Science News Thread (for articles that don't relate to ongoing discussions)

The game is on:

We conclude that the first JWST observations of high-redshift objects cannot be explained by the expanding-Universe model. Everything points to the possibility that the actual age of the objects in the Universe is far larger than predicted by ΛCDM cosmology. Of course, we should be cautious about such a conclusion. Thus, before dismissing the expanding-Universe paradigm, it is important to robustly confirm the new findings. No doubt, much longer exposures and much deeper fields will be acquired in the forthcoming years by the JWST. These longer exposures would likely result in new galaxies discovered at z ≈ 20 or more. Based on our conclusion, we predict that the JWST should discover even smaller galaxies (in terms of their angular-sizes) and that those smaller galaxies would be observed as very luminous, with well-developed morphology. They would be approximately the same (perhaps, slightly less-evolved) as the galaxies of the late Universe. In such a case, the expanding-Universe paradigm would require correction and modification, in line with the discussion presented here

3-theta-r-log.eps (arxiv.org)

I'm not familiar with any of the researchers.  Perhaps our Russian members could comment on whether these guys are on the level?

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm not familiar with any of the researchers.  Perhaps our Russian members could comment on whether these guys are on the level?

Googling "Ловягин Райков Ершов" (there also should be Shirokov / Широков) returns links to astronomy/cosmology conferences and works

N.Yu. Lovyagin and Yu.N. Lovyagin are  from the St. Petersburg University, Both with math background, Ph.D ("candidate of science").
As well, their usual co-author S.I. Shirokov is.
Raykov and Yegorov are also their usual co-authors.

23 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The game is on:

3-theta-r-log.eps (arxiv.org)

Lovyagin-junior lists Linux as his primary research focus, and cosmology as his fifth.

https://csd.spbu.ru/staff/31-staff/n-y-lovyagin/28-n-y-lovyagin.html

Internet student gossip sites (which, judging by how they describe my grandfather, can be frighteningly accurate) summarize Lovyagin-senior as having started off at Syktyvkar university, having messed with his bosses badly enough he'd been shoved off to a forestry college, and then his son helped "pulled him along" to SPBU's mech-math department.

https://www.alumni-spbu.ru/man.asp?UID=10589

So I think we're looking at two mathematicians perusing the glory of modern telecommunications to get their work out to the world. They're not from any of Russia's astrophysics flagships, but they don't seek like kooks.

22 minutes ago, DDE said:

So I think we're looking at two mathematicians perusing the glory of modern telecommunications to get their work out to the world. They're not from any of Russia's astrophysics flagships, but they don't seek like kooks

Thanks!  I found the link from a guy on an astronomy board who regularly posts 'LCDM-Questioning' articles.  It was just timely to my sense that things are going to be interesting - but I also try to keep my eye open for bias. 

It seems like the JWST data / articles we are seeing is the limited set that is part of an early open release policy.  The 'private' data that specific researchers have scheduled time for won't start coming out for a while yet (guessing). 

Many of them will have very specific goals - like atmosphere of exoplanets and BH behavior that won't directly relate to the SMofCosmology or DM...  But there are many pre-launch articles claiming that a big part of the expectation is a focus for JWST research confirming or expanding our knowledge of DM and expansion. 

So it's interesting to see early work in tension with that expectation. 

I don't know what a reasonable lag time is between good data gathering and publishing in this space - but I'm keeping an open eye for the heavy lifting articles I hope will start coming out this year. 

https://www.stsci.edu/files/live/sites/www/files/home/jwst/science-execution/observing-schedules/_documents/2236205f01_report_20221228.txt

This suggests that a LOT of high redshift galaxies and clusters are priority targets 

First discovery of an organism that lives on a primary food source of viruses: https://newatlas.com/science/first-virovore-eats-viruses/

These experiments show that the newly coined term “virovory” can now take its place among herbivory, carnivory et al, with Halteria crowned the first known virovore. But of course, it’s unlikely to be the only one out there, and the researchers plan to continue investigating the phenomenon, including its effects on food webs and larger systems like the carbon cycle.

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Mars behind the moon;

e9GJZSHbag7w8zdGbaqkG6.jpg

Art?  Is this one of those AI things or has someone played around with actual photos?

5 minutes ago, Beamer said:

First discovery of an organism that lives on a primary food source of viruses: https://newatlas.com/science/first-virovore-eats-viruses/

That falls into the 'seriously - we just found that NOW!?!' category.

Very 'wow' research

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That falls into the 'seriously - we just found that NOW!?!' category.

Very 'wow' research

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It doesn't sound like they used any modern or high tech methods. Just cultivate a virus in a dish and add a bacteria, it's something they could have done decades ago. Must be one of those "everyone thought somebody else had already figured that out" things :)

14 minutes ago, Beamer said:

one of those "everyone thought somebody else had already figured that out" things

I'd bet money on it!

45 minutes ago, Beamer said:

"Perseverance finds Light saber on Mars, the Jedis are coming!"

1-PIA25652-stretched.width-1280.png

Actually, it's the first sample container dropped by Perseverance :D

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-perseverance-rover-deposits-first-sample-on-mars-surface

0mj6oo40b4451.jpg

In this one, they found water!

(These plants are not the life you are looking for)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

42 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Summa neurobiologica.

The most importantest discovery ever.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-33119-w

Soon. A corporative slave collar supressing the undesired activity with microwaves.

The best labourer of month is granted with temporary deactivation of the emitter.

"The payoff: do one situp or receive an electric shock." 

Yeah - that needs funding. 

cross-section-of-sequoia-yosemite-nation

As a rule, gymnosperms—flowerless plants with naked seeds—grow slower and live longer than angiosperms, flowering plants with fruits. Gymnosperms include ginkgo and every kind of conifer—including yews, pines, firs, spruces, cedars, redwoods, podocarps, araucarias and cypresses. Roughly 25 gymnosperm species can live 1,000 years or longer. The cypress family contains the most millennials, but the longest-lived species is a pine with an effective age limit of five millennia. By contrast, eight centuries is extremely old for an oak, an angiosperm. And only one kind of flowering plant, a baobab, has been positively dated beyond one millennium.

The Science Behind the Oldest Trees on Earth | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Wondering, how did this tree know about all this events?!

Wood Wide Web

Referencing an analogous function served by the World Wide Web in human communities, the many roles that mycorrhizal networks appear to play in woodland have earned them a colloquial nickname: the Wood Wide Web.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhizal_network

Why the Romans had better buildings than us: https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/roman-concrete-mystery-ingredient-scn/index.html / https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.add1602

The study team, including researchers from the United States, Italy and Switzerland, analyzed 2,000-year-old concrete samples that were taken from a city wall at the archaeological site of Privernum, in central Italy, and are similar in composition to other concrete found throughout the Roman Empire. They found that white chunks in the concrete, referred to as lime clasts, gave the concrete the ability to heal cracks that formed over time. The white chunks previously had been overlooked as evidence of sloppy mixing or poor-quality raw material.

^ not sure if bug or feature. sometimes something lazy works out in the long term.

that said every now and again a master builder will come up with something impressive that nobody else is doing. 

AA161HNa.img?w=630&h=416&m=6

London-based independent researcher has helped uncover a fascinating meaning behind Ice Age hunter-gatherers’ 20,000-year-old markings in cave drawings... ...The markings, when closely associated with animal images, further appeared to represent numbers for months on a lunar calendar and helped communicate the reproductive cycles of animals...   

“The results show that Ice Age hunter-gatherers were the first to use a systemic calendar and marks to record information about major ecological events within that calendar,” Pettitt said.

“We’re able to show that these people ― who left a legacy of spectacular art in the caves of [France’s] Lascaux and [Spain’s] Altamira ― also left a record of early timekeeping that would eventually become commonplace among our species.”

Amateur Sleuth Helps Unearth A 'Surreal' Finding In Ice Age Cave Drawings | HuffPost Latest News

A brilliant sample of pulling by ears the modern ecogreen agenda to random things, probably to pull money to the study. A sympathetic scientific magic.

By using the birth cycles of equivalent animals today as a reference point, the team deduced that the number of marks associated with ice age animals were a record, by lunar month, of when they were mating. They believe the inclusion of a “Y” sign, formed by adding a diverging line to another, meant “giving birth”.

1. These pictures were being painted for tens thousands of years. Why aren't they covered with myriads of marks, if these marks are something more than someone's personal notes?

2. Were they following every deer mating-pregnancy cycle? Or they were stalking for a year a particular deer, watching its belly, and making notes?
How many familiar deer do they have in the forest, when they hunt daily, to feed a hundred of people?

3. Where are the folk stories like "six long months was brave Strong Arm following the White Spot On Left Shoulder deer, because he knew from the elders that he should hunt it on the eighth month" ?

4. What makes to think that "Y" marks a "giving birth" event, rather than "our shift in the schedule", "this time we hunted well", "this time we move to the south camp", "look, I can count by eights!", "wife has her special days; please, good forest spirits, give me the strength to survive this again!" ?

5. How many modern hunters have fertility diaries of the deer in the forest?

6. As it's known, the pre-modern people often even don't see a clear connection between mating and births. They mostly understand the sex as a woman's birth-making battery recharging or so.

Edited by kerbiloid

13 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

s it's known, the pre-modern people often even don't see a clear connection between mating and births

I would disagree.  I've seen articles about this and other cave paintings showing that the cave artists do much better than modern w/r/t body shape and things like accurate representation of 'gait' - knowing how a 4 footed animal moves its hind legs in conjunction with the front (for example).  The commentary is that they were careful observers of their world. 

Modern hunters certainly know about the Rut and pastoralists know about selective breeding and the relationship between a mating animal and pregnancy.  Heck biblical 'purity' of females is clearly aligned with childbirth and associated risks of pregnancy and the social costs (and if we think of the Old Testament / Torah as a written compilation of oral traditions, given that all the begats are in the book - mating certainly wasn't mysterious.

Thus when your life and society depend upon knowing when what food will be available (and how successful hunting might be) - you tend to pay attention. 

I'm of the opinion our ancestors could easily have figured this out