[1.9.1+] OPT Spaceplane Continued 3.4.9.2 (beta) [Apr 02, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, jebycheek said:

Alright then... thanks anyway.

drZ7HCxc.png

that plume is just beautiful, great work!

That vessel is reeeeeeally nice. :o It saddens me to see the aerospikes since they don't get to be fancy OP engines like most other OPT engines.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That vessel is reeeeeeally nice. :o It saddens me to see the aerospikes since they don't get to be fancy OP engines like most other OPT engines.

Personally i like this one better.

Edited by jebycheek

Ok I may have a problem or just a difficulty setting by mods themselves.

I add many realistic mods in the game now, like RO RP-1 FAR etc.

INCLUDING Real Fuel, I think it is the key.

Now I tried to build a SSTO by OPT parts in sandbox mode to test, it works really well, just one problem - I couldn't find way to store Intake Atm into my plane. The OPT fuel tanks wouldn't allow me. When I click Fill,  system only fill power in (much more than I needed though :D), and I didn't find Intake Atm in Tank UI.

Is there some conflicts between mods or just Real Fuel + OPT will force me to give up using M.A.R.G.E Engines in space? If they were blocking this, could you please tell is there mod can give my Intake Atm back? I really want something can go orbit and back using only one type engine without one cent cost in career mode's late stage...

Edited by TLCore

@TLCore I suppose you'll need a tank config for IntakeAtm. The fuel switcher won't know to detect engines for it and how to proportion it. I don't play with RealFuels so I can't just give you a config and say "Try that." I can try something and work it out for you later.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@TLCore I suppose you'll need a tank config for IntakeAtm. The fuel switcher won't know to detect engines for it and how to proportion it. I don't play with RealFuels so I can't just give you a config and say "Try that." I can try something and work it out for you later.

I'm really appreciated. Waiting for good news.

@TLCore I landed it. Save this into GameData:

@PART:HAS[#manufacturer[OPT*Division]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		@type = Fuselage
	}
}

// IntakeAir gets a density nerf in RealFuels/Resources/ResourcesFuel.cfg
// Might as well mirror it; do as the Romans when in Rome
@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[IntakeAtm]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	@density = 0.001225
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Fuselage]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	TANK
	{
		name = IntakeAtm
		mass = 0.000012
		utilization = 1
		fillable = True
		amount = 0.0
		maxAmount = 0.0
	}
}

kna5g1a.png

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@TLCore I landed it. Save this into GameData:

@PART:HAS[#manufacturer[OPT*Division]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		@type = Fuselage
	}
}

// IntakeAir gets a density nerf in RealFuels/Resources/ResourcesFuel.cfg
// Might as well mirror it; do as the Romans when in Rome
@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[IntakeAtm]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	@density = 0.001225
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Fuselage]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
	TANK
	{
		name = IntakeAtm
		mass = 0.000012
		utilization = 1
		fillable = True
		amount = 0.0
		maxAmount = 0.0
	}
}

kna5g1a.png

LOL. It works! Thanks, though the earth gravity make it not very efficient like on Kerbin, still studying what else engines should be added.

Edited by TLCore

10 hours ago, TLCore said:

LOL. It works! Thanks, though the earth gravity make it not very efficient like on Kerbin, still studying what else engines should be added.

Earth gravity is the same as Kerbin gravity, though. The castle wall that SSTO planes need to climb over is the tall atmosphere and the need for idk... 11km/s dV and good TWR the whole way up. In troubleshooting your problem I did find that the RO patch was falsely firing and having OPT engines' engine module change from ModuleEnginesFX to ModuleEnginesRF, and that the B9 switch for warpjet Isp breaks so you can't choose "more Isp" on the MARGE and SAGE. Those need to be worked out sometime.

Anyway, you should be more than able to SSTO on real scale now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, yes it is deprecated and I create a new liner in KSP 1.11.2 so that I could tweak scale the J 61

This new giant OPT liner flies like a flower, take off easy and Kiss landing

So I was working on a crew vehicle and I wanted to have more drag and heatshield surface, so I wrote a simple patch to add a similar hull part switch (similar to the Mk2 nosecone etc) that adds an option for a heat-resistant version with ablator. It makes it quite a bit more expensive and heavy but it seeeeems to help with re-entry. Unlocks with the "super" hull upgrades at the Aerospace Composites node, in line with the other upgrades

MQeMaYa.png

zi8IzbB.png

.cfg is below:

Spoiler
// OPT_AblativeAirbrakes.cfg
// Uses B9PartSwitch and imitates the hull system like on the other parts
// Patched by Kavaeric

// Adds the possibility of outfitting the airbrake as a deployable heatshield surface.
// Unlocks with the heat-resistant "Super" hull upgrade at aerospaceComposites.

@PART[opt_b9_airbrake_s]:NEEDS[OPT_Legacy,OPT_Reconfig,B9PartSwitch,!DeadlyReentry]:AFTER[OPT_Reconfig]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		ablativeResource = Ablator
		outputResource:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry] = CharredAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.01
		ablationTempThresh = 500

// useChar = True
		// charModuleName = shieldChar
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = Heatshield
		baseVolume = 250
		switcherDescription = Hull Style
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Hull Styles

SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Default
			title = Default
			primaryColor = White
			secondaryColor = Grey
			defaultSubtypePriority = 3
			// descriptionDetail = 
			descriptionSummary = Standard lightweight airbrake construction for atmospheric flight.
			descriptionDetail = maxTemp: 2700K
			tankType = Structural
			MODULE
			{
				IDENTIFIER
				{
					name = ModuleAblator
				}
				moduleActive = False
			}
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Super
			title = Super
			primaryColor = White
			secondaryColor = Auburn
			defaultSubtypePriority = 2
			// descriptionDetail = 
			descriptionSummary = Advanced stats in order to withstand extremes like any heatshield. Also holds ablative material.
			descriptionDetail = maxTemp: <color="green">3500K</color>
			addedCost = 4000
			addedMass = 0.03
			maxTemp = 3500
			tankType = OPTAB
			upgradeRequired = OPTMk2NoseAdv2

TEXTURE
			{
				texture = OPT_AblativeAirbrakes/OPT_AirbrakeSuper_S
				currentTexture = model000
			}

MODULE
			{
				IDENTIFIER
				{
					name = ModuleAblator
				}
				moduleActive = True
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[opt_b9_airbrake_l]:NEEDS[OPT_Legacy,OPT_Reconfig,B9PartSwitch,!DeadlyReentry]:AFTER[OPT_Reconfig]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		ablativeResource = Ablator
		outputResource:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry] = CharredAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.01
		ablationTempThresh = 500

// useChar = True
		// charModuleName = shieldChar
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = Heatshield
		baseVolume = 300
		switcherDescription = Hull Style
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Hull Styles

SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Default
			title = Default
			primaryColor = White
			secondaryColor = Grey
			defaultSubtypePriority = 3
			// descriptionDetail = 
			descriptionSummary = Standard lightweight airbrake construction for atmospheric flight.
			descriptionDetail = maxTemp: 2700K
			tankType = Structural
			MODULE
			{
				IDENTIFIER
				{
					name = ModuleAblator
				}
				moduleActive = False
			}
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Super
			title = Super
			primaryColor = White
			secondaryColor = Auburn
			defaultSubtypePriority = 2
			// descriptionDetail = 
			descriptionSummary = Advanced stats in order to withstand extremes like any heatshield. Also holds ablative material.
			descriptionDetail = maxTemp: <color="green">3500K</color>
			addedCost = 14000
			addedMass = 0.1
			maxTemp = 3500
			tankType = OPTAB
			upgradeRequired = OPTMk2NoseAdv2

TEXTURE
			{
				texture = OPT_AblativeAirbrakes/OPT_AirbrakeSuper_S
				currentTexture = model000
			}

MODULE
			{
				IDENTIFIER
				{
					name = ModuleAblator
				}
				moduleActive = True
			}
		}
	}
}

Admittedly still learning how this forum works and I have no idea how to attach things, but I am also willing to share that custom texture I made for it up there.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, marxman28 said:

Are OPT docking ports compatible with stock Clamp-O-Trons?

They should be, if they are the same size

On 5/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, Kavaeric said:

Admittedly still learning how this forum works and I have no idea how to attach things, but I am also willing to share that custom texture I made for it up there

You would need to put the texture so.ewhere else and provide a link to it

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey! I've run into a few issues, and I was wondering if there's any active development on this mod still...

- I can't tilt any of the VTOL engines in the spaceplane hangar and when I try and tilt them in-flight, it begins the animation and then bugs out and resets to the normal angle. It doesn't let me tilt it using a slider, I have to press the tilt upward/downward buttons.

- I don't think the wings are generating any lift. I tried disproportionally large wings on a hull and it didn't work, even with no fuel in the tanks. 

I can provide logs/videos if needed.

Hopefully this mod hasn't been abandoned, it's a fantastic spaceplane mod!

@NebulaPlayz This mod is in limbo right now. There is much I want to do, but most of it is to adjust parts or their behavior (fixing things altogether) so it's daunting.

The VTOL engines use the elevon module, not an animation, for their tilt. Whatever aero problems you have with wings are extending to them. Usually, lack of lift capability is caused by having an empty FAR (FerramAerospaceResearch) folder in your GameData or you have a mod installed that contains a patch that contains the string :FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] which triggers all FAR patches in any other mods. I believe there's another cause to your problem but I don't believe anyone has isolated it. Perhaps you're meeting the conditions to trigger a specific bug.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

@NebulaPlayz This mod is in limbo right now. There is much I want to do, but most of it is to adjust parts or their behavior (fixing things altogether) so it's daunting.

The VTOL engines use the elevon module, not an animation, for their tilt. Whatever aero problems you have with wings are extending to them. Usually, lack of lift capability is caused by having an empty FAR (FerramAerospaceResearch) folder in your GameData or you have a mod installed that contains a patch that contains the string :FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch] which triggers all FAR patches in any other mods. I believe there's another cause to your problem but I don't believe anyone has isolated it. Perhaps you're meeting the conditions to trigger a specific bug.

This is the main mod that keeps me coming back to KSP. If you manage to fix it, I will definitely be redownloading the game. It's been a while. Was just checking through the new and updated mods for the first time this year. 

2 hours ago, timbrwolf1121 said:

This is the main mod that keeps me coming back to KSP. If you manage to fix it, I will definitely be redownloading the game. It's been a while. Was just checking through the new and updated mods for the first time this year. 

Sadly, I can't fix it. Not by myself anyway. I need someone who has this problem to dissect their install and isolate the offending mods. Once I know that, I can inspect and determine the factors of the conflict.

• 4 weeks later...