Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

11 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now that is pretty evil to do I say, also pretty dangerous from anything from groups panicking to heart attack. I'm very sure you have an top protective glass layer and structural panel below.
you want the protective layer to be very hard to scratch and the structural layer to be strong but do not have to be scratch resistant. It also make it easy to replace the protective layer if its damgerd. 
But even knowing this I would be scared. 

Fun fact is many of China's attractions are quite a troll when it comes to "torturing people with a fear of heights". Such as:

This is a place I probably wouldn't have gone to in this life if no surprise. Probably a decade or two ago if I remember correctly, there was even no safety rope for people until some of them were really jumped from there.

Edited by steve9728

14 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Fun fact is many of China's attractions are quite a troll when it comes to "torturing people with a fear of heights". Such as:

This is a place I probably wouldn't have gone to in this life if no surprise. Probably a decade or two ago if I remember correctly, there was even no safety rope for people until some of them were really jumped from there.

Yes, but that looks more like some old track who is fine as its not regulated but if you start charging people you have some responsibility over your customers. 
And that path looks awesome if you have some climbing experience. If you are an chain smoker who is serious afraid of heights but friends drag him along it might easy be an problem. 

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:

If you are an chain smoker who is serious afraid of heights but friends drag him along it might easy be an problem. 

And that’s what my friends trying to do on me:huh:

58 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

And that’s what my friends trying to do on me:huh:

Closest thing I been in like this is some glass boxes extending out of the top of sears tower in Chicago. It was an weird feeling looking down the skyscraper. Boxes could be retracted into the visitor center, probably for cleaning. 

6 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Closest thing I been in like this is some glass boxes extending out of the top of sears tower in Chicago. It was an weird feeling looking down the skyscraper. Boxes could be retracted into the visitor center, probably for cleaning. 

As I said, they are freaking troll on this: at the rooftop of the Canton Tower, they make the drop tower with the TV signal transmission antenna - not too high, 455~485m to the ground.

Been there a decade ago with my parents. The good news to me is they also fear high as I am.

Everyone is familiar with the Euler's identity.

a7464809a40f9e486de3a454745f572fbf8bb256

"e" as /ee/
"pi * i" as /pi/ + /i/ = /pi:/
"1" as Roman "I", /ai/
"0" as /o:/

Thus, if /k/ means "+",

the Euler's identity correct pronunciation is /ee/ /pi:/ /k/ /ai/ /o:/

Spoiler

7rpf9u.jpg

Now we know what this character was actually shouting, and that the mathematics is strong.

Thanks to the help of the forum, resolved.

P.S.
Actually, he adds something like "math of", but I can't hear it exactly.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Gun-powered mousetrap

No offense but I swear that's the most American thing I've ever seen...

In an interesting cowinkidink* my son and I were just discussing how spring guns are illegal in the US.  Generally speaking you're not allowed to use deadly force to preserve property - on the other hand it is perfectly legal to use deadly force in defense of yourself or others.

Won't keep you from being prosecuted or sued - but as an affirmative defense, it's better than nothing.

*(throwback to black&white TV comedy specials)

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

In an interesting cowinkidink* my son and I were just discussing how spring guns are illegal in the US.  Generally speaking you're not allowed to use deadly force to preserve property - on the other hand it is perfectly legal to use deadly force in defense of yourself or others.

Won't keep you from being prosecuted or sued - but as an affirmative defense, it's better than nothing.

*(throwback to black&white TV comedy specials)

For very good reasons. As a kid we loved to explore places like neighbors barns as it was an adventure. You also has the hilarious stories of you forget to lock your door and find someone drunk sleeping on your sofa or toilet, 
First use stronger and more scary fences, second alarms, last hire an guard. 

Using an gun to kill an mouse is way overkill but know trappers has used gun traps to kill bears. This would be designed so smaller animals like foxes would not trigger them. 
And in so remote areas that you only risk with humans it that they might steal your trap , or more sneaky steal your bear and reload the gun :) 

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Generally speaking you're not allowed to use deadly force to preserve property - on the other hand it is perfectly legal to use deadly force in defense of yourself or others.

The problem is perfectly solved in the places of the world, where your life and your deadly force is your only property.

On the other hand, what if you are a landlord (not a beggar who is leasing a flat to other beggars for a fistful of dollars, but a real, true landlord, like George Washington was)  the "others" are your property.
Can you use the deadly force to protect them as your property, justifying it as "they are a part of me and others"?

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

As a kid we loved to explore places like neighbors barns as it was an adventure. You also has the hilarious stories of you forget to lock your door and find someone drunk sleeping on your sofa or toilet, 

What a horrible bourgeous jungle is abroad...

In our childhood we only were reading about kids visiting others' gardens and somethimes shot from a gun with a pack of salt.
And every time were being shocked that the books for kids propagate such criminal behaviour. (I mean, the someone fence trespassing, not the shooting with salt).

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Using an gun to kill an mouse is way overkill

Indeed.

Spoiler

(No action in the video, just an explanation.)

1. The sunflower husk on the bottom is better than water, because isn't vaporizing, but still prevents the jumps from inside.

2.  The metal sponge is good to patch the holes in the walls, because the mice dislike gnawing it. Better fix it with the construction foam.

A teacher gives a homework:
"Tomorrow every pupil should bring a self-made mousetrap."

Next day.
"Well, kids, show me your crafts."

%name A% puts on the table a wooden plank with a big nail sticking out with sharp end.
"Well, %name A%, please explain, how it works."
(Emotionally explains with gestures) "The mouse will come, see no cheese on the nail, and will...  (starts shaking with head up-down, histerically hitting the nail with chin)" 'WHERE. IS. MY. CHEESE. ???"'

"Good, %name A%, now your turn, %name B%".

%name B% puts on the table a wooden plank with a razor blade sticking out with sharp edge.
"Well, please explain."
(Emotionally explains with gestures) "The mouse will come, see no cheese at the razor, and will start shrilly whining  (starts shaking  with head left-right, occasionally rubbing the razor with throat)" 'They left no cheese for me..."'

Good, %name B%, what about you, %name C%"?.
%name C% puts on the table two bricks vertically, then puts the third one on top. Then puts a piece of cheese inside.
(Emotionally explains with gestures) "The mouse will come, see thecheese, and will say "Wow! What a nice cheese for me!" (widely spreads hands  in excitement, and pushes the two bricks, letting the top brick fall down)".

Is summer now and is the season for Yunnan people to eat mushrooms. And looks like the US Embassy in China has done its homework in dept, as the Secretary of Treasury's first meal in China was Yunnan cuisine - the mushrooms. 

The restaurant she went to posted on social media said she ordered four sides of Suillellus luridus alone. Fun fact is that thing is known for hallucinations due to poisoning from inappropriate (mostly undercooked) consumption - the victims on the news reports said they usually see strange little people. And then this kind of news comes up basically every year.

Another fun fact closely related to this is hospitals in Yunnan are the best in the whole of China in treating poisoning after eating mushrooms. You see, is for reasons.

Edited by steve9728

5 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Is summer now and is the season for Yunnan people to eat mushrooms. And looks like the US Embassy in China has done its homework in dept, as the Secretary of Treasury's first meal in China was Yunnan cuisine - the mushrooms. 

The restaurant she went to posted on social media said she ordered four Suillellus luridus alone. Fun fact is that thing is known for hallucinations due to poisoning from inappropriate (mostly undercooked) consumption - the victims on the news reports said they usually see strange little people. And then this kind of news comes up basically every year.

Another fun fact closely related to this is hospitals in Yunnan are the best in the whole of China in treating poisoning after eating mushrooms. You see, is for reasons.

I hope she ordered them well done

The follow-up to this is that I just saw the latest post from this restaurant saying that all their outlets in different cities across the country were sold out of these mushrooms at 8 pm this evening. I had this before (but not this restaurant) when I went to Yunnan for graduate travel with my high school classmates. This mushroom is indeed delicious - even better than matsutake, I think. And most importantly cheaper than matsutake. Just, well, a little bit risky.

Fortunately, that one I had also well cooked

Las-Vegas.
From real to unreal. From vice to insanity.

This scary thing is 111 m high.

Spoiler

Imho, they should call it King Lewis Sphere.

Spoiler

Stephen King feat. Lewis Carroll.
The Stand + Alice: American McGee.

MV5BOTZmN2ExOGQtNWYxZi00ZDcxLWI5MTctNzQ5maxresdefault.jpg

I would suggest a huge funhouse mirror mode.

P.S.
The Las-Vegans, two years later.

Spoiler

502542601947.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

Through the controlled variable method of experimentation, I found that using an iPad to take notes works better if the meeting leader is around thirties, while if the leader is older than 30, a pen and notebook works better.

Spoiler

Although the 'notes' I take on the 'paper' doesn't too serious usually