Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

3 minutes ago, Ahres said:

the CY22 announcements are still relevant

Which they aren't

But you're ignoring my Steam argument

The Steam page matters about as much as the dev announcements in the face of the financial reports. I already addressed this.

5 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Also, just so you're aware. You have a post above that says FY23 gives them an extra 6 months of a release window. But T2's fiscal year goes until March 31. So it's only 3 months. So if you are right, thankfully it's only an extra 3 months and not an extra 6.

Pardon the mistake.

I'd agree. The difference between you and me is that I think the CY22 announcements are still relevant as well, while you're discounting them. And that's fine. 

But you're ignoring my Steam argument, for what it's worth. It's just a theory, I know. But I believe it to be correct.

Also, just so you're aware. You have a post above that says FY23 gives them an extra 6 months of a release window. But T2's fiscal year goes until March 31. So it's only 3 months. So if you are right, thankfully it's only an extra 3 months and not an extra 6.

March 31 at 23:59:59 in 2023 is one second before April 2023.  April 2023 is 8 years after KSP classic dropped from beta.  The pitch drop takes on average 8 years.  I don't know anything, but I still think 2023 has logical support given the hints given.  If hints they actually were.  Que sera, sera; whatever will be will be, lol

Ok, it seems we will have a disagreement over the relevancy of the dev announcements. That is fine, as long as we don’t keep talking past each other without realizing that both sides are solidly stuck. For the pitch drop experiment, that gives such a wide range of dates while someone calculated the date from the Developer April fools announcement to be September 12. So if you are going off of the April fools announcement, the release date is April 12. Don’t know if that is relevant for others, but for me it represents a tentative release that that is at least moderately credible. 

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Which they aren't

And here's the disconnect again.

It's easy to see where you're coming from. You're hanging your hat on the earnings reports because they're basically straight from the top of the totem pole. It makes sense. Officially, KSP2 is currently set to release in FY23. I agree with that 100%.

Do you see where I'm coming from though? You saying that the CY22 announcements are irrelevant, beyond a shadow of a doubt, seems factually incorrect to me. You don't think all the social media announcements from Intercept and Private Division saying KSP2 will release in 2022, and that KSP2 will release on console in 2022, that Steam says KSP2 will release in 2022, and that the game's Creative Director says KSP2 will release in 2022 are no longer correct? ...That seems bold.

Don't you think it's possible that Intercept is confident in a release in Q1-Q3 of FY23 so they say CY22 to the general public because no one knows when T2's fiscal year is but then the earnings report just simply says FY23 to be professional with investors? 

1 hour ago, Ahres said:

Don't you think it's possible that Intercept is confident in a release in Q1-Q3 of FY23 so they say CY22 to the general public because no one knows when T2's fiscal year is but then the earnings report just simply says FY23 to be professional with investors? 

I generally agree with this logic, but it does have a flip side:  who is to say that they'd have the same date in mind given the difference in intended audiences?  With investors they must  be accurate else they get taken to court.  With the general public its ok to be fuzzily "optimistic" in a sales kind of way.  So there is no real guarantee the public announcements and the investor reports were based on the same date.  I'm still optimistic though.  Just pointing out that there is not necessarily a solid link between the dates in each case

I've been following this thread for a while and can I just say the pitch drop guess of 8 years doesn't hold any water in my opinion. It was most likely a meaningless April fool's joke about the game taking so long in development and nothing more than that. Also while the Dres math is more believable I still think that's a bit far fetched. It seems that the Dev's are confident in a 2022 release as they haven't made any announcements for a delay. FY23 just confirms what we already knew (it's also pretty old news if you think about it since we knew that a 2022 release meant it would either be FY22 or FY23) and doesn't change anything until there's an announcement that the game is to be released in 2023.  I personally think we'll definitely be getting some big news in the next 2 months whether that be a delay, a release date/season announcement at the start of a promo campaign.

14 minutes ago, razark said:

I'll admit, I missed it.

What's with the pitch drop reference?

It was another April Foll post. DO NOT get excited by the title of this thread, it's a joke, it's not real.

The link in this thread is for the pitch drop experiment.

Edited by WelshSteW

14 hours ago, Ahres said:

You're hanging your hat on the earnings reports because they're basically straight from the top of the totem pole.

So why you think dev announcements from the bottom of the totem pole will be more accurate than what's from the top is still to be determined.

So why you think dev announcements from the bottom of the totem pole will be more accurate than what's from the top is still to be determined.

You're just messing with me right? 

You're just messing with me right? 

What?

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

What?

Why do I think announcements from the developers at the bottom of the totem pole would be more accurate than the businesspeople at the top?

Maybe our life experiences are just that different, so here's where I'm coming from. I'm a civil engineer. Let's say I'm working on a project that's funded by a private owner but the general public knows about it. If someone from the public wants to know when the project will be finished, do you put more stake in the word of the owner (who doesn't know anything about engineering) or the word of the engineer (who knows something about engineering)?

1 minute ago, Ahres said:

do you put more stake in the word of the owner (who doesn't know anything about engineering) or the word of the engineer (who knows something about engineering)?

It doesn't matter when the game will be finished. It matters more when Take Two decides to push the button and release the game, which is utterly out of the dev's control. Nate is qualified to develop a game, not make the final decision on which release window will bring in more profit.

Your analogy is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It doesn't matter when the game will be finished. It matters more when Take Two decides to push the button and release the game, which is utterly out of the dev's control. Nate is qualified to develop a game, not make the final decision on which release window will bring in more profit.

Your analogy is incorrect.

Ah see? Now we're getting somewhere. I'm so ready to see the game released that I hadn't considered T2 would hold off on release even if the game is ready if it means an increased profit. Why didn't you say this right off the bat? :joy:

Because you didn't make it clear you thought games released as soon as they were done.

I'm not sure I thought that either. More like "It's behind by 2.5 years, surely they'll release it ASAP so it can start making money" sort of thing. 

12 hours ago, razark said:

I'll admit, I missed it.

What's with the pitch drop reference?

11 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

It was another April Foll post. DO NOT get excited by the title of this thread, it's a joke, it's not real.

The link in this thread is for the pitch drop experiment.

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Is too real 

I'm reliably informed that the 'pitch drop' prediction coincides with my National Churro Day prediction as the anticipated release date.  I'm going with that until further notice.  

We are now into the second quarter of 2022. Is there ANY update about even an approximate release date of KSP 2?

Is it still planned to be released in 2022 or has it been pushed back?

14 minutes ago, 6Pack said:

We are now into the second quarter of 2022. Is there ANY update about even an approximate release date of KSP 2?

Is it still planned to be released in 2022 or has it been pushed back?

There's been some discussion in this thread, to which your question has been moved. 

Best guesses range from tomorrow to the first 2 or 3 months of 2023.  Nothing official; all guesses.  It is looking good for 2022 according to the majority of guesses.  You might want to follow @KSPStar as that team member seems to be the one releasing news.  Here is the latest video that dropped on Friday