[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

On 3/19/2023 at 8:37 AM, boraklcequinox said:

So i have  a strange bug.

Yesterday i was trying to do a minmus mission when i realised that the terrier engine's plume just didn't show up.I tried it at differen't bodies and it worked fine.I also tried different engines and they worked fine too.

https://imgur.com/a/sJFfWkp

It's unlikely that there's be an update soon but if you leave a ksp.log file, someone might be able to help :)

On 1/24/2022 at 4:30 PM, Knight of St John said:

well, I'm just guessing. since hydrogen-oxygen engines in space are also blue-white (because of the high temperature) and they run hydrogen rich, I'm just assuming that's what very hot hydrogen looks like.
and yes I am aware that the cherenkov radiation is exaggerated, but it does make the engine look at least 80% cooler.
this way it's actually distinguishable from regular reaction engines and you get that nuclear feeling.

one thing is for sure: it's way more accurate than the pink hydrogen plasma plume from before. you dont actually create plasma with a NERVA engine.

Gas does not emit blackbody radiation at reasonable conditions. The blue light is coming from hydrogen plasma too, which is created by combustion, specifically from hot partly combusted radicals settling into H2O. Just heated hydrogen would be fully invisible. While the magenta plume might not be representative on the solid core NTR it is representative of the fuel type as more advanced engines from lightbulbs to the fresnel, and it does look really nice. I would just keep the magenta plume for fuel type consistency. The blue one looks odd to see on the nerv.

There appears to be an issue with the Rapier's plume. In vacuum, it clips through the vessel, and has weird visual artefacts.

Spoiler

screenshot2.pngscreenshot3.png?width=2560&height=1440

This is on a fresh install of KSP, with only Waterfall-Core, ModuleManager and Stock Waterfall Effects installed, running on macOS 10.14.6 with a Radeon Pro 560X. All other Waterfall plumes work perfectly fine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 2:37 PM, boraklcequinox said:

Yesterday i was trying to do a minmus mission when i realised that the terrier engine's plume just didn't show up.I tried it at differen't bodies and it worked fine.I also tried different engines and they worked fine too.

Same problem here.

Edited by NaviG

On 3/19/2023 at 9:37 AM, boraklcequinox said:

This is a fun one.  It's caused by a bad interaction between parallax and waterfall's refraction shaders.  You should be able to work around it by disabling waterfall's refraction effects in its settings window.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:03 AM, geostationary_coffee said:

On Linux engine and RCS plumes are still visie through the engine bell/craft body. I have both the latest version of SWE and waterfall installed

On Mac as well. It seems anything using the Waterfall/Additive (Volumetric) shader does this.

Problem with some RCS: Using stock mk1-2 pod and 4 rcs blocks. When enable the RCS the fps goes ~50% down. Crazy cause i'm hitting 100fps and it goes 30-50fps. As soon as I stop RCS game works again at 100fps. image.png

10 minutes ago, NaviG said:

Problem with some RCS: Using stock mk1-2 pod and 4 rcs blocks. When enable the RCS the fps goes ~50% down. Crazy cause i'm hitting 100fps and it goes 30-50fps. As soon as I stop RCS game works again at 100fps. 

Yep, there's an optimization in there that disables all rcs modules from updating when RCS is off.  It looks like you have at least 24 rcs thruster transforms on that ship which all need to evaluate waterfall effects.  I have a couple other optimizations I had been working on last year but never really polished them off; not sure if they would help in this case.

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Yep, there's an optimization in there that disables all rcs modules from updating when RCS is off.  It looks like you have at least 24 rcs thruster transforms on that ship which all need to evaluate waterfall effects.  I have a couple other optimizations I had been working on last year but never really polished them off; not sure if they would help in this case.

I'd help you manage this new branch of SWE :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, JonnyOThan said:

It seems that it's related to the pixel light count, but you probably know it :).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Interesting, what other mods do you have installed?

Dependencies only.

(Update: Aerospike arrarently works as well, I'll try to make a test by firing all engines at once)

Edited by Jeb x Valentina

@AtomicTech thanks to my very scientific test, I have finally figured out which engines work. The list is below:

• Vector/Mamooth
  • DART
  • Rhino
  • Mainsail
  • Skipper
  • Twin-boar
  • RAPIER (both modes)
  • Poodle
  • Terrier

All other engines, as well as all RCS thrusters have their boring particle plumes

As for the light waterfall, I honestly have no idea

Edited by Jeb x Valentina

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, bright Universe said:

I'm have a question.The use of this mod with realfuel will disable the ignition Mechanism of the engine.Uninstall and then recover.

Is this a question or more of a PSA (not @panarchist space alliance)?