Polar Orbit Relay Kommunication

1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Is there any reason not to set up a 3 Sat Comm Relay in a Polar Orbit? 

There's no reason why it shouldn't be possible. However, it might not be so useful for a few reasons:

1. Launch windows. Since the KSC is exactly at the equator, launching to 0 degrees is quite easy- just go East whenever you want. But when you're going polar, the KSC usually isn't under the orbital track of the target, so you have to wait until it is, or waste lots of precious plane change dV. Since you'll want your commsats to be on the same plane, launch windows might only come up once a day or less.

2. Lack of useful synchronous orbits. The main feature of Kerbin-stationary orbits in KSP is to keep a satellite over a specific spot on Kerbin throughout its orbit (as in real life). Most of the time this is KSC, after which signals are broadcast to a wider network of interplanetary satellites. This means you can only send up one satellite to ensure near-constant contact with the space center for your probes, as opposed to two or three for non-synchronous orbits. In a polar or inclined orbit, this can't be done.

3. Contact with the Mun. This one might be weaker than the rest, but in the early game or if your antenna range is limited, being on the same orbital plane as the Mun and close to Minmus's means more reliable signal and slightly improved range.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

16 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

There's no reason why it shouldn't be possible. However, it might not be so useful for a few reasons:

Thanks, I apologize for not rereading my question and adding more details Clamp-o-Tron.

My bad for posting after Rye.

Minmus Polar Orbit and Munar Polar Orbit with RA-2 Dishes.

My thinking is that this easily covers both moons as I wring every last Science out of them.

Thanks for your points.

The main reason to not have 3 relay satellites in polar orbit is "less than 3 relay satellites in polar orbit is enough", 

Just for transmitting science from the surface of Mun/Minmus a single relay may be enough if one don't mind to wait for the sat to get into position.  More satellites will just increase coverage. 

So, it's a matter of how much you want the extra coverage vs how much you are willing to take the extra funds/time/effort to setup  the relays.

yeah... I used to do just two... in long eliptical orbit, 180° out from each other... Really only needed one, but I was on a constellation spree...
2 polar, 3 equatorial around both Mun & Minmus...
even did 24 GPS sats in a constellation, plus, IIRC, 8 comm relays, around Kerbin (2 polar, 6 in KEO) :P

Only really need one polar, in a nice long elliptical orbit... it spends better than 90% of its time out of the planet's shadow... so you only have use for another (offset), for a very short time, for 100% coverage vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Personally I just complete 3-5 satellite contracts around every body, and give those satellites enough relay antennas to reach Kerbin. Then, the satellites pay for themselves (or more) and I get a relay network not just for free, but for negative funds.

Sure they're not perfectly set up (though you can move them after if you're persnickety) but in my experience 5 satellites gives coverage almost always, and those few times it doesn't I have a chance to think up a plan b.

I tend to just spam satellites in long elliptical polar orbits everywhere, it's not very efficient but it nets me coverage pretty much 100% of the time. I've experimented with stationary orbits before but it requires either extreme precision, constant stationkeeping or mods/savefile edits, so I usually don't bother.

I had similiar plan to make polar sats but after playing a bit I realised that specific communication satelites dosent have much sens.

For refueling on orbit goes crafts anyway and if they have diches, simplest solar and battery they do the job anyway and after a while there be a swarm of them whatever the trajectory.

Of course there is a lot fun setting satelites on specyfic keo and sync them, but other vehicles do the job anyway.

Edited by vv3k70r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.