[1.12.5] Kcalbeloh System Planet Pack (v1.1.8) - A journey to a black hole (Aug 31, 2024)

Jason Kerman

I think that's the best mod to add other solar systems. Also it's compatible with exactly the right mods. 

Are there Plans to add easteregss too? That would be the last bit to make it perfect.  

Edited by Kergarin

This pack is so much fun!

I've been working on some updates for TUFX and I noticed that the skybox has a lot of color banding.  At first I thought I had a bug somewhere, but it's actually pretty bad in the source texture files too.  Any hope of getting that cleaned up?

Thanks for putting so much work into this, it's fantastic!

On 7/21/2024 at 8:18 AM, Kergarin said:

Are there Plans to add easteregss too? That would be the last bit to make it perfect.  

Unfortunately no since I'm not good at modeling.

On 7/23/2024 at 12:11 AM, JonnyOThan said:

I've been working on some updates for TUFX and I noticed that the skybox has a lot of color banding.  At first I thought I had a bug somewhere, but it's actually pretty bad in the source texture files too.  Any hope of getting that cleaned up?

Can you show some screen shots? 

19 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

After a tip from someone on my mod thread, the next update of OPX-JoolPlus will ensure that WH3141A is reparented properly around the new Jool object to make sure both mods can work together.

Would you mind sending it to me on github or discord? I can include it in future updates if you want.

On 7/22/2024 at 10:11 PM, JonnyOThan said:

This pack is so much fun!

Thanks for putting so much work into this, it's fantastic!

I agree, I disabled the skybox for this reason as well in my playthrough.

3 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

pG0ab2U.png

I've circled some example areas in red. but in general there isn't a smooth transition through the background gradient, and the "steps" between colors are quite obvious. This is caused by the bit depth of the image and can be added by whatever program is being used to create the image if it's attempting to compress the file size at all at export.

EDIT:

I've just made a shocking revelation as I posted the image above. It is only visible on ONE of my monitors, mainly the 3440x1400 10 bit color monitor. On my other, which is 8-bit 1920x1080, I actually can't see the issue in my screenshot, only on the even brighter parts of the original texture (closer to the galactic band).

This might not have been a noticeable issue as on standard 8-bit monitors  it doesn't appear to be so bad.

Regardless, here is an example from the same texture file that DOES appear on my 8-bit monitor, meaning the issue is still present, but less noticable.

5zmDpzf.png

Edited by BLUAV8R

4 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

I can't really see the banding on the first image from BLUAV8R, but the second one is one place where I've noticed it.  Also in KS_Positive_Z: hOjBUVH.png

If you use the eyedropper tool, the adjacent color RGB values change in increments of ~3 instead of using the full 32 bit depth.

9 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

Would you mind sending it to me on github or discord? I can include it in future updates if you want.

Since it'll be included in JoolPlus anyway I dont see the point, but I can do that.

I have encountered a visual bug I think, after I scaled my planets to 2.5x(using the built in cfg file) and put the kerbol system around the orbit of kecalbeloh, the clouds became black and the planet became white. I am using Blackracks Volumetric clouds, deferred rendering.

KSC is floating into space literally. It was working with rescale continued( i think) but as soon as i got that, i came across the suggestion that the built in rescaler is way better and should be used instead. And this happened, the days and nights are incredibly fast, all the visuals are kinda messed, and ksc is floating into space.

https://imgur.com/a/Ti6BdCq

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed a strange visual artifact when using KSRSS with Kcalbeloh. Planets don't seem to be as dark on their night time sides as they should be. Looks like they're being illuminated by another star... Indeed, it looks like they're receiving dim light from the Sun all the way in the Kcalbeloh system. Any idea why this might be the case?

https://imgur.com/a/FWvih5o

Edit: Unrelated question, are the 1x, 2.5x and 10x rescale configs the only options? Doesn't seem to work if I put a custom number. Any way to get, say, 5x scale? Thanks!

Edited by Sahadara

18 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Edit: Unrelated question, are the 1x, 2.5x and 10x rescale configs the only options? Doesn't seem to work if I put a custom number. Any way to get, say, 5x scale? Thanks!

Kcalbeloh's scale configs are just some SigmaDimensions config files in the KcalbelohSystem/OtherFeatures/Rescale directory; typing 2.5 or 10 in the main settings .cfg is just a shortcut to "activate" one of those. For example, the lines in 10x.cfg that look like

@Kopernicus:HAS[@KcalbelohSystemSettings:HAS[#Rescale[10]]]:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]

only apply the configs below them if the "Rescale" parameter is set to 10.

To get a 5x scale system you will need to write your own SigmaDimensions config based on the two provided. One way to do this might be to copy the 2.5x or 10x configs, change the relevant SigmaDimensions scaling values like Resize and Rescale and so on, and remove the :HAS[] blocks entirely from the various @Kopernicus commands so they're applied no matter what. (Kcalbeloh's config files also modify the stock system except in a few special cases, so if you're doing this from scratch you might want to make sure you don't have any other SigmaDimensions config files changing those. That's a recipe for double-scaled-up planets!)

Edited by arbsoup

• 3 weeks later...

The mod is very cool and it's a lot of fun, but I have a question, are you going to continue developing the mod or are you already done?
and another question, 
 Are you going to add more planetary systems? 

or doing something like Galaxies Unbound?
Thanks for the mod, really

When Principia is installed, unusual behaviour occurs in the Simetra-Simeht system.  Specifically, after the SimeSystem barycenter object is removed and all items in it are reparented to Simetra, Simetra's configured SOI value is not increased to compensate, so you can be right up against Simetra and Simeht but still be considered in orbit of the star, Sunorc.  This causes some unusual knock-on effects:

Beyond the expected inconvenience of not being considered in the system for science or contracts in career mode, there comes a point once you're close enough to at least Simeht (I didn't test for approaching Simetra), that you will not be able to re-initate timewarp once you turn it off.  The game considers your craft to be "under acceleration."  If I had to hazard a guess on why this happens: Because the game considers your craft to be "in high orbit of Sunorc" near nothing in particular, but you're actually being strongly accelerated by a nearby giant planet, the game, ignorant to the fact that you're deep in the gravity well of anything, assumes the rapid acceleration must be from an impulse on your craft and prevents you from warping.

Eventually, as you get even closer to the planet, the camera still knows to re-orient from the orbital camera to the surface-oriented camera.  However... the game still thinks you're "in orbit of Sunorc," so it orients the camera's down axis not onto the planet you're rapidly approaching, but onto the star instead.

At this point, you should be well within the confines of even the small SOI configured for Simeht (and even within its "In Space Low" radius) but it still doesn't consider you to be at Simeht at all... perhaps because you're not entering from the SOI of its parent, Simetra like it would expect?

At any rate, I imagine one could probe at the spaghetti coming from this interaction forever, so TLDR: Copying the SOI radius from the inactive SimeSystem config and using that in place of Simetra's regular SOI value fixes all of the above issues.  If you're feeling persnickety, Simeht's SOI can be tweaked up slightly as well (though leaving it shouldn't break anything).  The value is ordinarily 1.2E7, but 1.4E7 should be just right for it and Simetra to trade off at their L1 Lagrange point.

Hope that helps someone.  Oh, and thanks for all the amazing stuff, Jason!

On 8/29/2024 at 8:53 AM, Not Jebediah kerman said:

The mod is very cool and it's a lot of fun, but I have a question, are you going to continue developing the mod or are you already done?
and another question, 
 Are you going to add more planetary systems? 

or doing something like Galaxies Unbound?
Thanks for the mod, really

I wouldn't say I'm already done but I don't plan to add any new celestial bodies, since the current system is tested stable with Principia, adding any new bodies can potentially break the stability. I'm still actively developing this mod, mainly for maintenance and improved features.

1 hour ago, Walrup said:

When Principia is installed, unusual behaviour occurs in the Simetra-Simeht system.  Specifically, after the SimeSystem barycenter object is removed and all items in it are reparented to Simetra, Simetra's configured SOI value is not increased to compensate, so you can be right up against Simetra and Simeht but still be considered in orbit of the star, Sunorc.  This causes some unusual knock-on effects:

Beyond the expected inconvenience of not being considered in the system for science or contracts in career mode, there comes a point once you're close enough to at least Simeht (I didn't test for approaching Simetra), that you will not be able to re-initate timewarp once you turn it off.  The game considers your craft to be "under acceleration."  If I had to hazard a guess on why this happens: Because the game considers your craft to be "in high orbit of Sunorc" near nothing in particular, but you're actually being strongly accelerated by a nearby giant planet, the game, ignorant to the fact that you're deep in the gravity well of anything, assumes the rapid acceleration must be from an impulse on your craft and prevents you from warping.

Eventually, as you get even closer to the planet, the camera still knows to re-orient from the orbital camera to the surface-oriented camera.  However... the game still thinks you're "in orbit of Sunorc," so it orients the camera's down axis not onto the planet you're rapidly approaching, but onto the star instead.

At this point, you should be well within the confines of even the small SOI configured for Simeht (and even within its "In Space Low" radius) but it still doesn't consider you to be at Simeht at all... perhaps because you're not entering from the SOI of its parent, Simetra like it would expect?

At any rate, I imagine one could probe at the spaghetti coming from this interaction forever, so TLDR: Copying the SOI radius from the inactive SimeSystem config and using that in place of Simetra's regular SOI value fixes all of the above issues.  If you're feeling persnickety, Simeht's SOI can be tweaked up slightly as well (though leaving it shouldn't break anything).  The value is ordinarily 1.2E7, but 1.4E7 should be just right for it and Simetra to trade off at their L1 Lagrange point.

Hope that helps someone.  Oh, and thanks for all the amazing stuff, Jason!

Thank you for your information! I will include the fix in the next update (coming in two or three days). Let me know if there is any issue with the new release.  

Posted (edited)

Release v1.1.8

Installtion Guide

1. Install Kcalbeloh System
    • If you have an older version of the Kcalbeloh System installed, please completely delete it before proceeding with the new version.
    • Download from one of the sources:
    • Download Kcalbeloh-System-(v1.x.x).zip.
    • Choose ONE of them to download:
      • Kcalbeloh-Textures-4k.zip: Regular-res textures.
      • Kcalbeloh-Textures-8k.zip: High-res textures, NOT recommended if your RAM is no more than 16 GB.
    • Extract the zip files and put all the folders in /GameData (000_NiakoUtils, 001_DuckweedUtils, KcalbelohSystem, KcalbelohTextures, and KopernicusExpansion) to your [KSP installation folder]/GameData/ folder.
    • Do NOT download KcalbelohExtras.zip unless you know what it is used for.
  2. Install Dependencies
  3. Install Visuals
    The planet pack works fine without visual mods, but it will lose a large part of its aesthetic.
    • EVE Redux: for clouds, dust storms, and auroras.
    • Scatterer: for realistic atmosphere, oceans, and sun flares.

Changes since v1.1.7

1. Added support for KSRSS (requires SigmaDimensions). The scale of the system follows KSRSS settings.
  2. Added VertexColorMapEmissive as the new dependency. Emissivity of lava is revamped using the new emissive mod.
  3. Adjusted 2.5x rescale to 2.56x.
  4. Changed rotation speed of Uleg to 2:1 spin-orbit resonance.
  5. Other minor changes and fixes.
Edited by Jason Kerman

Hello I am having trouble with this mod. I am attempting to use JNSQ + Kcalbeloh however when I install Kcalbeloh is causes the kerbins year to be 1000+ days and causes kerbin to orbit around the sun at only 5ish km/s. 

Logs https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jgufwca0bktpb7regoxyv/AJGojnQlCbp3f9GVFu39-z8?rlkey=l7i6g0jau4e5kg4drewced1my&st=llmmfgzu&dl=0

Screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ny67gqyhgpq3vsc5gd1x6/screenshot11.png?rlkey=ti7rdagdph63vzehpa93vtwk2&st=9vbbuw6d&dl=0

Update I found the issue: JNSQ is compatible with v1.1.2 Kcalbeloh and below but is not compatible with v1.1.4 and above. For whatever reason going past v1.1.2 breaks the calendar and orbital speed of the planets around kerbol.

Edited by JimmyKerman
Updated infomation

9 hours ago, JimmyKerman said:

Hello I am having trouble with this mod. I am attempting to use JNSQ + Kcalbeloh however when I install Kcalbeloh is causes the kerbins year to be 1000+ days and causes kerbin to orbit around the sun at only 5ish km/s. 

Logs https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jgufwca0bktpb7regoxyv/AJGojnQlCbp3f9GVFu39-z8?rlkey=l7i6g0jau4e5kg4drewced1my&st=llmmfgzu&dl=0

Screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ny67gqyhgpq3vsc5gd1x6/screenshot11.png?rlkey=ti7rdagdph63vzehpa93vtwk2&st=9vbbuw6d&dl=0

Update I found the issue: JNSQ is compatible with v1.1.2 Kcalbeloh and below but is not compatible with v1.1.4 and above. For whatever reason going past v1.1.2 breaks the calendar and orbital speed of the planets around kerbol.

Which version of Kcalbeloh are these logs using?

Looks to me like the Sun is getting its radius and mass set to the values that Kcalbeloh's RealisticStarSize patch gives it, and then not rescaled afterwards. Kcalbeloh objects aren't getting rescaled either though, which is odd.

9 hours ago, arbsoup said:

Which version of Kcalbeloh are these logs using?

Looks to me like the Sun is getting its radius and mass set to the values that Kcalbeloh's RealisticStarSize patch gives it, and then not rescaled afterwards. Kcalbeloh objects aren't getting rescaled either though, which is odd.

The logs are using v1.1.8

I have a different set of logs using the v1.1.2 below (which does not seem to be experiencing the bug)

Logs using v1.1.2 : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/4dcsdpnlv3e2mxkhgxr52/ABPcD5MfysDZpaL1bGsUBb0?rlkey=mwkh1isptsq2b2flxmjn1epng&st=l8dhkq29&dl=0

On 9/1/2024 at 9:12 PM, JimmyKerman said:

Can you install SigmaDimensions and try again? Kcalbeloh needs that to work properly with JNSQ

Hello, I've encountered a problem with kcalbeloh system mod. for some reason all the planets in the aralc system have glitchy messed up atmospheres, and if I go too close to the planet arorua it just crashes my game. And it is ONLY the aralc system every other system looks just fine, and I have no clue why. I installed kcalbelloh via CKAN so it should be free of problems. could anyone explain to me what's going on!?

2 hours ago, Zum of all trades said:

Hello, I've encountered a problem with kcalbeloh system mod. for some reason all the planets in the aralc system have glitchy messed up atmospheres, and if I go too close to the planet arorua it just crashes my game. And it is ONLY the aralc system every other system looks just fine, and I have no clue why. I installed kcalbelloh via CKAN so it should be free of problems. could anyone explain to me what's going on!?

CKAN isn't a good thing for planet packs. Ensure you have no conflicting mods, then try downloading the mod manually. It'd also be good if you gave your Kopernicus.log file.

8 hours ago, Iapetus7342 said:

CKAN isn't a good thing for planet packs. Ensure you have no conflicting mods, then try downloading the mod manually. It'd also be good if you gave your Kopernicus.log file.

Uh, 100% no.

13 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Uh, 100% no.

Nops, @Iapetus7342 has a point.

CKAN's metadata is lacking on Planet Packs.  Kerbol Origins, for example, is flagged to work only to KSP 1.8.1 on SpaceDock, and this information is replicated on CKAN.

8roWiXu.png

pwjPizW.png

But it was confirmed that it works fine on KSP 1.12.5:

So the user have to tell CKAN to consider KSP 1.8.1 to be compatible to KSP 1.12.5 to have it installed.

6i2Qve1.png

But not everything that works on 1.8.1 will work on 1.12.5, subjecting the user to the risk of install incompatible or troubled add'ons that are known not to work on 1.12.5 at all - sometimes unattended due the Recommendations and Suggestions.

So, yeah. @Iapetus7342 is right. It's best to install the Planet Packs by hand, letting CKAN handling the other dependencies without using the somewhat unaccurate KSP compatibility flags.