[We need more posts! (Like seriously, a lot more)] Let's Make This the Megathread!

Misguided Kerbal

2 hours ago, Ollz said:

Moar Posts!

MOAR POST coming!

More aerospike pics

O3EHVd0.png

Tweaked surface imperfections, added seam, added segmentation to nozzle (supposed to represent internal piping for regenerative cooling)

Also the bigger holes on the top endcap are supposed to be fuel and oxidizer feeds, so I added tiny markings to show which is which (orange for fuel, cryo blue for oxidizer)

nHrJWcE.png

Now with glow (tweaked the emissive to be slightly more than a simple gradient)

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes, 63 posts is not very much.

Well I Did only get KSP in September as I only got into space Last May, and I Only made my Forum Account a Few months Ago

6 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

More aerospike pics

They Look Absolutely Amazing!

What mod is that, I have been looking for good Aerospike mods?

9 minutes ago, Ollz said:

What mod is that, I have been looking for good Aerospike mods?

Not a mod yet, and it's a retexture of the ingame aerospike to fit Porkjet plane parts and Restock stuff better

And now for something completely different,

Guess what this is:

tiqwCjN.png

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

A complaint about Porkjet's aerospike model

2 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

aerospike

5QElFKM.png

Definitely needs some tweaks to explain the massive amount the model clips into its parent part for some reason (why make it as tall as it is if most of it is sheet metal jammed up inside the tank? I am now fully convinced the aerospike needs a full remodel, not just a retexture. It needs more bulk in the casing and less nozzle since almost every real large-scale aerospike is significantly truncated and not actually pointy like that.

Example:

IMG_2075.jpg?w=1430&ssl=1

Aerospike-Timeline.00_28_32_29.Still140.

Look at the massive blunt end!

Aerospike-Timeline.00_49_50_22.Still148.

Even this tiny one is more truncated than the KSP version

Sorry for the non-humorous post, I know it's a forum game but I just had to.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

I've only been playing since April 2020, but I have a copy of 0.13.2 that I sometimes play for reasons unknown

bsb8eU1.png

JOVDZkt.png

Orbit is the furthest I have gotten, because I absolutely dread the thought of going to the Mun without maneuver nodes

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

tiqwCjN.png

Unlike the original, this one is 1.875m wide so it can conceivably fit 2 kerbals unlike the old Mk1 which magically fit 3, and the current Mk1 which only fits 1. I have named it the Mk0-7 (0-7 from 0.7.3), suggestions for better names are welcome.

@Spaceman.Spiff

I know. The J-2T is also a toroidal aerospike. It's also the only large toroidal aerospike that I know of, so I thought maybe the T-1 in KSP should have been based on that instead of the Aerobee-size tiny thing you showed me. I have seen that picture many times. Basically all aerospikes intended to fly, linear or toroidal, like the RS-2200 and J-2T and that Firefly model earlier, are all truncated.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
punctuation

@Spaceman.Spiff

I know. The J-2T is also a toroidal aerospike. It's also the only large toroidal aerospike that I know of, so I thought maybe the T-1 in KSP should have been based on that instead of the Aerobee-size tiny thing you showed me. I have seen that picture many times. Basically all aerospikes intended to fly, linear or toroidal, like the RS-2200 and J-2T and that Firefly model earlier, are all truncated.

IMO the truncated design wouldn't look very good at that size.

I think that SQUAD went with that design because it was a small aerospike, and it looks quite cool. 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

slinter

what is that

Also, 

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

tomorrow

Turns out I got the exterior modeling mostly-done a lot faster, the thing with aerospikes is that they are inside out with the mess of wires and tubes wrapped up neatly inside the cone rather than outside.

Pl0IiLg.png

T-1 is the stock aerospike.

Maybe I should start my own dev thread...

Edited by OrdinaryKerman