wasd controls are too sensitive to drive

when using the wasd controls to change attitude, the game always push in the chosen direction as much as it can. this works for a spacecraft, where rotation is slow and you have no reason to delay. unfortunately, it works really poorly for rovers and planes.

on a high speed rover, i want to make small manuevers. more times than i can count i crashed the rover because, while i tried to give the key the quickest touch, it wasn't slight enough and it produced a massive turn that sent me tumbling.

is there any way in the stock game to reduce steering speed?

for planes i could manually reduce the maximum angle of control surfaces, though the thing could bite me if i actually need a steep manuever. for rovers i would like to reduce steering range, but it's pretty much the only thing in the wheel you can't control.

P.S. I do NOT want mods. I don't like the idea of installing a mod for everything, and they invite krakens

You can hit caps lock which reduces control parts. I have no idea if it also reduces steering speed but it's reasonable to expect it. Reasonable enough to suggest and try :)

You can use a controller. If you can get it to work, I've never bothered but I hear horror stories. Presumably the analog controls would work on steering.

Other than those two guesswork things that might not even work, I can't think of one. Even considering mods, which you don't want to consider.

Edited by Superfluous J

23 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

You can hit caps lock which reduces control parts. I have no idea if it also reduces steering speed but it's reasonable to expect it. Reasonable enough to suggest and try :)

You can use a controller. If you can get it to work, I've never bothered but I hear horror stories. Presumably the analog controls would work on steering.

Other than those two guesswork things that might not even work, I can't think of one. Even considering mods, which you don't want to consider.

caps lock works wonderfully. thanks, this saved me a lot of troubles

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

You could also try using a joystick. You'll likely need one anyway, since the problem you describe is far worse with aircraft. 

on the other hand, every aircraft i've ever flown (which, admittedly, were not many) had a point where it remained stable on its own. so once i found it, i could remove my hands from the control, and the plane would keep circling the planet even if i left the game running in the background.

with a rover, otoh, i need to manuever. i'm past the point where i need to circumnavigate craters or slopes, but every time i hit a bump i don't land perfectly straight and my course is altered, i must compensate eventually. and i have to dodge the occasional surface feature.

Try using the Trim feature. It works great on planes and rovers and requires SAS to be off to function. Hold the Alt key and then lightly tap A or D to give a small gradual turn to the left or right. When you’ve finished turning the desired amount, press Alt+X to return the controls to zero. You can also make the rover continuously drive forward in partial throttle - you can fiddle with the sweet spot to maintain a constant forward speed.

For planes, you can trim up or down to hold level flight, or gradually climb or descend, but still make abrupt inputs if you need to. With practice flying becomes very fluid and only requires you to manually roll and occasionally adjust pitch trim.

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Try using the Trim feature. It works great on planes and rovers and requires SAS to be off to function. Hold the Alt key and then lightly tap A or D to give a small gradual turn to the left or right. When you’ve finished turning the desired amount, press Alt+X to return the controls to zero.

Me stupid - I was "triming" by deployment on control surface to get flat flight.

Something you might try - rebind the driving controls from default WASD to arrow keys.  Then at high speed, using WASD only gives you  reaction wheel forces - and their power can be fine-tuned with a slider in the right-click menu.

19 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Something you might try - rebind the driving controls from default WASD to arrow keys.  Then at high speed, using WASD only gives you  reaction wheel forces - and their power can be fine-tuned with a slider in the right-click menu.

This is one of the first things I do with a new game. Makes me sometimes wish I had a third hand, though.

I always use the arrow keys to drive rovers, but I’ve also found that applying a bit of reaction wheel torque to yaw rather than using wheel steering is a better way of turning at high speeds. It’s also a good idea to set your rear wheels to either toggle their steering with an action group (on at low speed to turn tightly but off when going faster) or just turn it off altogether.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, king of nowhere said:

on a high speed rover, i want to make small manuevers. more times than i can count i crashed the rover because, while i tried to give the key the quickest touch, it wasn't slight enough and it produced a massive turn that sent me tumbling.

Sounds like it could be a rover design issue. Also make sure to disable the reaction wheels when driving.

1 hour ago, s_gamer101 said:

Sounds like it could be a rover design issue. Also make sure to disable the reaction wheels when driving.

the rover is good. sure, i could make a rover that's much more stable, but this one is capable of landing on tylo on its own, refueling and going back to orbit. so it's big and heavy with a large fuel tank and isru equipment.

the problem is, i've been routinely driving it between 60 and 80 m/s on tylo. that's hella fast.

also, i never had a problem with reaction wheels while driving, and in fact i find they help stabilize against bumps. at least they help at lower speed

Edited by king of nowhere

12 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

the rover is good. sure, i could make a rover that's much more stable, but this one is capable of landing on tylo on its own, refueling and going back to orbit. so it's big and heavy with a large fuel tank and isru equipment.

Have you disabled the steering on the rear wheels?  If you haven't, then by default they'll steer, too (in the opposite direction from the front ones).  That's a handy thing for tight turning radius and maneuverability, but can lead to instability at speed.

Disabling the steering on the rear wheels will make it steer the way a car does, i.e. only the front wheels turning, which should be easier to handle.

12 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

also, i never had a problem with reaction wheels while driving, and in fact i find they help stabilize against bumps. at least they help at lower speed

Yes, my own advice would have been the exact opposite, i.e. "make sure you have some hefty reaction wheels and SAS enabled".  ;)  Though it's important to remap the rover steering controls awayt from WASD, so that you don't end up generating reaction-wheel pitch and yaw torque when you're trying to steer the rover.  No idea why they made those two sets of controls use the same keys by default; hilarity always ensues.  Personally, I like to use the numpad keys for steering the rover, so that they're not interfering with WASD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.