Stoke Space

tater

15 hours ago, tater said:

GBUB9v4XgAA49Cq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Nice. Moses Lake is not that far north. When I lived in the Seattle area, my middle school satellite club (really weather balloon club) stopped there for a potty break and stretching the legs after having recovered the balloons a few tens of miles to the east.

Very cool to have rocket development going on so close to home. Southern California and, of course, Texas and Florida feel so distant from Oregon.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Probably money saving measure. Why crumple 12 meter tank if you can get the same data from destroying 8 meter one?

The structural characteristics will be fairly different for compression, pressure, tension, etc, but if they are confident in their ability to model and translate/extrapolate the test result numbers from one form to the other then it's useful to them I suppose 

8 hours ago, darthgently said:

The structural characteristics will be fairly different for compression, pressure, tension, etc, but if they are confident in their ability to model and translate/extrapolate the test result numbers from one form to the other then it's useful to them I suppose 

Hmm good question... if you have a pressurized cylinder are the hoop stresses any different along the length? I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

55 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Hmm good question... if you have a pressurized cylinder are the hoop stresses any different along the length? I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong. 

The only thing that would make a difference is if your cylinder has different properties along the length.

• 3 weeks later...

I found an interview from last January. From what I could tell, it wasn't linked here. I haven't finished it, and it might not have anything new, especially since it looks like something done for high school students (the interviewer is a physics teacher), but I thought it was interesting to share. Katherine Cruz (the Stoke engineer being interviewed) works on their test site.

As a general question  that I don't believe I've seen an answer for, have they talked about the decision to use hydrogen for the regenerative heatshield? Is it simply impractical, at least on a vehicle this size, to use methane instead?

Additionally, it looks like there's going to be a new interview with Andy Lapsa on NSF, maybe new info (fingers crossed for engine development on the first stage)?

Edited by Spaceception
January, not Janurary, I blame being sick. Also NSF

LH2 has a higher specific heat than methane, so it’s more effective at cooling the heat shield. I’d cite my source, but it’s tricky on mobile; I just asked Siri and by the graphs it appears H2 is better 

2 hours ago, Spaceception said:

I found an interview from last January. From what I could tell, it wasn't linked here. I haven't finished it, and it might not have anything new, especially since it looks like something done for high school students (the interviewer is a physics teacher), but I thought it was interesting to share. Katherine Cruz (the Stoke engineer being interviewed) works on their test site.

As a general question  that I don't believe I've seen an answer for, have they talked about the decision to use hydrogen for the regenerative heatshield? Is it simply impractical, at least on a vehicle this size, to use methane instead?

Additionally, it looks like there's going to be a new interview with Andy Lapsa on NSF, maybe new info (fingers crossed for engine development on the first stage)?

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Formatting…

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

LH2 has a higher specific heat than methane, so it’s more effective at cooling the heat shield. I’d cite my source, but it’s tricky on mobile; I just asked Siri and by the graphs it appears H2 is better 

I figured that much, I didn't have specific heat on the top of my head though. But that aside, could it be effective enough if you used methane instead, or do the drawbacks outweigh any sort of commonality?

This kind of graph? table?

Fuel-heating-value-to-calculate-furnace-

Hydrogen is ~2.5x better on a MJ/kg basis, so you need more propellent to cool the same amount, but is it significant enough to be a show stopper? Hydrogen needs a higher mass ratio compared to methane for the same delta-v, so I'm wondering if it evens out at all.

Edited by Spaceception

I think methane could work, but there could be a side-benefit to hydrogen that Stoke is depending on: its low density means large tanks, which means that the second stage is also low-density and slows down much more quickly upon re-entry. I don't know where the constraints are any more than I know how good methane is for cooling, but Rocket Lab's Peter Beck has stated that small launchers can be incredibly tight on mass margins.

It might be a series of requirements: IF hydrogen AND low-density second stage EQUALS low consumption of fuel for cooling heatshield PLUS lighter heatshield AND high vacuum specific impulse... THEN hydrogen.

2 minutes ago, AckSed said:

I don't know where the constraints are any more than I know how good methane is for cooling, but Rocket Lab's Peter Beck has stated that small launchers can be incredibly tight on mass margins.

Yes, there's that as well, so if it is possible, it could be used on a larger successor to Nova that has those margins. Like how SpaceX discarded full reusability for Falcon 9 and went up to Starship. The low density being a possible benefit is a good point though!

11 hours ago, AckSed said:

It might be a series of requirements: IF hydrogen AND low-density second stage EQUALS low consumption of fuel for cooling heatshield PLUS lighter heatshield AND high vacuum specific impulse... THEN hydrogen.

Also, keep in mind: a lot of start ups gravitate toward kerosene for their first stage (or even solids). Because of the high density of kerosene, you tend to have a much thinner rocket. Not only are they going for full reusability, but they want a methane first stage, so it makes sense to use a wider stage due to methane’s low density, which in turn gives them more volume to work with for their hydrogen upper stage. 

• 3 weeks later...

And the video!

They're really moving quickly.

And according to this video (shared on the Stoke subreddit, I didn't watch it), they're planning for a full hot fire of the engine early next year

Edited by Spaceception
Added the video of the test

55 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

They're really moving quickly.

And according to this video (shared on the Stoke subreddit, I didn't watch it), they're planning for a full hot fire of the engine early next year

If they don't have "Get Stoked" + logo items in their merch store I'm going to be disappointed.  Because I want a hat

4 minutes ago, darthgently said:

If they don't have "Get Stoked" + logo items in their merch store I'm going to be disappointed.  Because I want a hat

There's a hoodie with their old colored flames logo that Andy Lapsa was wearing in his EDA interview, but they don't have it on the store. I don't know if it was an exclusive design, or they just stopped selling it when they updated the logo and stuff.