[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.7]

Gameslinx

34 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm aiming for a release within the next couple of months. There's not a huge amount of work left to do now, but life at the moment is very busy with work and moving house - you know how it goes these days. I'm at the stage where most of the time needed is spent on the configs themselves, the GUI and the documentation (which will be much better this time around) - most of the key optimizations and features are already in place.

The last major code feature I need to add is the collider system which I aim to completely redo and multithread as the current version is pretty bloated and could be executed better.

So yeah, hopefully in the next couple of months - although I will first be trialling a beta period similarly to what Blackrack is doing for his volumetric clouds (but not for anywhere near as long) to iron out any bugs that slipped the net and add that final polish that the mod desperately needs.

Good things come to those who wait sir. Keep up the amazing work, you and BlackRack are moving mountains in this game. :rep:

Hey there. Thanks for the wonderful mod, amazing to hear you're still working on it! :D

Just going to talk about a problem I encountered with Parallax version 2.0.6 where I would get crashing/freezing/out of memory issues during load screens, and what someone can do to resolve it. From the sounds of it, the upcoming version of Parallax may not have this problem, but I thought I'd post a little write-up anyway in case it helps anyone else using 2.0.6.

My system: Intel i5-13600K / 32GB memory / Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB / Ubuntu 22.04

I had been playing with a fairly hefty mod load for a while and thought everything was fine because framerates were good and "top" never showed KSP going over about 10GB memory usage. However, after a while of playing on that save, I started getting issues where my whole system would lock up during load screens and I would have to restart the computer. This was very confusing to diagnose, as I could see my system memory disappearing somewhere but it wasn't going to KSP. It also hardly seemed to matter how many mods I removed from my mod list :(

With the help of the "radeontop" utility I finally figured out what was happening.

Essentially, with Parallax installed, VRAM usage was spiking massively during load screens. It was maxing out my card's 8GB of VRAM in a few seconds, then maxing out the GTT memory as well. I'm not an expert, but from what I understand GTT is part of system memory and can be used as overflow for VRAM. By default GTT was set to 0.5 x RAM = 16GB. Once that filled up, the system was getting low on total memory and started paging things out. Obviously that's terrible for graphics performance, and resulted in everything locking up.

No idea if it's an AMD-only issue or a Linux-only issue or both. All I can say is it happens during load screens. After scene transition is done, VRAM usage drops down to a very sensible 25-50% (Without Parallax installed, VRAM hovers around 70-80% at all times and doesn't change during load screens)

So, if you're reading this and have the same problem, what can you do? Here are the options I figured out -

• Stop using Parallax 2.0.6 and wait patiently for the update...
  • Reduce your system's GTT allocation. I don't know how to do this or if it's a good idea. Didn't try it myself.
  • Close all other apps that may be using a lot of RAM (looking at you Chrome!)
  • Reduce your mod count so KSP uses less memory, leaving more room for GTT. Not a good solution for me, as I wanted to have more than just the stock planets.
  • Set 1/2 resolution textures in your graphics options. This is actually a pretty good solution... cuts VRAM usage by a lot, doesn't look as bad as you would think. Worth trying.
  • Upgrade your graphics card to one that has more VRAM. No guarantees it won't also get completely filled up.
  • Buy more RAM. Personally I was looking for an excuse to upgrade my system to 64GB anyway, so this is what I did. Now the GTT fills up to a whopping 32GB but there's so much room left over, nothing bad happens. I guess that's a win? :confused:

Worth noting that even if you don't actually run out of memory, this weird VRAM behaviour does seems to slow down load screens by a lot.

Anyway, thanks once again @Gameslinx for the awesome mod, and I'm very happy I can keep using it even if I did just end up throwing more RAM at the problem! And on the off chance any of what I wrote above is new information for you, I hope it's useful for your dev work.

20 hours ago, Electrosynthesis said:

snip

Thanks for the report. Current Parallax suffers majorly from VRAM consumption and it is one of the top priorities to reduce the usage in the upcoming rewrite. I'll look specifically into this but rest assured there's a good chance it has already been fixed. Current Parallax uses Kopernicus to do do a bunch of processing when a terrain quad is built. In theory it works fine but because of how the terrain system works in KSP it's pretty inefficient - Parallax is still applied to all quad subdivision levels above the minimum value, even if those quads aren't visible.

New parallax only does any form of processing on visible quads only which should in theory already help massively with the VRAM usage. Aside from that I've made a lot of optimizations to VRAM usage on the compute shader side which is where most of the usage comes from - the amount required to store one object is significantly less now.

Thanks for the report, I'll get back to you on if there is already an improvement shortly.

Posted (edited)

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but while I am getting scatters (and they are the new ones, along with the new geometry), they are of much lower density than the official photos. Is there a chance I installed it incorrectly or need to adjust a value in the config? As an example, there is little to no scatters on Minmus' flats. (The other areas have the new small rocks)

qq8f96U.png

Edited by Raideur Ng

It's been a while since I was on KSP1, hypothetically if I was to do an expanded stock system, if there was any planets added that aren't stock, and don't support Parallax is the worst case that there'll obviously be no scatter and such forth but otherwise all the planets that do support Parallax will work as intended?

58 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

It's been a while since I was on KSP1, hypothetically if I was to do an expanded stock system, if there was any planets added that aren't stock, and don't support Parallax is the worst case that there'll obviously be no scatter and such forth but otherwise all the planets that do support Parallax will work as intended?

Yes it should all work well together.

Hypothetically, could Parallax's scatter system be used to make scatter-based cities? I'm imagining something like an 'urban' biome which combines a large amount of scatters of things like roads and buildings in a tesselating structure. Is this something the mod could achieve?

Posted (edited)

Hi-

I've been using Parallax 1, and it seems to work great (aside from kerbals "climbing air" as they walk on low-g bodies). 

I've been trying to get the latest Parallax 2 to work.  It seems to install fine, i see no errors during the loading splash screens and i can load my game to the Space Center.  But when i try to do anything after that- go to the Tracking Station, or the VAB, anything,  the screen goes black to the loading screen, the progress indicator is frozen, and after about 5 minutes the whole game just unceremoniously exits. 

What am i doing wrong?  I'm happy to provide log files, just let me know where to send them.

-Fizz

Edited by Fizz

20 hours ago, Fizz said:

e screen goes black to the loading screen, the progress indicator is frozen, and after about 5 minutes the whole game just unceremoniously exits. 

How much RAM and VRAM do you have?

In case it matters, my system is running Linux Mint 21.  So it'll be using OpenGL, not DirectX.

I know that an earlier version of Parallax 2 did run on my system several months ago (i was definitely surrounded by bubbles on Eve, lol),  but i removed it since i was experiencing some other quirks. 

Those are apparently fixed in the newest version, so a week ago i though i'd give it another go.  But i can't get any actual gameplay going, even though no errors are indicated and i can load to the space center. 

-Fizz

On 6/5/2024 at 11:49 PM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Hypothetically, could Parallax's scatter system be used to make scatter-based cities? I'm imagining something like an 'urban' biome which combines a large amount of scatters of things like roads and buildings in a tesselating structure. Is this something the mod could achieve?

Depends what you mean by city. You could certainly have buildings scattered around, but it would be hard to make it look like a planned city. 

I was diving to the bottom of the sea, why when I pointed the camera towards the front of the vehicle did the "leaves and coral reefs" on the bottom of the sea disappear? , and when I pointed the camera behind the vehicle they appeared again

I downloaded Parallax (version 2.06), and when I load into game, it states that scatter is disabled, even when the config file states that it is enabled.
Specifications
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM, 6 GB VRAM (RTX 2060)
Parallax installed via CKAN
Here is the KSP.log file, along with the config file.
image.png?ex=6672e07f&is=66718eff&hm=fb37cef4aa1a0e471684dd72d6b4c751c0e4ab323f593ae39a8e2eec9d63987d&=

Edited by s4vior
Solved, RSS doesn't have Scatter compatibility for Parallax 2.0 yet.

Whenever I have both Waterfall and Parallax installed, the engine light effect produced by Waterfall causes an insane stutter for a few seconds after launch. Apparently this is caused by an interaction between Waterfall and Parallax. If I don't have Parallax installed, the stutter disappears. Does anyone know of a solution for this issue?

2 hours ago, RileyHef said:

Blackrack just released a great new deferred rendering mod, but it is currently incompatible with Parallax. Hoping this might be able to be addressed by either mod authors so the mods can work together!

I've been in contact with blackrack over the last few months regarding this so fear not - it's in the works!

I've been very busy IRL with work and moving houses so I'm further behind than I want to be. The deferred renderer support will be available for the upcoming rewrite and, since that is still a while away (I need to finish it + begin wider testing/early access, which will be via patreon), it wouldn't be fair to ignore support for the current version of the mod.

The project for Parallax as it is now is a mess compared to the rewrite which will take time to work through but it'll get support between the two mods quicker :)