[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

53 minutes ago, Manul said:

I had always been skeptical about orbital resource processing plants because the only two "resources" available in orbit are vacuum and microgravity, while every other resource should be brought from elsewhere by huuuge freighters that burn huge amounts of fuel, compromising the whole idea of accelerating resources to orbital velocity before processing them.  And this station utilizes both vacuum and microgravity while using very little mass of physical resources so it is a totally reasonable and efficient orbital processing plant.

It depends... Is it more efficient to bring the plant as huge ship to all collection sites? Maybe. Is it efficient to gather some materials by relatively small freighters? Maybe... e.g. I wouldn't collect ore and take it to a facility to extract the needed uranium. The conversion ratio is too bad. I'd rather do some conversion steps in situ out there in the black and only take preprocessed materials home to the central fabrication facility.

In fact, the end-game sub-light-engines from FFT offer so much dV, that efficiency in transport doesn't matter anymore. You can easily build a ship with 100.000 m/s dV and more. 

Producing gravi yourself is endgame content of FFT for me - it marks the transition to the FTL era for me.

Edited by Rakete

Question: when going interstellar, how many people maneuver around versus going in a straight line? In addressing yet another interplanetary/interstellar bug, I’m considering ripping out that mechanic altogether in favor of encouraging players to simply use timewarp to go faster.

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Is it more efficient to bring the plant as huge ship to all collection sites? Maybe. Is it efficient to gather some materials by relatively small freighters?

I prefer to find a place having most resources I need or at least the best combination of the most requested resources like water, minerals and ore plus one more exotic resource that defines the purpose of this particular facility. For example having both water and uranite on a low gravity moon makes a good refueling base for NSW-powered tugs if they aren't too big and clumsy to land. If they are, there is a tanker to refuel them in space.  And if I'm lucky enough, I can find multiple "exotic" resources separated by only a few kilometers on the border of two biomes that simplifies the logistics greatly (and justifies the extensive usage of dropships and rovers to find this sweetspot, I like dropships and rovers).  Some resources can not be obtained everywhere so things like lithium, argon/xenon and of course graviolium still need to be transported interplanetary but they aren't consumed in huge quantities so shipping them doesn't feel grindy. Of course you can not expect to have all possible resources on one tiny moon with Rational Resources but the general idea would remain the same: to rely on external supplies as little as possible and carry the most mass and volume efficient resources (not water or hydrogen because they are always used in huge amounts)

Edited by Manul

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Question: when going interstellar, how many people maneuver around versus going in a straight line? In addressing yet another interplanetary/interstellar bug, I’m considering ripping out that mechanic altogether in favor of encouraging players to simply use timewarp to go faster.

Straight line for me. I don't bother with maneuver nodes for FTL.

11 hours ago, gliznorp said:

how do you detect the anomalies? and are the warp gates near every planet?

They are listed as Space Objects like asteroids, and their title starts with "Unknown" in the map. There aren't warp gates at every planet. The anomalies are random- well, they would be if I had more anomalies built...

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a bug with the jumpgates in 1.9.5 (I don't know if it's fixed or not in 1.10.0.) In some cases it allows a ship to jump while not consuming as much graviolium as it should, or making the jump entirely free. It happens whenever the jumpgate has too little graviolium stored (which is often, since it does not have any built-in storage) but the vessel flying through it has enough for the jump.

Looking at the source code (WBIJumpGate.cs, lines 563-607), it seems like it detects that the gate does not have enough graviolium, but allows the jump to proceed anyway since the ship does ("As a backup, if the jumpgate can't pay the toll, check the traveler"). However, a few lines down it still tries to take that graviolium from the gate, instead of the traveller. If the gate has none, then the jump is free.

Sorry if I should have posted on GitHub issues instead, didn't know if you check there.

Edited by Caliperstorm
minor grammatical error

On 7/30/2024 at 7:41 PM, Caliperstorm said:

I noticed a bug with the jumpgates in 1.9.5 (I don't know if it's fixed or not in 1.10.0.) In some cases it allows a ship to jump while not consuming as much graviolium as it should, or making the jump entirely free. It happens whenever the jumpgate has too little graviolium stored (which is often, since it does not have any built-in storage) but the vessel flying through it has enough for the jump.

Looking at the source code (WBIJumpGate.cs, lines 563-607), it seems like it detects that the gate does not have enough graviolium, but allows the jump to proceed anyway since the ship does ("As a backup, if the jumpgate can't pay the toll, check the traveler"). However, a few lines down it still tries to take that graviolium from the gate, instead of the traveller. If the gate has none, then the jump is free.

Sorry if I should have posted on GitHub issues instead, didn't know if you check there.

Thanks! I'll take a look when I have more time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey, so, how do i make the bussard collectors collect specifically graviolium? they are only collecting liquid H2 despite being in the band for graviolium.

On 8/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

Included blueshift collectors don't work right now. Use the FFT ones or wait for the upcoming update.

that's a PITA. thanks for letting me know before my big jool mission, at least! guess i gotta send an engineer up...

Edited by Kazako

10 hours ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

You could edit the minHarvestValue's in blueshift.cfg to be lower. Like, 10-15 more zeroes. That worked for me.

i could try that, but i'd like a specific value so i don't have to restart the game multiple times to test, as i am stuck with a hard drive that takes a while to boot the game and requires all of my system RAM in order to do so due to my modding efforts

Edited by Kazako

51 minutes ago, Kazako said:

i could try that, but i'd like a specific value so i don't have to restart the game multiple times to test, as i am stuck with a hard drive that takes a while to boot the game and requires all of my system RAM in order to do so due to my modding efforts

Something like this works:

Spoiler

HARVESTED_RESOURCE
        {
            Name = Graviolium
            BaseEfficiency = .2
            MinHarvestValue = 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
        }

It doesn't change the intended harvest speeds, just allows the harvesters to work in all bands.

For reference this is the original:

Spoiler

HARVESTED_RESOURCE
        {
            Name = Graviolium
            BaseEfficiency = .2
            MinHarvestValue = 0.0000000001
        }

19 minutes ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

Something like this works:

Hide contents

HARVESTED_RESOURCE
        {
            Name = Graviolium
            BaseEfficiency = .2
            MinHarvestValue = 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
        }

It doesn't change the intended harvest speeds, just allows the harvesters to work in all bands.

For reference this is the original:

Hide contents

HARVESTED_RESOURCE
        {
            Name = Graviolium
            BaseEfficiency = .2
            MinHarvestValue = 0.0000000001
        }

i can't seem to find this specific line in Blueshift.cfg, are you certain this is in there and not somewhere else?

22 minutes ago, Kazako said:

i can't seem to find this specific line in Blueshift.cfg, are you certain this is in there and not somewhere else?

Apologies, it's under Blueshift/Patches/SpaceDustForBlueshift. 

It'll appear multiple times in the file with different minHarvestValue's in each appearance. 

Or, you could replace the contents of SpaceDustForBlueshift with the contents of this file (it's the unreleased fixed version).

https://github.com/Angel-125/Blueshift/blob/master/Patches%2FSpaceDustForBlueshift.cfg