Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

7 hours ago, razark said:

Yes, it does.

Look at where FY2023 and Calendar Year 2022 overlap.  It's somewhere in that area.

FY2023: 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Mar 2023
Calendar Year 2022: 1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022

So, since we know it somewhere in both of those date ranges, we can conclude that it is somewhere within 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Dec 2022.

And, since it's now April 7th, we can rule out April 1st - 6th.

The window is getting smaller and smaller, it'll be here before we know it :D 

Edited by WelshSteW

19 hours ago, razark said:

So, since we know it somewhere in both of those date ranges, we can conclude that it is somewhere within 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Dec 2022.

FY2023 does not exclude 2023. 2022 DOES exclude 2023. The release window WILL reach into 2023.

These past couple years (having been largely cooped up in my house), the days and weeks have just kinda blurred together, at least for me.
I'm quite sure I'm not alone in that regard, since there's so many memes about just exactly that happening to other people.

So, if that continues, the only thing I have to do to get KSP to release "sooner" is to continue existing.

After all, time travel exists, we just cant change the rate or the direction. One day per day is the best we can get right now.
In the future, we might be able to change the rate, but still not the direction, by taking a trip on a highly relativistic spacecraft, and using relativistic time dilation to act as a "fast forward button" for the outside world that didn't take the trip.

But we can't do that right now, and in fact if you spent your whole life on a supersonic aircraft (assuming an average human male lifespan of 87.5 years), the difference between clocks on the aircraft and on the ground (over that entire period, and assuming that both clocks kept otherwise perfect time), would be less than a second. So, we need to go faster. Much, much faster. I said "highly relativistic" velocities because you do indeed need to reach relative velocities on the order of 75% of the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a velocity regime where you do indeed need to do the relativistic time dilation math to make your calculations deliver the correct result. At that velocity, if you looked out a forward facing and rearward facing viewport on the spacecraft, you'd notice the stars in front and behind the vessel to be noticeably bluer in the front viewport and redder in the rear viewport, because doppler shifting works on light as well as sound (doppler shifting of sound is why things go "nyoom" when they pass you)

14 minutes ago, SciMan said:

These past couple years (having been largely cooped up in my house), the days and weeks have just kinda blurred together, at least for me.
I'm quite sure I'm not alone in that regard, since there's so many memes about just exactly that happening to other people.

So, if that continues, the only thing I have to do to get KSP to release "sooner" is to continue existing.

After all, time travel exists, we just cant change the rate or the direction. One day per day is the best we can get right now.
In the future, we might be able to change the rate, but still not the direction, by taking a trip on a highly relativistic spacecraft, and using relativistic time dilation to act as a "fast forward button" for the outside world that didn't take the trip.

But we can't do that right now, and in fact if you spent your whole life on a supersonic aircraft (assuming an average human male lifespan of 87.5 years), the difference between clocks on the aircraft and on the ground (over that entire period, and assuming that both clocks kept otherwise perfect time), would be less than a second. So, we need to go faster. Much, much faster. I said "highly relativistic" velocities because you do indeed need to reach relative velocities on the order of 75% of the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a velocity regime where you do indeed need to do the relativistic time dilation math to make your calculations deliver the correct result. At that velocity, if you looked out a forward facing and rearward facing viewport on the spacecraft, you'd notice the stars in front and behind the vessel to be noticeably bluer in the front viewport and redder in the rear viewport, because doppler shifting works on light as well as sound (doppler shifting of sound is why things go "nyoom" when they pass you)

It would only be costly (say bye to your inherited $1,000,000) and the time to accelerate to those speeds and return to Earth would be decades. You might as well stay frozen for the trip. You might as well just freeze yourself on Earth instead of freezing yourself on a distant spacecraft.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

FY2023 does not exclude 2023. 2022 DOES exclude 2023.

Very good.  You've got that part down.

The release window WILL reach into 2023.

Except we've been told it WILL release in 2022.  That's the second sentence of the first post of this thread.  Therefore, again, you need to look where FY2023 and CY2022 overlap.  It's really not that complicated.

4 minutes ago, razark said:

Very good.  You've got that part down.

Except we've been told it WILL release in 2022.  That's the second sentence of the first post of this thread.  Therefore, again, you need to look where FY2023 and CY2022 overlap.  It's really not that complicated.

I'm still thinking about the pitch drop taking 8 years on average and April 2023 would be 8 years from when when KSP classic came out of beta.  But, yeah, 2022 would be great.  After all, the pitch drops 8 years on average.  I has taken less than that on occasion! :)

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

...in a post from 2020. Two years later and the latest information states FY2023, which of course extends the window to mid-2023.

Sorry, I missed the statement that 2022 is no longer a valid date.  Can you please post that link?

Just now, razark said:
2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

...in a post from 2020. Two years later and the latest information states FY2023, which of course extends the window to mid-2023.

Sorry, I missed the statement that 2022 is no longer a valid date.  Can you please post that link?

FY2023 means that the game could release in 2022, but not only 2022. It also means it could release in 2023, not just 2022. Nowhere does this mean "2022 is no longer a valid date". What it does mean is that "April-December 2022" is an outdated figure and that "April 2022 - June 2023" is a more accurate estimation as it includes 6 extra moths the game could release in. Now do you understand?

FY2023 is the latest estimate and comes from Take Two's financial reports. This will be a better figure to go by than what the Steam page says and what was said in a post from two years ago.

4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

FY2023 means that the game could release in 2022, but not only 2022. It also means it could release in 2023, not just 2022. Nowhere does this mean "2022 is no longer a valid date". What it does mean is that "April-December 2022" is an outdated figure and that "April 2022 - June 2023" is a more accurate estimation as it includes 6 extra moths the game could release in. Now do you understand?

FY2023 is the latest estimate and comes from Take Two's financial reports. This will be a better figure to go by than what the Steam page says and what was said in a post from two years ago.

Why not both? Take Two says FY2023, the devs have shown that they still plan to release 2022, so what gives the impression that this second release window is incorrect? They are not mutually exclusive, and could have easily been determined at the same time. Are the developers so untrustworthy that their release date isn’t accurate?

1 minute ago, t_v said:
8 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why not both? Take Two says FY2023, the devs have shown that they still plan to release 2022, so what gives the impression that this second release window is incorrect? They are not mutually exclusive, and could have easily been determined at the same time. Are the developers so untrustworthy that their release date isn’t accurate?

What part of that detailed explanation of what FY2023 means said that FY2023 excludes 2022? Do I need to go in even more detail for you lot to understand that FY2023 means that KSP might not release in 2022?

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nowhere does this mean "2022 is no longer a valid date".

And yet, you are claiming it does.  Nothing yet has contradicted the CY2022 release date projection.

First statement: New Year's Eve is in December.
Second statement: New Year's Eve is in winter.

Based on this, you're saying that you would believe New Year's Eve could have been on December 3rd, but once the second statement is made, January 24th is now a perfectly valid date for New Year's Eve..

Now do you understand?

What we are trying to say is that despite FY2023 extending into 2023, the game will not be releasing in 2023. The overlap is not the problem, it is the extra bit of FY2023. Both parties agree that the likely conclusion is that the game will release in 2022, it is just that some are saying that releasing in 2023 is not an option, because the devs are saying they will release in 2022. 

1 minute ago, razark said:
11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nowhere does this mean "2022 is no longer a valid date".

And yet, you are claiming it does.  Nothing yet has contradicted the CY2022 release date projection.

First statement: New Year's Eve is in December.
Second statement: New Year's Eve is in winter.

Based on this, you're saying that you would believe New Year's Eve could have been on December 3rd, but once the second statement is made, January 24th is now a perfectly valid date for New Year's Eve..

Now do you understand?

FY2023 means that it might land in 2022, but that it might also land in 2023. Do you finally understand now? Or do you still think FY2023 and CY2022 are the same thing?

Just now, t_v said:

What we are trying to say is that despite FY2023 extending into 2023, the game will not be releasing in 2023. The overlap is not the problem, it is the extra bit of FY2023. Both parties agree that the likely conclusion is that the game will release in 2022, it is just that some are saying that releasing in 2023 is not an option, because the devs are saying they will release in 2022. 

Take Two's financial reports trump what the devs say. The game MAY release in 2022. But that's a MAY and not a WILL.

Take Two's financial reports trump what the devs say. The game MAY release in 2022. But that's a MAY and not a WILL.

Which goes back to what I said earlier, about why you think that the developers’ release date is not a guarantee. We know it will release in FY2023, that part is trusted. But why do you not also trust the “Releasing in 2022”? 

Remember, you have spent the last while talking about how FY2023 overlaps 2022. Why does the financial report “trump” something that is not in opposition to it?

1 minute ago, t_v said:

Why does the financial report “trump” something that is not in opposition to it?

facepalm-head.jpg

I've put too many words into explaining why FY2023 and 2022 are not the same thing. They overlap BUT THEY'RE NOT THE SAME THING.

FY2023 means that it might land in 2022...

FY2023 means that it might land in 2022, while:

On 11/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, UomoCapra said:

Gonna rip the band-aid off fast here: Kerbal Space Program 2 will release in 2022 instead of fall 2021.

means that it will release in CY2022.  And has not been refuted. 

The FY2023 part limits the portion of CY2022 that the release could occur in.  It does not mean that the 2022 date is invalid.

4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Do you finally understand now?

Do you?

Anyway, have fun with this.  I'm done.

Some content has been removed.

Friendly reminder here to keep things civil.  It's fine to debate topics, but please keep personal comments out of it.  Address the post and the topic, not the poster.

If you see something you don't like, please just use the "report post" button and let us sort it out.

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, razark said:
On 11/5/2020 at 5:17 PM, UomoCapra said:

Gonna rip the band-aid off fast here: Kerbal Space Program 2 will release in 2022 instead of fall 2021.

means that it will release in CY2022.  And has not been refuted. 

That was said back in 2020. The financial reports stating FY2023 should be refute enough.

36 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

That was said back in 2020. The financial reports stating FY2023 should be refute enough.

Bej, we all get what you're saying. Absolutely. But you may be missing that the Fiscal Year 2023 news is not "new" news. Last year's shareholders report stated FY23 as well. And that was only a few months after Nate's announcement that it was to be released in CY22. So if you're saying that the CY22 news is old and therefore no longer relevant, then the FY23 news is as well. Not to mention, the FY23 aspect is not common knowledge. The CY22 aspect is. The majority of people following KSP only know about CY22 and not about FY23. They haven't updated that window, which makes me think it's just as relevant as the FY23. 

Put me in the April 1-December 31 camp.

There's no reason to think it won't launch in 2023.

Other than the statement that it won’t launch in 2023 because it will be launching in 2022?

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

KSP 2 isn't bound to release in KSP 2. There's no reason to think it won't launch in 2023.

I think I see what you're trying to say.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

"April 2022 - June 2023" is a more accurate estimation as it includes 6 extra moths the game could release in. Now do you understand?

But there is a reason to think it will launch in 2022, don't you think? The FY23 news is almost as old as the CY22 news. Since you're not acknowledging what I said, I'll try a couple different angles. 

All of last year Steam said KSP2 was coming in 2022. Then we hit the new year and it said it was "Coming Soon". I believe it did this automatically. Enough of us talked about it here on the forums and it got noticed. Now it says 2022 again. I believe the powers that be corrected it to make sure people didn't think a release was imminent. But they still corrected it to 2022. Not 2022-2023.

Also, this YouTube video has Nate saying it will release "next year". Not next fiscal year.

1 minute ago, t_v said:

Other than the statement that it won’t launch in 2023 because it will be launching in 2022?

Or the financial reports that say it might launch in 2023?

Just now, Ahres said:

Also, this YouTube video has Nate saying it will release "next year". Not next fiscal year.

The financial reports say fiscal year. That's more important than a video from last year.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Or the financial reports that say it might launch in 2023?

The financial reports say fiscal year. That's more important than a video from last year.

I'd agree. The difference between you and me is that I think the CY22 announcements are still relevant as well, while you're discounting them. And that's fine. 

But you're ignoring my Steam argument, for what it's worth. It's just a theory, I know. But I believe it to be correct.

Also, just so you're aware. You have a post above that says FY23 gives them an extra 6 months of a release window. But T2's fiscal year goes until March 31. So it's only 3 months. So if you are right, thankfully it's only an extra 3 months and not an extra 6.