all the lander type bonuses that are required. The largest destination is what is used for destination scoring points. This type of flagship class get's you the patch and a 80 point bonus.

2. Destination difficulty

Some destinations in mod packs are extremely hard to do, to complete this flagship level, you must be able to do four out of the 6 Lander Type bonuses. This Flagship class is then Judged by me to accept if the destination itself is a difficult place to go to. If it is, then it earns flagship class and get's you a patch but a 40 point bonus

3. Grand Tour

Some destinations offer multiple places to go to. This last way to do this might be the easiest way to get flagship class for anyone who plays stock. In this way, you must select a gas giant. This gas giant must have at least three moons with one at least have moderate size. You must be able to land on the gas giant, it's moons. And collect science from each destination. Doing so get's the patch and a 90 point bonus. You may use two separate landers one for the gas giant and one for the moons if you so need to."

Some more requests for clarification:

• What are valid destinations? Only the moons of planets (i.e. Gilly, Mun, Minmus, Ike, Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, and Pol), or also the planets themselves?
    • If planets are also valid destinations, are the following destination points correct?
      • Moho: 50 (distance) + 20 (size) = 70
      • Eve: 20 (distance) + 40 (size) + 30 (atmosphere) = 90
      • Duna: 20 (distance) + 20 (size) + 20 (atmosphere) = 60
      • Dres: 20 (distance) + 10 (size) = 30
      • Jool: 20 (distance) + 40 (size) + 50 (atmosphere) = 110
      • Eeloo: 40 (distance) + 10 (size) = 50
    • If it's only moons, then Laythe is the highest scoring, correct? (With: 20 (distance) + 20 (size) + 20 (atmosphere) = 60.) Well, tied with Tylo.
  • The "Be able to get to moon orbit to moon surface using one stage" requirement is not about the final, high value destination but about one of (or all???) destination(s) before that, correct?
    • That would mean that going to Gilly and then to Eve would be fine?
      What about if one would visit all biomes on Gilly and Eve?:cool:
  • Is is O.K. to play with CommNet disabled? I.e. having full control even if no connection to the KSC exists? (To transmit the science I would need that connection, but then I'm usually not moving through an atmosphere or be in the shadow of a planet.)
  • If I see that correctly then the "Grand Tour" translates for the stock system to: "land on Bop, Pol, and Vall and then on Jool with either the same or a second lander"
    (Well, yes, you don't have to do it that way, but that seems the easiest way to me.)
    • What about landing in different planetary systems? E.g. on Minmus, Ike, Gilly, and Eve?

[Edit:] P.S. Kudos to anyone who can already predict what kind of lander I made just from my questions.;)

Edited by AHHans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.