[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

3 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Does your craft have a pair of Kerbals assigned? A kerbal's Jetpack and Parachute add 35 funds/kerbal.

Nope, it had one kerbal assigned, as KSP defaults - the same kerbal that was assigned by default upon craft saving (also in ksp 1.12.3) before bda install. One default kerbal would make up for 35 funds. It is alright for me. Small deviations are nit worth talking about. But the main issue became fixed from 1.5.5.1 (where each loading of a craft (created before bds+ install) resulted in some weird prices recalculation with flickuering/changing total price of the vessel, which took depending on vessel part count several seconds, before it delivered a stable price) to the newest version. Thank you so much for the quick fixes.

If I stumble across more bugs/issues I'll report them here. I'm kinda used to being bugdetector and reporter, as I did that for many a mod here. Somehow i seem to attract the bugs :D

Edited by Rakete

I hope this is okay to ask on here but I’ve Been using this mod for as long as it’s existed can’t play ksp with out it and I was just wondering if you guys had any plans to bring this mod to ksp 2 once it’s released? With what the ksp 2 devs have said about focusing on making the game to be able to handle a lot more parts and physics going on wouldn’t this mod benefit from that extremely?

@SuicidalInsanity

@DocNappers

A little question on a QoL-improvement:

E.g. with the TWS Locking radar you can log on to targets either by clicking on them in the radar screen OR moving the cursor on them and hitting the lock button. Both works in the current BDA+-release - just tested it.

But can you make the area in which the correct cursor position or the correct mouse cursor position is accepted as correct click on the radar screen a little bit bigger? Sometimes i click (respective hit the lock button) almost 10 times on the radar blib with almost correct positioned cursor (or alternatively the mouse) to make it lock on, because the catch-area of the moveable cursor OR in case of the TWR-Radar the mouse click is so small that you have to hit the right pixel.

Edited by Rakete

On 12/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, Rakete said:

I don't use CKAN. There is no new release on github, but on spacedock. Guess I should always check both sources for updates. Are new versions anounced in this thread (to which I subscribed), or should I check regularly?

I'm back from my holiday, but am still catching up on everything.

I normally do the releases simultaneously on github and spacedock (which CKAN picks up on) and then update this thread with the changelog, but since v1.5.6.1 and v1.5.6.2 were released by the other devs while I was away, it was probably only released on spacedock for those versions.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, Cozu Bozu said:

Hello my question is what is the "Stop/Start" tracing in BDarmory settings inside the "Other settings". What it does?

It saves the position and rotation of vessels involved in a competition (those in the vessel switcher) to JSON files in GameData/BDArmory/Logs/VesselTraces/. Those can be used with the plot_vessel_traces.py script to get a matplotlib plot of the paths of the vessels during the competition. It was intended for use with Blender, but I'm told that the rotations aren't correct (possibly due to Unity using a left-handed coordinate system vs Blender's right-handed one, but this never got properly resolved).

On 12/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

The NRE spam is coming from something unrelated to the radar issue (an AI error that shouldn't be happening, and I can't replicate on my end), which is why I asked for the specific .craft files you were using.  Autosaved craft are saved as  /KerbalSpaceProgram/saves/[Savegame]/Ships/SPH/Auto-Saved Ship.craft

The NRE spam is due to the pilot AI throwing an exception during startup and not instantiating some variables (smoothedGLoad and smoothedSinAoA)

[EXC 22:12:29.627] Exception: FSM Error: Cannot switch states before starting. Please call StartFSM() before running the FSM.
  KerbalFSM.RunEvent (KFSMEvent evt) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelDeployment.ActionToggle (KSPActionType action) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelDeployment.ActionToggle (KSPActionParam kAct) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  BaseAction.Invoke (KSPActionParam param) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  ActionGroupList.ToggleGroup (KSPActionGroup group) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  ActionGroupList.SetGroup (KSPActionGroup group, System.Boolean active) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
  BDArmory.Control.BDGenericAIBase.ActivatePilot () (at <ded1a0797d404d11af35d617b51bebbc>:0)
  BDArmory.Control.BDModulePilotAI.ActivatePilot () (at <ded1a0797d404d11af35d617b51bebbc>:0)
  BDArmory.Control.BDGenericAIBase.Start () (at <ded1a0797d404d11af35d617b51bebbc>:0)
  BDArmory.Control.BDModulePilotAI.Start () (at <ded1a0797d404d11af35d617b51bebbc>:0)
  UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
  ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
  UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

As to why toggling the wheel action group at that point is causing an exception in KerbalFSM, though, I've got no idea.

(Sorry for using a translator)
I found the energy tab of the BDA AI settings window to be very cluttered.
The information provided in the game is explained based on the setting window that appears when you right-click an AI part, but ironically, the AI setting window where you can see this information window has a different setting name.
This situation can be very confusing for those new to AI, so please patch it.
Please see pictures with all the problems I found.

+ Also, it would be nice to add the location of the time override setting to the PID autotune description. And as a way to manually stop Auto-Tune, it would be nice to add an explanation that if you disable it by folding the Auto-Tune window, the settings will return to the best value.

image.png

Edited by cart324

29 minutes ago, cart324 said:

I found the energy tab of the BDA AI settings window to be very cluttered.
The information provided in the game is explained based on the setting window that appears when you right-click an AI part, but ironically, the AI setting window where you can see this information window has a different setting name.
This situation can be very confusing for those new to AI, so please patch it.

The ordering in the Infolink panel definitely needs fixing and some of the terms could be standardised, but there's only so much that can be done with regard to the abbreviations. KSP's part windows (PAW - the one with the green sliders) scale the text within the sliders to accomodate longer strings, but the text in the AI Manager GUI is a fixed size and overlaps the sliders if it's too long, so it needs to use abbreviations and shorter terms for the same concepts. The terms used in the Infolink panel ought to be the same as those in the PAW since the PAW can be considered the primary interface (for the most part) and the AI GUI the secondary interface.  Adding in some subsection headers (Evasion, Extending, etc.) to the AI GUI may help with the clarity and reduce the amount of abbreviations needed too — I'll see what I can do.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to rearm a craft while in flight in addition to transferring ammo from one craft's container to another? Is it possible to re-populate the bombs or missiles that were on pylons when a craft was launched after it's dropped them? Or would a kerbal have to re-place them manually (assuming that's possible)?

2 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to rearm a craft while in flight in addition to transferring ammo from one craft's container to another? Is it possible to re-populate the bombs or missiles that were on pylons when a craft was launched after it's dropped them? Or would a kerbal have to re-place them manually (assuming that's possible)?

You can re-arm Missile pylons using eva-construction, given that, the missiles aren't too heavy for the kerbals (60 kg on kerbin). Otherwise you need more than one kerbal to lift them (the possible weight values add up, the more kerbals you bring to install a missile, e.g. on Kerbin two kerbals can lift up to 120 kg, three 180 kg etc....).

E.g you can re-arm a destructive satellite with HEKV1 missiles. Have done that,... works.

Edited by Rakete

7 minutes ago, Rakete said:

You can re-arm Missile pylons using eva-construction, given that, the missiles aren't too heavy for the kerbals (60 kg on kerbin). Otherwise you need more than one kerbal to lift them (the possible weight values add up, the more kerbals you bring to install a missile, e.g. on Kerbin two kerbals can lift up to 120 kg, three 180 kg etc....).

E.g you can re-arm a destructive satellite with HEKV1 missiles. Have done that,... works.

Cool, thanks!

50 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Cool, thanks!

Please note: in zero-gravity weight of the parts does not matter. Therefore one kerbal can reload the heaviest weaponry.  (Advice: increase the kerbal eva range and the inventory range in the settings.cfg in the ksp-root directory, where the exe-file of ksp lies, to make eva reloading less fiddly)

Also: If you use the sandcastle mod in combination with KSP_Partvolume (to create the configs for any part to make them printable in sandcastle) you can set up a 3D-Printer to produce missiles in-situ. This consumes ore. Just for information and... the possibilities! Want to have a cruise missile on laythe and forgot to bring them with you? 3D-Print them. Need new ammunition boxes? Print them. Yes, you can have a missile factory on laythe or duna or wherever you want. 

But installing bigger parts like the weapons bay on an existing vehicle in orbit using stock eva construction always made my vessel explode or break apart. I don't know why. So it's best, to have fitted such parts right away before launch of your vessel. But reloading missiles is easy and works (at least, it did for me on my latest attempt)

Edited by Rakete

3 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Please note: in zero-gravity weight of the parts does not matter. Therefore one kerbal can reload the heaviest weaponry. 

Inertia still exists in orbit.  A Kerbal could be crushed by something massive he slowly got in motion but couldn't decelerate in time to prevent it squeezing him to paste between the massive part and a craft (if kerbs could be killed so easily).   

Imagine one person pulling a garbage truck in neutral on level ground.  It would take a (very long) while to get it moving and the same to stop it, even with the tire friction helping to slow it etc. 

tl;dr Canadarm has a purpose, yay.

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

Inertia still exists in orbit.  A Kerbal could be crushed by something massive he slowly got in motion but couldn't decelerate in time to prevent it squeezing him to paste between the massive part and a craft (if kerbs could be killed so easily).   

Imagine one person pulling a garbage truck in neutral on level ground.  It would take a (very long) while to get it moving and the same to stop it, even with the tire friction helping to slow it etc. 

tl;dr Canadarm has a purpose, yay.

The Canadarm was/is rated for more mass then the shuttle. If it grabs something big enough then the shuttle and arm move around the object. Or more accurately, the whole thing moves around the barycenter. So more like standing on a skateboard while pushing the dump truck. You move, the board moves, the truck not so much.

@DocNappers @SuicidalInsanity

Bugreport

The newest change of the BDA-Nuke-Code disabled their destructive features.

Test here: Drop this (only for testreasons made) bomb on the KSC: All buildings remain intact:

https://www.filemail.com/d/xhhlcgqmcdrzzgv - It uses the BDA+-included Nuke module (like the AIR-2 does). Also included: A testvessel (stock)

Before the latest change the KSC was destroyed by it completely. (Verified with BDA+ 1.5.5.1) but now the nuke only creates a nice effect, but does not create a heat / blast wave and no damage at all.  The example bomb (50MT) delivered in the file above is an extreme example for verification - to show that even largest yields and fluxes do nothing anymore. (The dds/mu is taken from North Kerbin dynamic, if I remember correctly but the config is changed by me to make it use the BDA-included nuke module like the AIR-2 does... It's just an verification tool for me. Yeah, I do stuff like that for bug chasin' ... sorry. Just mean to help. Please don't redistribute - I just took it for making a verification testrig, after I found that bug. The downloadable files will also delete itself after 7 days)

You can safely fly through blast fireball right now. Did a back-to-back-test with 1.5.5.1 and 1.5.6.2 to confirm. The nuke works on 1.5.5.1 but does not in later versions. So the BDA-Nuke-module is broken due to the newest changes (to make them work in space, as @SuicidalInsanity reported in the release notes for 1.5.6.2.

I'd suggest reverting the nuke-code back to the 1.5.5.1 baseline.

Edited by Rakete

On 1/21/2023 at 3:27 PM, Rakete said:

@DocNappers @SuicidalInsanity

Bugreport

The newest change of the BDA-Nuke-Code disabled their destructive features.

Test here: Drop this (only for testreasons made) bomb on the KSC: All buildings remain intact:

https://www.filemail.com/d/xhhlcgqmcdrzzgv - It uses the BDA+-included Nuke module (like the AIR-2 does). Also included: A testvessel (stock)

Before the latest change the KSC was destroyed by it completely. (Verified with BDA+ 1.5.5.1) but now the nuke only creates a nice effect, but does not create a heat / blast wave and no damage at all.  The example bomb (50MT) delivered in the file above is an extreme example for verification - to show that even largest yields and fluxes do nothing anymore. (The dds/mu is taken from North Kerbin dynamic, if I remember correctly but the config is changed by me to make it use the BDA-included nuke module like the AIR-2 does... It's just an verification tool for me. Yeah, I do stuff like that for bug chasin' ... sorry. Just mean to help. Please don't redistribute - I just took it for making a verification testrig, after I found that bug. The downloadable files will also delete itself after 7 days)

You can safely fly through blast fireball right now. Did a back-to-back-test with 1.5.5.1 and 1.5.6.2 to confirm. The nuke works on 1.5.5.1 but does not in later versions. So the BDA-Nuke-module is broken due to the newest changes (to make them work in space, as @SuicidalInsanity reported in the release notes for 1.5.6.2.

I'd suggest reverting the nuke-code back to the 1.5.5.1 baseline.

Edited my post to correct versions of my tests, where the broken nuke behavior in atmosphere was found. 

@DocNappers@SuicidalInsanity

Did a test on the nukes in 1.5.7.0:  All buildings on the ground remain intact. I dropped a 50 MT bomb on the KSC. (see posts above, part also available for download and your tests, see link above). In 1.5.5.1 the buildings get destroyed (along with placed Kerbal Konstructs buildings from KSC extended and Kerbin side remastered), in 1.5.7.0 they don't.... Interestingly a flying plane gets destroyed in mid air in 1.5.7.0 (in contrast to 1.5.6.2, where even this doesn't work).

(In my tests, i used a bomb, that uses the BDA+ -Nuke-Module, and not thirdparty modules like in NorthKerbinDynamics). So the issue lies in the BDA+ dlls.

Does the release 1.5.7.0 by docnappers contain the fixed of 1.5.6.2, which has been only released on suicidalinsanitys git-fork?

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Does the release 1.5.7.0 by docnappers contain the fixed of 1.5.6.2, which has been only released on suicidalinsanitys git-fork?

Yes, v1.5.7.0 contains the changes from v1.5.6.2. We're busy making silly designs for the current RWP round, but will look into this bug shortly.