LOST... Old concepts to project never going off paper

A Chinese shipyard wants to jump onto the rake of nuclear-powered commercial vessels

630fbb3d-a8c1-453b-bb0f-3d609cbf8149.jpe

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202312/1303089.shtml

Sorry, but that's going straight into this thread for now. The problems are not technical but economical and political.

The most recent ship, the Sevmorput', was basically not allowed into anywhere besides North Korea.

e0189879946663.5cd2ca65ec88c.jpg

The Savannah, besides being a poor freighter, was apparently also crippled by red tape in the 1960s, long before Chernobyl.

i?id=f54dbedcf2aa20cb582001f42269a80c_l-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alternative General Dynamics A-16, a.k.a. if you don't stop asking us to put that whirr-BRRRRT onto the poor Viper, we're gonna sell you this

75196_original.png

Spoiler

Found on VK as

UzxvUZudxUg.jpg?size=960x693&quality=95&

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Alternative General Dynamics A-16, a.k.a. if you don't stop asking us to put that whirr-BRRRRT onto the poor Viper, we're gonna sell you this

75196_original.png

Hide contents

Found on VK as

UzxvUZudxUg.jpg?size=960x693&quality=95&

I was gonna make a Jedi joke but you beat me to it. Dang...

Alternatively you can yeet it from the underside of a modified C5 galaxy or 747.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has become the Hazegrayart thread. Not complaining, just remarking - they're good at digging out the strange and somewhat plausible.

On that note, absolutely check out that video's description for a 40-page article on reusable booster concepts.

Edit: There's a two-stage HTHL spacecraft that's called... POBTATO. POBTATO! Its second stage is a flying wing and it didn't rely on mid-air refueling, so I suppose they just leaned into its wide shape. :D

Edited by AckSed

31 minutes ago, AckSed said:

This has become the Hazegrayart thread. Not complaining, just remarking - they're good at digging out the strange and somewhat plausible.

It does make sense though given that Hazegrayart is practically the visualization of the topic.  Except they do  take it off paper and paint fantastically in pixels.  Their vids always make my day

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tater said:

Nuclear Ferry

DBIGHuOUwAAYvEG?format=jpg&name=large

When does this image date from? I don't recall the early 1970s, planned post-Apollo Reusable Nuclear Shuttle carrying such a lander, and I don't recall the RNS being re-proposed at a later date. The 80s and SEI stuff had conventional engines.

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

When does this image date from? I don't recall the early 1970s, planned post-Apollo Reusable Nuclear Shuttle carrying such a lander, and I don't recall the RNS being re-proposed at a later date. The 80s and SEI stuff had conventional engines.

Unsure

One of my favorites is the F-15N Sea Eagle. This fighter jet could've taken the Tomcat's job, but the Navy turned McDonnell Douglas down due to many factors, including that A) the F-15 was a CTOL craft from the start, and navalizing it would present a lot of issues, but also mainly that B) it couldn't carry AIM-54 Phoenix missiles (or at least not as many) as the F-14.

I could barely find any good pictures of it, but here is what I could find:

Putting Eagles Out to Sea – The Tactical Air Network

Sea Eagle: America's plan to put the F-15 on aircraft carriers

Were F-15 eagles made from the same frame of an F-14? - Quora

Edited by TwoCalories
Found one more picture

2 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

One of my favorites is the F-15N Sea Eagle. This fighter jet could've taken the Tomcat's job, but the Navy turned McDonnell Douglas down due to many factors, including that A) the F-15 was a CTOL craft from the start, and navalizing it would present a lot of issues, but also mainly that B) it couldn't carry AIM-54 Phoenix missiles (or at least not as many) as the F-14.

I could barely find any good pictures of it, but here is what I could find:

Putting Eagles Out to Sea – The Tactical Air Network

Sea Eagle: America's plan to put the F-15 on aircraft carriers

Were F-15 eagles made from the same frame of an F-14? - Quora

Does the F-15 even have any decent attachment point for the arresting hook. How much re-design would that have taken?

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Does the F-15 even have any decent attachment point for the arresting hook. How much re-design would that have taken?

The CTOL F-15 already has a hook, as well as pretty much any CTOL US aircraft, except that it's only for emergencies, and cannot be used in a CAT/TRAP situation.

Photo: Tailhook landing....in the desert. By a U.S. Air Force F-15 - The  Aviationist

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, tater said:

GJUi8_zbwAA-FHi?format=jpg&name=large

Say what you want about old space but they were totally justified in knocking down this proposal. Shuttle showed that reusability with 1970s technology was not what it was cracked up to be. X-33 went on to show 80s and 90s tech wasn’t up to the task either.

If Ariane group had tried to get state funding for this, I don’t think we would have gotten a European module for Space Station Freedom/ISS.

EDIT- When it comes to quite a few decisions I think it’s fine to say, “Gee, would have been nice if it would be this way,” but to say that the people who made the decisions were dumb is to judge them with hindsight, which is unfair. Even everyone (ULA, Ariane… whoever else was looking to build a next gen rocket)’s decision to forgo reusability in the late 2000s and early 2010s even as Falcon 9 reusability dev was ongoing were justified IMO. Unfortunate, but made with reasoning that was sound at the time.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

whoever else was looking to build a next gen rocket)’s decision to forgo reusability in the late 2000s and early 2010s even as Falcon 9 reusability dev was ongoing were justified IMO. Unfortunate, but made with reasoning that was sound at the time.

To some extent, but the budget to do hopper testing is relatively small and with control circuitry cost, mass, and power consumption dropping exponentially at the time I think it fair to say many missed an obvious opportunity to at least test the waters with a few jumping grain silos.  RC enthusiasts were doing amazing things making all kinds of programmable, autolanding, acrobatic helos, quadcopters, etc.  I think what happened at SpaceX was simply grabbing low hanging computational fruit that many others simply were in denial was relevant, because ... tradition? Maybe?

Edited by darthgently