[Completed] JNSQ Space Race 2: Two Race, Two Space

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: End of Day One!

WrdBgRz.png

This is the end of Day 1 in more ways than one- it's the end of Day 1 of AAARG's space program and also the end of Day 1 of August 2020. A fairly simple update to mop up the day's events.

The re-entry test rocket performed its course correction, followed by burning the remaining fuel to accelerate to a fantastic speed (over 5600m/s) prior to dropping the booster and inflating the heat shield. Re-entry went without a hitch with the probe sustaining 14g for several seconds continuously. Both drogue chutes deployed without any issues and likewise the main chute opened perfectly- a completely successful mission!

The two remaining comms relays were also deployed into their keostationary orbits before the deployment vessel was sent plunging into Kerbin's atmosphere where it would burn up without posing a danger to anyone on the ground. Probably.

Spoiler

jorTKMe.png

OVLZxt3.pngXUj9HEI.png

xjL5r29.png

3 satellite comms network, deployed. One more item checked off the list, now all we need to do is wait for a few days until the Mun missions start arriving. The Board are almost catatonic at the thought of having zero launches for several days in a row, but we're currently distracting them with Terrin Space Program, recommended to us by space fan and aspiring Kerbonaut, Martina 'Tina' Kerman. (shameless plug of my fanfic, see my signature below for the link :wink:)

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/phbb8L6

AAARG's space program has been running for 1 day, 9 hours and 4 minutes. The 3 relays are now in position, so we currently have two crewed Mun missions, two crewed Minmus missions, a space station with 3 crew aboard, a Mun probe and a Minmus probe on the active missions list. Phase 2 is proceeding according to plan and will be wrapped up in the near future; designs for interplanetary probes are already being created, watch this space!

Kerman States: NOOOOO! MY DOCKING! NOOOOOOOO!

JEx46YC.png

After the Kerman States launched its first few missions, they were ready for a docking. So, even as Wernher Von Kerman claimed that "It isn't possible", and Mortimer Kerman exclaimed "NOOOOO! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BUDGET? 2 LAUNCHES? AAAARRRRGGGHHH", Valentina and Bob Kerman boarded Pioneer 2.

Spoiler

1Iddgi2.png

DiIQ3fZ.png

BKW3imO.png

lTnMeRM.png

urEj2RF.png

NQ8SJYD.png

mTrW3Qz.png

DBd4sxq.png

Pioneer 2 performed a nominal orbit insertion, however, some engineers thought the Delta-v margin was a bit too close. So, within short notice, the engineers tacked on 2 BACC SRBs to Pioneer 3. One engineer claimed that it was "In-house Mortimer repellent". 

Shortly after, Jean and Bobwig Kerman boarded Pioneer 3.

Spoiler

QL9ydN3.png

5Y6Pzxc.png

MuOYaIO.png

5druLOu.png

5DE5Iwa.png

JRxD5TS.png

wuiMfWS.png

qho495c.png

wdwkKDh.png

Co7jRMg.png

W9kPPfk.png

Pioneer 2 then proceeded to dock with Pioneer 3. However, just as they docked, the kraken attacked some sort of space-time warping occured, resulting in this:

U56qYIi.png

Both the crews of Pioneer 2 and Pioneer 3 died, but we did complete the docking milestone. "NOOOOOO!!!", exclaimed both Mortimer and Walt Kerman. "I told you so, but you don't listen", said Wernher.

Currently, the game is at 13 hours. :( I'm losing

Imgur Album (Beware, they are all out of order!):

Pioneer 2 and Pioneer 3

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

Breaking News, our former CEO, Khris Kerman, has died in a crash involving one of our prototypes of the SERV. The only picture we are willing to share for now is this one:

_QgyEQ91wH1hP7N9PBXG8_Ap7cuWlBk4EzmXPsYw

We already have a new CEO, Geoff Kerman, his brother. And he's a hippie, so now K.H.R.I.S.S.E.R will become TI, Tree Industries.

BzVmA-_ld_NZN303iy2dsDlsyhuF0oFItoQVn7yM

All rockets will now be at least 2 stages, and named after a part of the tree.

Spoiler

SERV didn't work, couldn't get enough dV, without burning out RAM.

So now, the second launch for TI, with the Twig 1, launching Rock 1 to equatorial orbit.

zuZ5g_Mra0X8160WTIp1wDWVwvR7mySQfsadQY2T

Spoiler

Twig 1 on the launchpad, with Rock 1 on the top.

8ykNaHD.png

Spoiler

After discarding boosters, and first stage.

qZoIcXs.png

Spoiler

And Rock 1 is in stable orbit.

6yhQgRs.png

Spoiler

Twig 2 waiting on the launch pad, as soon as Twig's orbit was confirmed, it lifted off. Turned out polar orbits are mean, and had to add LRBs to help with the dV.

d7pwg8O.png

Spoiler

Rinse and repeat, this time into polar orbit, Rock 2 getting ready to touch the north pole. Decoupler malfunctioned.

o4sriMh.png

So, I finally got satellites into orbit, time for Kerballed launch. But more concerning is that there is a hurrikane headed towards the TISC (Tree Industries Space Center), so we will have to wait until the hurrikane blows over. One of the disadvantages of living in Florida.

Part count is a murderer.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
Picture links broke. And spelling errors.

2 minutes ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

ops 

Wow, that was scary.

Pro tip about the Kerbal X, the rocket uses asparagus staging, which means the fuel tanks will feed fuel to the engines and to the next fuel tank. Each time a fuel tank runs out on the Kerbal X, just stage to get rid of the fuel tanks.

Just now, GuessingEveryDay said:

Pro tip about the Kerbal X, the rocket uses asparagus staging, which means the fuel tanks will feed fuel to the engines and to the next fuel tank. Each time a fuel tank runs out on the Kerbal X, just stage to get rid of the fuel tanks.

i was trying to do that but then i forgot to stage there was a staging problem and then it also started to not be stable

also i didn't steal the N1 from someone and that it was called the kerbal x

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: Never say never!

WrdBgRz.png

We said we'd never use the Mk-33 again after all the issues we had with it before. Well, never say never- one last mission was requested for the Mk-33 and 'Quaternus' was prepared for a rather unique double mission- deploy a tank full of hydrogen into LKO for later missions running nuclear propulsion to pick up, and bring the Space Station and its 3 crew back down. The docking port inside Quaternus' cargo bay was fitted to a robotic cylinder allowing it to extend outside the hold, making station capture much easier.

The deployment was pretty successful, even if we had to wiggle the robotic cylinder back and forth a few times to dislodge the tank from the hold as it got wedged. Docking to the station was fairly simple; re-entry went absolutely fine, although the trajectory was a bit too short to land at C. Yeager, unlike the previous attempts which all overshot; but then the station began oscillating wildly inside the cargo bay and the decision was made to ditch the payload to prevent the loss of Quaternus and the four crew aboard.

Spoiler

7KXLHTv.png

Blr2mlf.png

hNCayAZ.png

m7kVTdd.png9R4wvlD.png

BkvumKT.png

The station was fitted with parachutes, however before these could be deployed the station bounced against the cargo hold hard enough to break apart. This also caused damage to the Quaternus, which made a relatively smooth landing but again grazed its body flaps against the terrain and broke them. After-mission inspection revealed that some control surfaces had been pulled out of position by the forces of post re-entry flight as the space station made its bid for freedom, which may have adversely affected flight performance.

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/NO3Dw0M

AAARG's space program has been running for 2 days, 7 hours and 27 minutes. The next update will be coming to you FROM THE MUN!

And for the record- when we say we're never using the Mk-33 again, we really mean it this time!

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: MUN!

WrdBgRz.png

Massive news from AAARG as a whole plethora of Mun missions tick off their objectives. First, Valentina and the Mun Orbiter arrived in the Mun's SOI and performed a braking burn to capture into orbit, which was confirmed at day 5, 9:21- only 4.77 days since the start of the AAARG space program! As her initial trajectory was very high above the Mun, it would take several days to complete a whole orbit and Val informed Mission Control in no uncertain terms that she wasn't going to wait that long- she immediately turned the ship around and restored her free return trajectory with just enough time in between to verify that she had actually captured into a Munar orbit.

Next up, Dunler's Mun Lander arrived and captured into a much lower orbit of the Mun, although during this capture burn the cubesat mounted on the nose came loose and damaged both the cubesat's solar panels and one of the lander's solar panels; a later investigation found a PEBKAC error structural fault was the cause. The lander's second solar panel was undamaged and continued to provide power for the mission, but the damage was almost like an omen.

Scan Sat 3 also arrived at the Mun and was successfully captured into a polar orbit where it began scanning the Mun. This mission still has a considerable reserve of methane and oxidiser meaning that it can be repositioned at a later date to cover any remaining gaps in the maps.

Dunler successfully landed on the Mun on day 6, 0:17, a mere 5 days after the AAARG space program was started- excellent progress! By pure coindidence precise planning, the landing site was right at the edge of the Mun's near side giving a fantastic view of Kerbin just above the horizon; a view which Dunler used to great effect, planting our flag proudly and capturing an image of him, the flag, the lander and Kerbin all at once. At this point, Mission Control realised that there was insufficient fuel to make orbit of the Mun and then return to Kerbin, but due to pure coincidence precise planning, his landing site was ideally situated for a direct launch to return- all he had to do was point straight up, burn all the fuel and then use the backup RCS system to reach a sub-orbital trajectory in Kerbin's atmosphere. The Board have also decided that the cubesat idea will not be re-used on future missions to prevent damage to the primary mission craft.

Spoiler

IOj8Qdw.png

uBfxEOz.png

mBZCZbN.png

uyScqgI.png

Sae445G.png

34XCYLE.png

pmdv61D.png

Three resounding successes:

• First Kerbal to orbit the Mun: Valentina Kerman in 'Mun Orbiter', achieved after 4 days, 9 hours and 21 minutes. :rep:
  • First Kerbal to land on the Mun: Dunler Kerman in 'Mun Lander', achieved after 5 days, 0 hours and 17 minutes. :rep:
  • First probe in orbit around the Mun: Scan Sat 3, achieved after 4 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes. :rep:

The Board are over the Mun at these triumphs (metaphorically, unlike Val and Dunler who are literally over the Mun right now) and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Minmus missions. (Oh, and the return of Val and Dunler, I suppose...)

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/omxuFP2

AAARG's space program has been running for 5 days, 0 hours and 44 minutes. It will take almost that long before the Minmus missions arrive, by which time the Board might have come down from their collective sugar rush triggered by demolishing approximately half a ton of confectionery when the Mun successes were reported to them.

2 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: MUN!

WrdBgRz.png

Massive news from AAARG as a whole plethora of Mun missions tick off their objectives. First, Valentina and the Mun Orbiter arrived in the Mun's SOI and performed a braking burn to capture into orbit, which was confirmed at day 5, 9:21- only 4.77 days since the start of the AAARG space program! As her initial trajectory was very high above the Mun, it would take several days to complete a whole orbit and Val informed Mission Control in no uncertain terms that she wasn't going to wait that long- she immediately turned the ship around and restored her free return trajectory with just enough time in between to verify that she had actually captured into a Munar orbit.

Next up, Dunler's Mun Lander arrived and captured into a much lower orbit of the Mun, although during this capture burn the cubesat mounted on the nose came loose and damaged both the cubesat's solar panels and one of the lander's solar panels; a later investigation found a PEBKAC error structural fault was the cause. The lander's second solar panel was undamaged and continued to provide power for the mission, but the damage was almost like an omen.

Scan Sat 3 also arrived at the Mun and was successfully captured into a polar orbit where it began scanning the Mun. This mission still has a considerable reserve of methane and oxidiser meaning that it can be repositioned at a later date to cover any remaining gaps in the maps.

Dunler successfully landed on the Mun on day 6, 0:17, a mere 5 days after the AAARG space program was started- excellent progress! By pure coindidence precise planning, the landing site was right at the edge of the Mun's near side giving a fantastic view of Kerbin just above the horizon; a view which Dunler used to great effect, planting our flag proudly and capturing an image of him, the flag, the lander and Kerbin all at once. At this point, Mission Control realised that there was insufficient fuel to make orbit of the Mun and then return to Kerbin, but due to pure coincidence precise planning, his landing site was ideally situated for a direct launch to return- all he had to do was point straight up, burn all the fuel and then use the backup RCS system to reach a sub-orbital trajectory in Kerbin's atmosphere. The Board have also decided that the cubesat idea will not be re-used on future missions to prevent damage to the primary mission craft.

Hide contents

IOj8Qdw.png

uBfxEOz.png

mBZCZbN.png

uyScqgI.png

Sae445G.png

34XCYLE.png

pmdv61D.png

Three resounding successes:

• First Kerbal to orbit the Mun: Valentina Kerman in 'Mun Orbiter', achieved after 4 days, 9 hours and 21 minutes. :rep:
  • First Kerbal to land on the Mun: Dunler Kerman in 'Mun Lander', achieved after 5 days, 0 hours and 17 minutes. :rep:
  • First probe in orbit around the Mun: Scan Sat 3, achieved after 4 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes. :rep:

The Board are over the Mun at these triumphs (metaphorically, unlike Val and Dunler who are literally over the Mun right now) and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Minmus missions. (Oh, and the return of Val and Dunler, I suppose...)

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/omxuFP2

AAARG's space program has been running for 5 days, 0 hours and 44 minutes. It will take almost that long before the Minmus missions arrive, by which time the Board might have come down from their collective sugar rush triggered by demolishing approximately half a ton of confectionery when the Mun successes were reported to them.

latest?cb=20140704100449

Is all I have to say.

2 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

download flipping craft files and flipping fly them from the flipping launch pad?

that's the thing i don't even get to the point i have placed a fuel tank

guys i lost the will to do this because of the game crashing someone nuked my space center and it's got too much radiation to fix it

and now koscow got nuked

10 minutes ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

that's the thing i don't even get to the point i have placed a fuel tank

guys i lost the will to do this because of the game crashing someone nuked my space center and it's got too much radiation to fix it

and now koscow got nuked

so you mean you drop out?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.